opinion, will the M2 Hercules be worth buying? i bought the upgrade but haven't applied it yet

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
I bought a upgrade from the Origin 600I Exploration to the m2 but have not applied it yet, I already have a carrack and actually prefer the looks and feel of the carrack over the 600i for exploration.

atpbx

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2016
RSI Handle
General Fisting
Ok, so the Hercules series will be amazing they have always looked fantastic, practical, no stupid crew requirements, they have pilot guns and decent cargo.

However, they are stupidly overpriced, they were priced at a time when CIG were at the absolute peak of their greed and it back fired massively with the backers, not helped by them being dumped on to the market the very next month after they stopped offering LTI on concepts for credits, they then jacked the credit prices massively over the cash prices, and offered free vehicles with the cash ships as well.

It was a PR disaster.

So, the key with the Hercules series is by all means get them, but only if you can get them for a reasonable price as they ARE a rip off, even in Star Citizen terms.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
What do you want to do with the M2?

Do you have a Tonk or Ballista?

The advantage the 600i has over the Carrack is it is more soloable. Granted that is the only advantage it has, but for some it is a significant difference.

The M2 has, roughly, the same cargo capacity as the Carrack, and CIG has hinted at the Hercules series being relatively short ranged, so I am not sure the M2 has a real advantage over the Carrack.

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
Ok, so the Hercules series will be amazing they have always looked fantastic, practical, no stupid crew requirements, they have pilot guns and decent cargo.

However, they are stupidly overpriced, they were priced at a time when CIG were at the absolute peak of their greed and it back fired massively with the backers, not helped by them being dumped on to the market the very next month after they stopped offering LTI on concepts for credits, they then jacked the credit prices massively over the cash prices, and offered free vehicles with the cash ships as well.

It was a PR disaster.

So, the key with the Hercules series is by all means get them, but only if you can get them for a reasonable price as they ARE a rip off, even in Star Citizen terms.
yeah, it cost me 5 dollars for the upgrade, no biggie.

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
What do you want to do with the M2?

Do you have a Tonk or Ballista?

The advantage the 600i has over the Carrack is it is more soloable. Granted that is the only advantage it has, but for some it is a significant difference.

The M2 has, roughly, the same cargo capacity as the Carrack, and CIG has hinted at the Hercules series being relatively short ranged, so I am not sure the M2 has a real advantage over the Carrack.
i was considering for a small crew decent cargo hauler. i do not have a tonk, and to be honest, i don't think i would want to fly my own tonk into combat, i would rather it be loaded onto another persons transport so i could deploy it for fast combat.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
I bought a upgrade from the Origin 600I Exploration to the m2 but have not applied it yet, I already have a carrack and actually prefer the looks and feel of the carrack over the 600i for exploration.
As I've suggested to Blind Owl when he asked this very similar question: you already have the update package, simply wait for the M2 to came into play, we are TEST, there will be already plenty of them to borrow to ry it out, so try it out first and then decide if is wort to apply the upgrade or not. No stress attech.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
i was considering for a small crew decent cargo hauler. i do not have a tonk, and to be honest, i don't think i would want to fly my own tonk into combat, i would rather it be loaded onto another persons transport so i could deploy it for fast combat.
Considering that the sole purpose is the cargo hauler, have you consider the Caterpillar? Cargo capacity is similar, and the CAT could benefit in the future of the modules support, being able to be tuned for different situation, like vehicle trasport, medical barge, exploration purporse, maybe even some specifical roles like refuelling and repair operation....
You could loose something in the short term, but the gamble could pay off a lot more in the long run.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Considering that the sole purpose is the cargo hauler, have you consider the Caterpillar? Cargo capacity is similar, and the CAT could benefit in the future of the modules support, being able to be tuned for different situation, like vehicle trasport, medical barge, exploration purporse, maybe even some specifical roles like refuelling and repair operation....
You could loose something in the short term, but the gamble could pay off a lot more in the long run.
just a quick addition.
The Carrack and 600i are also modular. The Carrack modules are likely to be as versatile as the Cat, and the the 600i less so.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
The ability to carry a Tonk or Ballista, is the only real advantage an M2 has, especially if the range is short as implied.

Given your response, I recommend sitting tight, especially if the CCU is in your hangar. Then the price won't go up when the M2 is released.

