New HUD design and Engineering gameplay info

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
Like it... now we're starting to look like a AAA game... little things matter!

Engineering - seems like the 20 second kill might be a thing of the past for large ships. If a person needs to run around and fix stuff during combat... that is going to take time. Taking down a large ship is going to need minutes to take down, especially if people are running around trying to fix something. The instant kill crowd might get a little mad over this.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
This,, this... once in game a normal cruise can go side ways fast if you don't have the right crew...
Awesome... so much variation of gameplay this create just from the engineering stand point.
Can't wait to see this tech come alive..

🍻

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
Heads up, this is going to be a rare negative post;

Dan Truffin said it well right at the beginning of that segment.. "The purpose of prototyping.... is to prove that it's fun".

It's my opinion that nothing shown so far in the development makes for fun crew play. Turrets are necessary things but still shitty compared to flying another ship, and no matter how they rig it you are always fighting the host ship movement as well as the target. The upcoming missile mode offers a few seconds(?) worth of interaction in a fight. Shield management and fun aren't in the same timezone. Power management as shown.. well, if you like doing mazes from puzzle books this might offer something and could keep your team in the fight, which is satisfying in it's own right.

Component repair on the fly, during a fight might raise adrenaline levels for a small percentage of the population. But if it's just 'click here repeatedly' without any real problem solving involved, it's going to be boring within milliseconds.

I say this as a person whose primary marketable skill is systemic troubleshooting, across several disciplines but principally aviation related. There is much deep satisfaction when 'the problem' is found, no matter whether that's the wire, the code, the material, or the design.

Nothing they've shown for crew play is interesting to me.

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
Component repair on the fly, during a fight might raise adrenaline levels for a small percentage of the population. But if it's just 'click here repeatedly' without any real problem solving involved, it's going to be boring within milliseconds.
I'm pretty sure thats not the interface you will see as an engineer in the game. Maybe i'm projecting my own hopes, but they still will want you to run around look for the damaged fuel pipe, fix it with you repair tool and then look for the next problem. Maybe also cutting open parts of the ship to get access. (Thats at least what i remember has been pitched long ago)

I don't think we will have "true repair system" where you will open up a reactor and fix the individual cables etc.

Firebrand

Captain
Oct 13, 2020
RSI Handle
Qallus
The whole 'relay mapping' of the ship for the engineers/mechanics is very cool... but I still want to be able to switch my ship on and off remotely with a key fop like how I do with my car, in the lowlie 21st Century!
I love the holographic HUD (though I bet people are gonna be crying about how it clutters up the view, lol)... I'm still curious how they are gonna solve not being able to see any of it when the sun come streaming into the cockpit and you cant see for shizzay!
Though I have it and don't play it much, Elite Dangerous do 'HUD visibility' really well, I'd like to see similar legibitily in all conditions. They've managed contrast and legibility in the cockpit the really well.
flsoh4vfm3421.jpg

Last edited:

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Love the new HUD for the Gladius (or is for all the Aegis ships??), it really fell like a sci-fi ship now! I bet that on a ultrawide screen it will be amazing to see.
I wonder if, due to the implementation of the block construction of the HUD they plan to introduce different gauge for different type of ship, like, for example, a temprature indicator for the different cargo hold on dedicated cargo ship or a restoring % for quantum fuel in ship like the 100i...

The engineering prototype looks good but a bit clutter for the moment, looking forward to see the actual implementation in-game, but it feel like we are waaay away from it in the schedule.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Okey, so 4 out of 5 people I know won't be very interested in the engineering gameplay. The 5th would be absolutely thrilled, which I can say with total confidence, as I know myself pretty well.

Especially since this does indeed seem to indicate that it will take a good while to take down larger ships, but at the same time the larger ships will gradually lose functionality as well so it's not going to be like the attacker would feel frustrated shooting at a target for 10 minutes with nothing happening, if anything the larger ships would feel like they had some weight to them and taking one down, or even taking part of one down, would feel bit more important.

So, one interesting thing to speculate about is, how long will it take? Now, I'd say the engineering gameplay during combat won't be just "I fixed one thing before we blew up," it'll probably be more like
1. was managing ship resources
2. Ship started taking damage > rerouted some power
3. Took more damage > went out and fixed something
4. More damage > fixed some more, rerouted some more
5. Getting pretty beat up > Scraping together the last resources to try and escape / last hurrah / etc.
6. Engines going critical -> Everyone to escape pods
7. Ship blown up

Now, I don't know about every phase, but if you think about it, 6th needs to take like at least 30 seconds so people can hurriedly escape, 3, 4, 5 would each be couple minutes since you need time to figure out what to fix, where it is, going there, and then fixing it or replacing it... I'd questimate that on average, unless there is absolutely overwhelming power on the other side, it'd take like 10-15 minutes for large ships with lots of interior space, maybe 3-5 minutes for more medium sized ships that still have components accessible from interior, like freelancer, and then maybe 15-30 minutes for capital ships when being attacked from outside so you got some tangible benefit from infiltrating the ship either with a pre-planted saboteur or a boarding party.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Haven't watched the Glorious Leaders vid, but watched the source. Shame on me.

