New Ships IAE

Gucci

Space Marshal
Nov 17, 2015
RSI Handle
Ras-al-Ghul
150 meters +/-
Mining/refining capability

I think it may have more of a surprise for us than we think though based on the design/pics:
Oddyssey.png

This thing splits in half!
(or I hope it does lol)

Why else go through the trouble of the 3 pairs of engines, that lower bridge/cockpit, the seam/split line?

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
"Survey distant frontiers and explore the furthest reaches of space with the MISC Odyssey, the most advanced and complete exploration ship available to civilians. Designed to be supremely self-sufficient, the Odyssey comes with an on-board refinery with built-in mining tech, expansive capacity for supplies, and a hangar capable of housing a small ship, along with comprehensive, comfortable accommodations for a crew of seven."

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
150 meters +/-
Mining/refining capability

I think it may have more of a surprise for us than we think though based on the design/pics:
View attachment 21744

This thing splits in half!
(or I hope it does lol)

Why else go through the trouble of the 3 pairs of engines, that lower bridge/cockpit, the seam/split line?
Hmm looks very similar to the Endevour.... more like the first look to the re-concept and start development of it rather then a compleately new ship.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Looks like the dorsal opens like a Polaris (probably sans lift) for the hangar, and that the stern lowers a ramp for a vehicle bay. Think of a Polaris with no weapons. If it includes an advanced scan suite, might make a great companion to the Polaris for deep excursions.

The flat section that looks like hangar doors is easily 1/4 the length of the ship, so at least 35 meters. That looks like can hold some of the lengthier ships like the 300 series, Khartu-Al, Reliant, and Talon. This would open up both utility and defense strategies the Carrack doesn't possess. I can see why they'd want to support the Reliant series, but having on hand the 300, Khartu-Al and Talon would offer huge benefits from their stealth. Support ships can go where Momma can't if they're stealth.

So first pass judgement: this is a direct competitor to the Carrack, with far less defensive capability, but larger crew and interesting options the Carrack does not possess (yet--modules TBD). Adding both mining and refining to an explorer makes it a rangeless craft. Count me interested.

1637258796322.png

Last edited:

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
This is one of those ships you don't need to own. It's going to have so many owners who need crew it will be easy to find one to fly on. Since it is deep space, it's a great place to put an alt.

The cost of being in charge is you need to spend a lot of time fashioning a great crew who will show when planned and put the time in, scanning, mining, refining, etc. Without support ships, this is totally at the mercy of anyone with an inch to own it. Looks like at least a $750 ship to me. If it's the only ship that can mine and refine, every fleet needs one or three. Add Liberators for extreme duration utility. the Cutty might fit in the hangar. the Nomad certainly will. You can imagine setting this down on a parge pile, dumping some Rocs, and mining. Refine and store quantanium and sendin everything else back to civilization aboard a Cutty to pay the bills.

I would love to take this into Vanduul space to build support for the Sons of Orion right under their scabby noses. Kill them all.

Last edited:

Gucci

Space Marshal
Nov 17, 2015
RSI Handle
Ras-al-Ghul
Looks like the dorsal opens like a Polaris (probably sans lift) for the hangar, and that the stern lowers a ramp for a vehicle bay. Think of a Polaris with no weapons. If it includes an advanced scan suite, might make a great companion to the Polaris for deep excursions.

The flat section that looks like hangar doors is easily 1/4 the length of the ship, so at least 35 meters. That looks like can hold some of the lengthier ships like the 300 series, Khartu-Al, Reliant, and Talon. This would open up both utility and defense strategies the Carrack doesn't possess. I can see why they'd want to support the Reliant series, but having on hand the 300, Khartu-Al and Talon would offer huge benefits from their stealth. Support ships can go where Momma can't if they're stealth.

So first pass judgement: this is a direct competitor to the Carrack, with far less defensive capability, but larger crew and interesting options the Carrack does not possess (yet--modules TBD). Adding both mining and refining to an explorer makes it a rangeless craft. Count me interested.
Yes, the hangar looks to be between 25x35 to 26x40 in dimensions based on your pic and some extrapolation.
Where did you find the comparison pic for scale to the Carrack in your pic btw?

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I don't have a pic of the Carrack's hangar for comparison. i just know it doesn't fit the longer small ships like 300 series, Talon, Khartu-Al, Reliant, etc.

Any bay will fit an Arrow. No bays fit Vanguards (save maybe on the Bengal.) It's all the ships between that are in question. The 300 series, Reliant series, Khartu-Al and Talons are water-shed. They're a good place to focus. The closest that seems might fit but experience says not, would be the Cutty. It looks could fit but CIG generally doesn't want medium ships in these hangars.

it's worth keeping in mind that if a ship fits by less than two meters, it is probably not practical to fly it on and off the ship with the hangar regularly, unless that ship has a tractor it uses to stow ships, like the Liberator. Carrying mined goods to market is probably best done by Nomad unless you can load cargo without landing in the hangar. If a tractor can move cargo without using the hangar, a Lancer is likely best to haul to market just due to its stealth. (All subject to CIG fixing the fubar EM stats from 3.15.)