Sayora

Grand Admiral
Donor
Oct 23, 2018
RSI Handle
Sayora
I have a C2, as my plan is to use it as the Large cargo transport option in my fleet, so more about cargo then transporting tanks (but that's a nice bonus) so the M2 for me, is way overpriced to lose a bunch of SCU to gain one gun, some armor and be slower to boot. But that's my use case yours maybe different!

Especially now that the data miners have shown that the C2,M2, A2 all have the same component options (All 2xS3 Coolers, 2xS3 power plants, 2xS3 Shields)

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Thanks for this discussion, I'm sitting on an Starfarer Gemini CCU to the C2 and I also can't commit. Waiting for the ship to be in 'Verse and have a go on one before taking the plunge. I'm thinking I will, the Star-G flies worse than a Porta-Toilet on a Bungee rope.

Kaus_Borealis

Grand Admiral
Jun 9, 2019
RSI Handle
Kaus_Borealis
The ability to carry a Tonk or Ballista, is the only real advantage an M2 has, especially if the range is short as implied.

Given your response, I recommend sitting tight, especially if the CCU is in your hangar. Then the price won't go up when the M2 is released.
M2 also comes with more armor against balistic ammo and more defensive turrets than C2.

Last edited:

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
I have a C2 and do not plan to upgrade it to a M2. One more turret and more armour does not compensate lesser cargo to me, in addition to the price difference.

I also have a Carrack. Those 2 ships are of different class really.

Maybe get a C2 CCU if you can afford too?

Last edited:

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
I thought that of the 3 only the A2 could not carry tanks, but C2 and M2 can. Or is it just the M2 as you say?

atpbx

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2016
RSI Handle
General Fisting
I have a C2 and do not plan to upgrade it to a M2. One more turret and more armour does not compensate lesser cargo to me, in addition to the price difference.

Heres the problem with the M2 if you have a Carrack, theres nothing you can do with an M2 that you cant do with a Carrack.

With what John said about potential future modules, and maybe being able to fit one that can carry vehicles up to Ballista size, then there is absolute no point in owning an M2 if you already own a Carrack.

The C2 and A2 are different prospects, as the C2 has nearly 200 SCU more than a Carrack and the A2 is the top tier ground assualt/drop ship.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Just from a stats perspective the C2 and the A2 seem to be the only viable ships for me. The C2 has a pretty massive cargo capacity or can carry bigger ground vehicles. The M2 has a few extra guns and lower cargo. The A2 has an OK cargo capacity or carry 1 Tonk, but it's got a ton more guns and also bombs.

I plan to use the A2 as a ground/bunker mission tool. Come in a drop bombs, use the underside turrets to clear the area, then land and drive out with Tonk to clean up. It's stupidly priced though, but I really love it.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino

Well not sure about the armor, but the M2 actuall add 4 more turret: two in the front with 2xS3 and two under the "wings" with 1xS4... basically trasforming the standard cargo liftter into a sort of "hot zone cleaner" similar to the Walkyrie... just way more bigger....

Heres the problem with the M2 if you have a Carrack, theres nothing you can do with an M2 that you cant do with a Carrack.

With what John said about potential future modules, and maybe being able to fit one that can carry vehicles up to Ballista size, then there is absolute no point in owning an M2 if you already own a Carrack.

The C2 and A2 are different prospects, as the C2 has nearly 200 SCU more than a Carrack and the A2 is the top tier ground assualt/drop ship.
I don't think the Carrak will ever have the space to carry along a ballista: I don't have the specs and the exact mesure, but the (supposed) swappable modules feels either too short and too narrow to fit one. It may not seams but the Ballista is not only tall but also preatty a large and long vehicle.

Also in general don't limit the comparison of two ships to only one caracteristics of if: carrying capacity doesn't make two ship equivalent, there are a lots of aspect into every ship to be considered like, for example, the shape of the cargo grid (freelancer owner should know ....), the fuel efficiency, the general handling of the ship, the crew requirement, the internal amenity space, the eventual limited availability (right now we are able to purchase every ship via pladge, more or less, in the future that is not granted) and so on...

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
I thought that of the 3 only the A2 could not carry tanks, but C2 and M2 can. Or is it just the M2 as you say?
IIRC all three will. I was comparing the M2 to a Carrack, which the OP also has.

Reactions: Blind Owl
Forgot your password?