New Kickstarter "STARFIGHTER INC"

CitizenDad

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 3, 2014
RSI Handle
SlvmL0rd
And I think that this is a great spot to discuss just how Starfighter Inc and other games (even SC) can avoid becoming anything like MWO, or hahaha sorry can't say this name with a straight face "Transverse" or whatever the frakk it was called.

AT ALL COSTS PLEASE DO NOT MAKE ANY OF THE MISTAKES TRANSVERSE OR MWO HAS MADE. Please Lord, please don't let that happen.

Reactions: Bozar

Lienna

Space Marshal
Feb 27, 2014
RSI Handle
Lienna
I'm curious, but I have to admit the very mention of kickstarter exclusive ships makes me worry. I'm all for unique skins or early access to cool ships, but when someone who kick started the game ends up with a ship that might end up OP (or useless which is another real risk) it's a bit concerning.

Any word if there will be non exclusive ships that are functionally identical but look different or if these ships are functionally unique?

Bozar

Commander
May 6, 2015
RSI Handle
none
I haven't backed the game yet. Mostly because I literally do not have the money to spend atm. (Barely getting by on disability)

I wouldn't mind, though.
100% understandable :)

OK, now I'm impressed, drop of the hat involvement for accessibility issues and concerns is mind boggling. Nobody does that. My hats off to you and your fellow Danes(I'm half one). :) When I have the money, I will pledge.
I deeply appreciate that. (Mange tak!) :)
I'm still taking it with a grain of salt because this guy is a Community Manager, and from what I've read on the internet, he's unpaid. So his word has a lot less weight than a direct statement from a developer who calls the actual shots.
That is true. Most of the team is unpaid and have been since the beginning. We do have small investor, who's is covering some of our expenses, like for freelancer artist (which are super expensive!) and for the (currently) key people + some other things. I have worked and been paid as a CM for years for other companies. Starfighter Inc is a passion project for me and many of the team members are good friends of mine.

We have contracts saying that we will get payed once there's money for it (post Kickstarter & once the game has been fully released). But still that amount won't be anywhere near covering a full time salary. Th
at's just how it is to be an Indie developer. You have to sacrifice a lot. Not only work for a very low salary, but also spend less time with your family/friends after our regular jobs. Because most of us work on the game in our spare time.

But for what it's worth, I am one of the core people of Impeller Studios. I was part of the first few to start designing this game back in 2013 and I will be running all the Community & relation based marketing.

@Bozar
So... Im a uni student and have zero spare money cause i just broke my car again. However if i find a few spare $ id quite happily support this project. XWA was (is) one of my favourite space combat sims.

Just want to wish the team good luck, go hard
Of course and I am sorry to hear about your car. Someone slammed his door into mine at the parking lot few week ago, and simply drove away without doing nothing. Nothing massive but I have to pay it all myself because I can't find the guy who did it :-(

We will appreciate any $ you can spare. We also appreciate people sharing our project to their friends. Which is also worth a lot in $ :)

Thanks you very much :)

/Bozar
CM @Impeller Studios

Bozar

Commander
May 6, 2015
RSI Handle
none
I just backed for one of the starter packages. ;)
You awesome! thank you so much :)
It's been a whole day now, and I still don't see the CC on the kickstarter video.
We are delayed with the CC :-( I'm am so sorry. meanwhile here the doc with the transcript https://docs.google.com/document/d/11jDpLZJHLvA6TrXBEH2n1HRCHAwTk23vcttCA42emRI/ Anyone with the link can view it :)

I'm curious, but I have to admit the very mention of kickstarter exclusive ships makes me worry. I'm all for unique skins or early access to cool ships, but when someone who kick started the game ends up with a ship that might end up OP (or useless which is another real risk) it's a bit concerning.

Any word if there will be non exclusive ships that are functionally identical but look different or if these ships are functionally unique?
Your concern is very reasonable. The exclusive ships will not be more powerful that the regular ships of same type after the KS campaign. We've seen way to many games make that mistake and we won't make the same. We will make sure to balance it properly ;-)

/Bozar
CM @Impeller Studios

Last edited:

Bozar

Commander
May 6, 2015
RSI Handle
none
Sorry just dropped 5K on Star Citizen taped out as far as new crowd funding is concerned. Besides need to save for a rif
All good :) SC also need the money (just kidding) I can't wait to play SC myself :)

Sethious

Space Marshal
Staff member
Jan 1, 2014
RSI Handle
SethiousFel
Your concern is very reasonable. The exclusive ships will not be more powerful that the regular ships of same type after the KS campaign. We've seen way to many games make that mistake and we won't make the same. We will make sure to balance it properly ;-)

/Bozar
CM @Impeller Studios
So, let me get this straight. If I back for $10,000, I get to create my own ship? Is it a ship that anyone will be able to use or just something I can keep around to pull out around special occasions and the like?