I think as a lone ship with just 5 crew I would choose the Carrack to explore, but with 7 crew and several ships, this could be a better option. Mining and refining is hard to beat. They must be a central "creww" role. Otherwise I see pilot and gunner--crew of just 2.

Last edited:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
We currently don't have a lot of problem crewing the MOLE, with a crew of 4-5 during mining ops, so 7 shouldn't really be a problem either. I'm kind of wondering if there isn't more plan for something in the ship, because a crew of 7 seems to be largely wasted if there aren't more weapon and mining stations. I guess we'll see.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
This is one of those ships you don't need to own. It's going to have so many owners who need crew it will be easy to find one to fly on. Since it is deep space, it's a great place to put an alt.

The cost of being in charge is you need to spend a lot of time fashioning a great crew who will show when planned and put the time in, scanning, mining, refining, etc. Without support ships, this is totally at the mercy of anyone with an inch to own it. Looks like at least a $750 ship to me. If it's the only ship that can mine and refine, every fleet needs one or three. Add Liberators for extreme duration utility. the Cutty might fit in the hangar. the Nomad certainly will. You can imagine setting this down on a parge pile, dumping some Rocs, and mining. Refine and store quantanium and sendin everything else back to civilization aboard a Cutty to pay the bills.

I would love to take this into Vanduul space to build support for the Sons of Orion right under their scabby noses. Kill them all.
I'm probably stupid for hoping this, but as it's this ships concept sale, I'm hoping that its cost this round would be somewhere in the $400-$500 range to maximize initial sales by undercutting the $600 Carrack, then the next time it's up for sale they move the prize closer until its cost matches the Carrack.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
vehicle_DescARGO_RAFT=Manufacturer: Argo Astronautics\nFocus: Cargo\n\nThe Argo RAFT features a hefty 96 SCU cargo hold, and is capable of carrying up to three standardized 32 SCU cargo containers. Perfect for entry-level haulers and old pros alike, the RAFT is an ideal solution for reliable local freight transport.
So, it's a freight transport. I suppose the acronym is something like "Rabble AF Freight Transport," what with 96 SCU capacity.

This also confirms that the standard large cargo containers are 32 SCU. Good, I can use this when speculating carrying capacities of upcoming ships with unconfirmed capacities.

I'm probably stupid for hoping this, but as it's this ships concept sale, I'm hoping that its cost this round would be somewhere in the $400-$500 range to maximize initial sales by undercutting the $600 Carrack, then the next time it's up for sale they move the prize closer until its cost matches the Carrack.
Well, I'll be stupid with you.

If it's the only ship that can mine and refine
Orion. So, it'd be the second ship that can mine and refine.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Don't forget the email sent out by RSI has this tidbit

• New vehicles debuting on November 19, 21, 23, 25, and 27.
19ths new vehicle is the Anvil Spartan
21st will be something from Aegis
23rd will be something from Crusader/Tumbril
25th ARGO Raft
27th MISC Odyssey

Unless they are including the Redeemer and Ares as new ships in which case we seem to already know much.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Unless they are including the Redeemer and Ares as new ships in which case we seem to already know much.
Well, I'm 'fraid they are. Which is a bit stupid as these are by no means new ships.
Well, someone remind me to telepathically apologize to Chris if they actually give us 5 brand new ships.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Don't forget the email sent out by RSI has this tidbit

• New vehicles debuting on November 19, 21, 23, 25, and 27.
19ths new vehicle is the Anvil Spartan
21st will be something from Aegis
23rd will be something from Crusader/Tumbril
25th ARGO Raft
27th MISC Odyssey

Well, I'm 'fraid they are. Which is a bit stupid as these are by no means new ships.
Well, someone remind me to telepathically apologize to Chris if they actually give us 5 brand new ships.
That"s already 3 enitrely new items and 2 (3 with variants) new-to-flyable ships to choose from. Adding another 2 entirely new would be highly oversaturating the market and wasting a lot of potential imo. A relatively low-cost vehicle (Spartan) , a mid-range something (Raft) and a high-end (Odessey) already covers most wallets. The more they can prolong the funding-with-ships part the better off they are, so even if they already have other ships mostly done, they won't be released in large batches.

TLDR.: ships sales is like drugs trade. You want returning customers, aka addicts for as long as possible.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
That"s already 3 enitrely new items and 2 (3 with variants) new-to-flyable ships to choose from. Adding another 2 entirely new would be highly oversaturating the market and wasting a lot of potential imo. A relatively low-cost vehicle (Spartan) , a mid-range something (Raft) and a high-end (Odessey) already covers most wallets. The more they can prolong the funding-with-ships part the better off they are, so even if they already have other ships mostly done, they won't be released in large batches.

TLDR.: ships sales is like drugs trade. You want returning customers, aka addicts for as long as possible.
You talk like they have not hooked up the IV and are sucking you dry. :) But I see your point.

Forgot your password?