Orison Diving Club

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I'm out to see how deep I can dive in Crusader.

Orison city is about 80,000 meters up and the centre of the planet is about 7,500km away from there meaning there is a definitive ground/sea level at 0 meters.

So far I have dove with the 350r, a Taurus, the Starfarer and the mighty Aurora MR. The below screenshots are the ships in their dive and the last frame of the video I was taking before the ship exploded from the pressure:

350r: 16,879
350r.JPG
350r depth.JPG

Taurus: 16,833
Taurus.JPG
Taurus depth.JPG

Starfarer: 15,733 (Glitched when exploded and left me freefalling without a ship. Had to backspace respawn so am not counting this one)
Starfarer.JPG
Starfarer depth.JPG

Aurora MR: 16,760
Aurora MR.JPG
Aurora MR depth.JPG

Considering the glitch with the Starfarer, it looks like there is a set max depth of about 16,900m/16,700m for all ships.

I would invite you to join the experiment but at the moment there is a glitch which means most ships which are destroyed are not able to be reclaimed on insurance - I cannot claim any of the above ships now aside from the Starfarer which glitched when it blew up and was able to be claimed, which is weird.

Please hold until that has been fixed, unless you really want to join the illustrious ranks of the Orison Diving Club!

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I'm out to see how deep I can dive in Crusader.

Orison city is about 80,000 meters up and the centre of the planet is about 7,500km away from there meaning there is a definitive ground/sea level at 0 meters.

So far I have dove with the 350r, a Taurus, the Starfarer and the mighty Aurora MR. The below screenshots are the ships in their dive and the last frame of the video I was taking before the ship exploded from the pressure:

350r: 16,879
View attachment 21139View attachment 21138

Taurus: 16,833
View attachment 21145View attachment 21144

Starfarer: 15,733 (Glitched when exploded and left me freefalling without a ship. Had to backspace respawn so am not counting this one)
View attachment 21143View attachment 21142

Aurora MR: 16,760
View attachment 21141View attachment 21140

Considering the glitch with the Starfarer, it looks like there is a set max depth of about 16,900m/16,700m for all ships.

I would invite you to join the experiment but at the moment there is a glitch which means most ships which are destroyed are not able to be reclaimed on insurance - I cannot claim any of the above ships now aside from the Starfarer which glitched when it blew up and was able to be claimed, which is weird.

Please hold until that has been fixed, unless you really want to join the illustrious ranks of the Orison Diving Club!
Ya, they talked about for this release there is a fixed depth as much as they had hoped to introduce the pressure it was not going to be completed and implemented across all of the ship in time.

But hopefully in the next few patches will see it implemented which should be a lot of fun to play around with.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Ya, they talked about for this release there is a fixed depth as much as they had hoped to introduce the pressure it was not going to be completed and implemented across all of the ship in time.

But hopefully in the next few patches will see it implemented which should be a lot of fun to play around with.
Many thanks for the info, at least we have the ODC as a nice placeholder for such adventures in the future.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I too must now try the sans ship approach to the Diving Club!

We just need a friendly pilot with a Freelancer or other rear-loader to come scoop us up before we hit 17,000m and we can make a hobby of it :like:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik

We just need a friendly pilot with a Freelancer or other rear-loader to come scoop us up before we hit 17,000m and we can make a hobby of it :like:
hehe, make sure it's someone who likes you... otherwise
You: "Hurry I'm getting awfully deep"
He: "I'm almost there" - sips his beer at the VoyagerBar - "I see you, hold <burp> on."

Mastersan

Space Marshal
Aug 14, 2017
RSI Handle
Mastersan

I've got an idea. You can power down the ship and exit it when it starts falling. You should fall with the same speed as your ship. Then, just before the 17,000m mark you can enter the ship, power it up, and fly back up. You can even keep the ship powered up, just turn off the engines. Then you can from time to time check the altitude by coming back on board. :like: 🍻

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I've got an idea. You can power down the ship and exit it when it starts falling. You should fall with the same speed as your ship. Then, just before the 17,000m mark you can enter the ship, power it up, and fly back up. You can even keep the ship powered up, just turn off the engines. Then you can from time to time check the altitude by coming back on board. :like: 🍻
Just don't step outside your ship or onto a ship lift or otherwise, you'll go into the falling animation and no longer be able to move.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
My Starrunner exploded around 18K, sorry no exact number recorded.
Good attempt, I'd have thought ships built at Crusader would have the deepest ratings but the Freelancer and Starfarer look like they were built for it.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Good attempt, I'd have thought ships built at Crusader would have the deepest ratings but the Freelancer and Starfarer look like they were built for it.
IF the shield strength of a ship helps it resist the crush, then I'd imagine that the Hercules M2 with it's massive shields & armor would go a bit deeper than most.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
My Good TESTies, Ladies, Gentlemen, persons and species of alien origin of the Orison Diving Club!

I have conducted some additional tests for this latest 3.14 patch and the Terminator for pressure depth still appears to still be about 17,000m, however I have some new information and potentially a new record for sub-quantum highest speed achieved!

Allow me to paint a picture with words... and screenshots...

My intention was to check out the depth pressure mechanics had not been snuck in without us realizing however didn't want to launch from Orison itself as it's a pain in the botty-bum running from the Habs, taking the shuttle to the space port, and doing all that gubbins every time the pressure took me, so I flew from Olisar and Splined around the planet and then dove through the city on my 3 attempts.

First, I took an Aurora LN down. Named "War Rocket Ajax", she went Pop at 16,900m confirming at least one ship was still set to the extermination depth as previous.

I then did the same, took a Connie Taurus called "Reoccurring Tendencies 2" down and blew at 16,800m, she was travelling several 10's of Meters a Second faster than the Aurora when she went, indicating it's the same kill depth but perhaps Speed and Server response/ping can let you get deeper before you blow...

...and then took my 350r down...

Named "Zero Hour", she took off from Olisar well enough, but as soon as we QD'd into the high atmosphere of Crusader things were not right.

Zero was bucking and bronking in the atmo, and was a total pig to point in the direction of Orison to QD around to the landing zone to attempt my dive, and even once lined up, calibrated and locked in she was not having it, try as I might the QD would not spline me the 8,000km to where I needed to start my run. The QD activated and locked the controls but we didn't go anywhere. Just hovered there at about 500k meters.

I killed the power and engine, and we entered freefall. Powered back up again and there was a brief attempt at QD but nothing happened and was still locked in. At this point I thought 'Sod it' and we shut off and let Crusader start to pull us down.

Zero Hour tumbled lazily about, and at about 430k meters we appeared to hit Terminal Velocity leveling off at 880m/s... but...

Death Tumble.JPG

Soon after the ship started spinning on its axis, a spin like if you'd held the Q or E buttons, but much faster. The speed started climbing again! Passing 1000m/s it showed no sign of slowing, passing 1,347m/s, the ships top speed, I knew I was witnessing a record - This was going to be the fastest I and maybe anyone had ever flown Sub-Quantum.

The speed kept climbing until it hit a top speed of 2,000m/s and would go no faster:

2000m-s.JPG

Falling with no engines faster than I had ever flown with, we passed the Terminator at 2000m/s and last registered depth before the pop was 15,482m, a new Club record in exceptional circumstances:

15482m.JPG

It appears the higher speed you carry the further you can get before you blow, however from the previous test where the Starfarer also managed sub16k meters, perhaps it can be glitched past too?

I have a feeling 2,000m/s is the games hard speed limit for sub-quantum... do I have a Player speed record or has anyone else managed the same... Or has anyone else flown faster?

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Forgot your password?