Also, would TEST Distillery and Brewing Company work as a Corporation name?

Bozar

Commander
May 6, 2015
RSI Handle
none
In MWO's defense, it's gotten a lot better since IGP left.

In any case this is interesting. The fact that it's being made by the X-Wing/Tie Fighter guys lends it some immediate weight, and I do kind of think that fans of space sims have a.... maybe not a duty but a slight obligation to help bring the genre back from the dead. However, the lack of actual content on display here is concerning. I'm almost certainly going to end up backing at some point, but my recommendation (since we are lucky enough to have the attention of the (Fixed) very-busy Community Manager) would be to get some kind of sizzle reel up ASAP. You're gonna hook a lot more fish with a big shiny lure.

Thanks for that :-) We should have some real sizzle very soon :-)

Bozar

Commander
May 6, 2015
RSI Handle
none
So, let me get this straight. If I back for $10,000, I get to create my own ship? Is it a ship that anyone will be able to use or just something I can keep around to pull out around special occasions and the like?

Also, would TEST Distillery and Brewing Company work as a Corporation name?
You will be designing a ship with an artist from Impeller Studios. But the ship will be usable by all players but it will take a while (for them) to unlock.

Regarding TEST Distillery and Brewing, that will be fine as long as TEST isn't an acronym for something nasty. ;-)

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
They seem to be a nice Valkyrie competitor, not SCs.
And they are waaaay behind compared to it.

But they strive for the same feel.
CS in space.

Reactions: CitizenDad

Devastat3

Grand Admiral
Apr 17, 2015
RSI Handle
Devastat3

I noticed what they tried to do there with 1 of those skins.. nice try.. nice try.. LOL

Last edited:

CitizenDad

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 3, 2014
RSI Handle
SlvmL0rd
"Another day and we're closing in on halfway to our goal, with 30 days left to go! You, our community of backers and future players have done an outstanding job of supporting this project and spreading the word around the web. From the team, thank you all so much for being great partners in this endeavor.

Also, thanks for being patient with us as we attempt to get back to every email, comment and message we get. Your feedback is incredibly important to us and we're spending quite a bit of time on our internal Slack chat discussing specific feedback from the community, before responding with what he hope is a thoughtful answer. Our goal is to be even more responsive as we get a hang of this whole Kickstarter thing, so please stay in touch!

We have a few quick updates we wanted to share this evening:

New Reward Tiers
Folks asked for a few more reward tiers, so we got together with the team, brainstormed on some new ideas, and came up with some pretty rad new tiers, the first two of which we rolled out today, in addition to the "Early-ish Bird Special" and "On Time Bird Special" as those tiers have sold out.

$500 or More: The Jarvis Package
Custom Voiceover Pack (subject to creative review) Work with Starfighter Inc. Writer & Executive Producer Coray Seifert to create your own custom voiceover pack, triggering during key events. Ever want your space sim to say “That’s the way, uh huh uh huh, I like it.” whenever you get a kill? Well, now's your chance!

Custom Digital Taunts (subject to creative review) Like above, but your opponents will hear it! Gotta keep it clean, keep it consistent with the universe, and keep it (reasonably) respectful, but this is finally your opportunity to unleash that perfect post-kill pun you’ve been holding onto all these gamer years.

Optional: Impeller Publishes Your Custom VO/Taunts with the Game If you want, we’ll make your custom VO pack available to all other players in the game, making you an instant celebrity or infamous n’er do well, depending on the content of your VO pack.

$1,000 or More: The Hero's Journey
Hand-Drawn In-Cockpit Digital Portrait (subject to creative review) One of the exceptionally talented Starfighter Inc. artists will draw an awesome portrait of you (or your kid/wife/dog/etc.) in the cockpit of any in-game ship. Whether pensive and reflective or pitched in combat (you’ll be able to give us some direction), this shot will be the most badass representation of you that has ever existed. Plus, it’ll make a sweet Facebook profile picture.

24x36 Glossy Poster Portrait Print We’ll send you a high-quality glossy 24x36 print of the above, perfect for showing your friends, loved ones, or lovers how preposterously badass you are.