HUD looks awesome, futuristic, love it. My guess is we still won't see shit when facing certain light colored objects in space, but that's something I'm fine with. Part of gameplay and all that.

The engineering does grind my gears though. It's great they are working on this, gonna be a fine additon to gamplay, longer TTK great, yada yada...
This energy managment pipline system was mentioned years ago as a goal, and they just started working on it? WTF?
Note how the dev said "many things will need to be refactored". Again! For gods sake CIG, how many times will you rebuild the same damn ships and correlated systems again and again and again?? Haven't they heard of this thing called "thinking ahead"???? God dammit. At this point, they are outright proud of the fact they have to rebuild the whole damn thing again, wasting huge amounts of time and money! And again, this is NOT NEW! The idea that we will have this engineering gameplay system was announced years ago!

tldr.: add another year to the development cos we ain't gonna see this shit working for at least that long with all the refactors they have to do, and apparently didn't plan for, despite KNOWING they will have to build this into the game.
At this point I'm starting to believe the "it' will never be finished / they are going to milk you for your money for eternity" crowd, cos even if it genuinely isn't on purpose, it sure as hell feels like it

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Haven't watched the Glorious Leaders vid, but watched the source. Shame on me.

HUD looks awesome, futuristic, love it. My guess is we still won't see shit when facing certain light colored objects in space, but that's something I'm fine with. Part of gameplay and all that.

The engineering does grind my gears though. It's great they are working on this, gonna be a fine additon to gamplay, longer TTK great, yada yada...
This energy managment pipline system was mentioned years ago as a goal, and they just started working on it? WTF?
Note how the dev said "many things will need to be refactored". Again! For gods sake CIG, how many times will you rebuild the same damn ships and correlated systems again and again and again?? Haven't they heard of this thing called "thinking ahead"???? God dammit. At this point, they are outright proud of the fact they have to rebuild the whole damn thing again, wasting huge amounts of time and money! And again, this is NOT NEW! The idea that we will have this engineering gameplay system was announced years ago!

tldr.: add another year to the development cos we ain't gonna see this shit working for at least that long with all the refactors they have to do, and apparently didn't plan for, despite KNOWING they will have to build this into the game.
At this point I'm starting to believe the "it' will never be finished / they are going to milk you for your money for eternity" crowd, cos even if it genuinely isn't on purpose, it sure as hell feels like it
I feel your concern, but I assume the rework mentioned is not an entire new ship rework, but the same that has been already annunced for some models.
The engineering gameplay will require the phisicalised component in game before being implemented, and that need that EVERY ship has pannel where to access components, being internal or external. If the idea is carryed over like exposed in the video the Engineering will also require additional pannel in every ship for access them.

Most of the newly build ship already have those pannel build in (100i, Prospector, Vanguard Carrak etc...) but some of the oldest do no, like Aurora, Avengers, Gladius, Sabre etc, those ship will need an update to accomodate those item and to fit those request.

On toop of that the whole damage system should be reworked to take into account not only the single conponents, but also armor, weapon damage, bullet penetration and so on...

So yes, a LOT of things will need a rework, but this is an already planned thing and it will take into account those modification even in the early implementation (like some ship design already do).

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
"The purpose of prototyping.... is to prove that it's fun".
It's my opinion that nothing shown so far in the development makes for fun crew play. Turrets are necessary things but still shitty compared to flying another ship, and no matter how they rig it you are always fighting the host ship movement as well as the target. The upcoming missile mode offers a few seconds(?) worth of interaction in a fight. Shield management and fun aren't in the same timezone. Power management as shown.. well, if you like doing mazes from puzzle books this might offer something and could keep your team in the fight, which is satisfying in it's own right.
Okey, so 4 out of 5 people I know won't be very interested in the engineering gameplay...
Winning is fun - it will all come down to balance.

If a repairable 4-man ship can outlast and defeat 4 non-repairable solo ships, which side would you rather be on?

Ideally, the team with better discipline, skills, and tactics will prevail, numbers being equal.

And the way I see the game scaling, there will be targets like outposts and stations that small ships won't be able to damage significantly no matter how many you bring.

So if it wants bragging rights around large-scale combat an Org is going to have to get good at fighting with large, crewed ships.

I just hope I live long enough to see it all in-game ...

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
I really hope all the "manufacturer specific HUD designs" are sensible....

I'm fine with Drake has bright green and blocky letters and a semi-robotic sounding voice. It's utilitarian and functional, not pretty. and Origin has a nice chime sound when it boots up and sleek design with a posh British accent.

Not Anvil swaps the altimeter + velocity indicator and map + missile lock information for no reason and RSI flips all their display stuff to the opposite side.

Keep all the information accessible and easy to read first, and then tweak it to fit the specific ship manufacturers.

Engineering looks interesting I guess but hard to tell without having it on hand to personally try. Probably not my cup of tea.

Firebrand

Captain
Oct 13, 2020
RSI Handle
Qallus
I really hope all the "manufacturer specific HUD designs" are sensible....

I'm fine with Drake has bright green and blocky letters and a semi-robotic sounding voice. It's utilitarian and functional, not pretty. and Origin has a nice chime sound when it boots up and sleek design with a posh British accent.
I wonder what the ship voice in a Crusader ship will sound like, what accent?!?! 🤓

Forgot your password?