PC Advice. Keypads/GPUs etc.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Yeah, I'm a bit tired from work. Needless to say, I want to make sure my next computer will last me a long time. This one has served me well for almost 7 years. I'm hoping I could just slowly upgrade as time goes on, but we'll see.
The 32gb DDR4 Dimms are rather new & supposedly only work guarenteed with certain equipment, but if I'm not mistaken, the next gen hardware is within the next couple years or so & will be upgrading to DDR5, which will probably have 32gb dimms early on with 64gb dimms down the road.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
The 32gb DDR4 Dimms are rather new & supposedly only work guarenteed with certain equipment, but if I'm not mistaken, the next gen hardware is within the next couple years or so & will be upgrading to DDR5, which will probably have 32gb dimms early on with 64gb dimms down the road.
Good to know. I doubt I get a new computer for at least a year. I want to see what the next gen graphics cards offer and whether the ray tracing becomes mainstream.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
DDR5 64Gb is already available, and if you're running the 64 bit versions of Windows 10 Professional or Enterprise editions, they can address 512 Gb RAM. The limit is defined by what the OS can support, but motherboards can add their own restrictions. The processors themselves can support a lot more.

But I don't think that realtime ray tracing of entire frames is going to become viable in the next 5 years, and possibly never. You can render a scene now using ray tracing, but it takes a long time compared with the frame rates we expect in a game.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
You can render a scene now using ray tracing, but it takes a long time compared with the frame rates we expect in a game
This actually makes me think, and a bit sad, that companies probably render those ray tracing demo scenes well in advance and just play a clip of it. Ahh, the lies of marketing.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
DDR5 64Gb is already available, and if you're running the 64 bit versions of Windows 10 Professional or Enterprise editions, they can address 512 Gb RAM. The limit is defined by what the OS can support, but motherboards can add their own restrictions. The processors themselves can support a lot more.
64gb DDR5 RAM sticks are already available? That's awesome. Where? I'd like a good shock to my system to knock out my hiccups.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Maybe also look into an intercom system for a "feed me" alert system, because having to eat food in game is going to make you hungry in real eventually. ;p

Reactions: Deroth
Forgot your password?