Canonized in the Game Story (subject to creative review)Based on your portrait, the Starfighter Inc. writing team will make you a central character in the game story. We’ll work with you set some direction (protagonist/antagonist, company affiliation, charisma ability modifier, etc.) and then include your likeness as a central story pillar as the franchise moves forward.

Like these reward tiers? Do you have reward tiers you'd like to see? Hit us up in the comments. We'd love to hear from you!

Frequently Asked Frequently Asked Questions
Of our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) we're noticing a few Frequently Asked Frequently Asked Questions (FAFAQs). We want to post a few answers and a few extra details to those FAFAQs, as well as come up with an excuse to use the term FAFAQs a few more times.

-----

Are you going to have singleplayer/story content? We hope so! We have some stretch goals that have story and narrative elements that we're extremely excited about. We hope you'll be excited too.

That said, we want to make sure that we have the runway to make a great game at its core and that happens through PvP multiplayer. If we can build a great foundation via Multiplayer and then lay a singleplayer or co-op story on top of that, we'll be able to pair great gameplay with great story the way that so many of the X-Wing games did.

-----

What are you going to do with monetization? We think we have a really unique model that capitalizes on the benefits of both free-to-play and premium games.

The game itself is premium. You can buy it and then own it for life. We'll have DLC and new content packages that launch from time to time which you can buy, or not.

One of the things we love about free to play games is that there are always tons of people to play with. So, we want to offer a basic free access to the game. This will basically be a trial where players can jump in and use stock ships, but can't customize or level them up.

It'll take some balancing to get it just right, but we think it'll really appeal to players from both ends of the spectrum. To further clarify:

• We are a premium game. To buy this game when it launches, you have to pay money. We are not a free to play game.
  • We are not a pay to win game. Wallet warriors will have no advantage over everyone else in our game. DLC ships, weapons and gear won’t be better, just different. Our goal is to have all ships balanced against each other.
  • Are you going to have microtransactions? We’re exploring every option. Really, what’s going to determine our ultimate direction is what the community wants; what you want. So tell us! What do you want to see in the game?
-----

Are backer-only ships going to be OP? Isn't that Pay-to-Win?

The backer-only ships, just like every ship in the game, will be balanced against every other ship in the game. We don't want to have a dominant strategy for any ship, weapon or other gear, because then the game is just boring (see Tube, Noob).

What's cool about these backer ships is that they're pushed to the extreme for doing one thing.

The Shrike for example, is probably going to be one of (if not THE) fastest, most maneuverable ships in the game with stupid good IW gear. That said, it's got basically no armor, the weapons pretty much couldn't hurt your grandmother, and it's tiny. So, it's great for information warfare, it's a great scout, and its super fun to fly (also it looks badass), but you're not going to go toe-to-toe with a heavy fighter.

Part of the coolness is also that you'll see dozens of others ships all the time, but seeing a Shrike will be fairly rare, so you'll be the talk of the gritty mercenary town, so to speak.

What we want to do is reward our backers with weird, cool ships that nobody can get when the game goes live. Hopefully everyone is into that, but if you have any feedback, we're all ears!

-----

As always, you can see the FAQs and FAFAQs at the bottom of the campaign page.

In all seriousness, thanks for everything that you do as backers, supporters and co-conspirators. This campaign has been incredibly reward to our entire team at Impeller and we really do appreciate the contributions of each and every one of you.

Sincerely,

/Coray & The Starfighter Inc. Team
"

Frakking sweet. Love seeing stuff like this happen, in real time. Oh yeah +1 For the new way of making Video Games!

Here is my pledge to give at least $1000 to this project. You can all hold me to it @Bozar :cool:

Bozar

Commander
May 6, 2015
RSI Handle
none
@SlumLord You're awesome. I really appreciate the kind words and support from you guys. You are helping us making this happen :-)

We are close to $100.000 which is more than we hoped for on 3rd/4th day. It tends to drop around 3rd day and then just go up again in the last week or so. So we are very happy at the moment :-)

Thanks again guys!

Sethious

Space Marshal
Staff member
Jan 1, 2014
RSI Handle
SethiousFel
You will be designing a ship with an artist from Impeller Studios. But the ship will be usable by all players but it will take a while (for them) to unlock.

Regarding TEST Distillery and Brewing, that will be fine as long as TEST isn't an acronym for something nasty. ;-)
What class of ship would we be talking about? Would I start off with said ship?

And TEST is just TEST. Never has stood for anything else. Some people can make up stuff, but if comes from Reddit with Test Post Please Ignore.

Forgot your password?