New concierge reward... prepared to be jelly.. possibly

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
Almost certainly the answer is No.

CR hasn't given a definitive answer but he has on numerous occasions discussed the extreme difficulty in making the game actually perform if people were allowed to do that.

The game is what, 40 GB? It's all because of the art. If every player had their own art, it would literally be impossible to stream it all to the other players who can see their ship.

SC isn't some piece of shit game with terrible graphics that's easy to customize. The art is huge.
:sob:

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
From what I understand, there might be primary and secondary color schemes so while you could not do a fully custom paint job, you might be able to put on a livery color
Indeed, this seems far more plausible than truly custom skins. The art remains the same, with one or more variable (possibly even customizable) hues. Doing something along those lines would fit within the network limitations of users.

Bruce

Grand Admiral
May 23, 2017
RSI Handle
ABAP
SC isn't some piece of shit game with terrible graphics that's easy to customize. The art is huge.
Technically they could provide some material / color / transparency filtering capabilities on a certain elements of the ships .. obviously limiting people by existing materials, colors and transparency steps ... but to give definitive answer one should know much more than me about how exactly al of those are stored in the game and what is prefab'ed and what not :)

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
Technically they could provide some material / color / transparency filtering capabilities on a certain elements of the ships .. obviously limiting people by existing materials, colors and transparency steps ... but to give definitive answer one should know much more than me about how exactly al of those are stored in the game and what is prefab'ed and what not :slight_smile:
Which reminds me, CIG has that 'engineering manual for modders' that they sell. There's no way they're going to let you do all those other things ("create your own ship, modify a game mechanic or build your own planet") without being able to modify the existing textures.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
Which reminds me, CIG has that 'engineering manual for modders' that they sell. There's no way they're going to let you do all those other things ("create your own ship, modify a game mechanic or build your own planet") without being able to modify the existing textures.
you will be able to mod your own server which won't connect to CIG's

if you create something that lags your private server, that's won't be CIG's problem

people still haven't twigged to the fact that Star Citizen's 'game engine' is so much more - it's the next Pixar

a massive digital content creation platform that will allow anyone to create their own universe and tell stories in it

Chris Roberts' genius is evident in the way he got us to buy into funding it for him

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
you will be able to mod your own server which won't connect to CIG's

if you create something that lags your private server, that's won't be CIG's problem

people still haven't twigged to the fact that Star Citizen's 'game engine' is so much more - it's the next Pixar

a massive digital content creation platform that will allow anyone to create their own universe and tell stories in it

Chris Roberts' genius is evident in the way he got us to buy into funding it for him
I am happy doing that as long as i can call my ship something fun, and write it on the side in big letters.
I probably won't go as far as creating my own universe, though. That sounds like it'll take a long time. Say, 8 years? #StarCitizen2020

hardroc77

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 27, 2015
RSI Handle
hardroc77
BTW did you guys go ahead and purchase the booklet and card? If not its working now and doesn't except credits only fresh cash. $25 includes shipping which is pretty decent. Can't buy two of them and its limited in number 250 odd or something last I bought.
Yeah I bought one. Although, I don't know why as it's just a book of stuff we get for being special??

Forgot your password?