PC Advice. Keypads/GPUs etc.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
So Gents, today I got some disturbing news:
Where once our beautiful CANEX (Canadian version of your PX) could order me specific models of computers, etc, they now cannot. Someone in Ottawa decided that that was a no-go for them. Which blows goats, but it also got me thinking about "what do I really need?"
So they have this baby available:
MSI Infinite X 9SD-482CA.PNG

About 1200 bucks cheaper than the one with the 2080ti i posted earlier. Big difference is this one has a 2070 Super, i7-9700, and 16GB Ram, on an Intel z370 chipset.
The other one I wanted had a 2080ti, i9-9900, 32GB ram, on an Intel z390 chipset.

So, I don't know a whole lot about these things, but is the downgrade in GPU and CPU going to affect me going forward? From what I'm seeing, the difference in values between the 2070 Super and the 2080ti, while significant in some respects, are things that most games these days won't even touch. And I know nothing about CPUs.

I fucking hate setting, but the difference between dropping cash up front or being able to throw it on a 3 year, 0 interest plan is significant.

These are the systems they have available ATM:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
So Gents, today I got some disturbing news:
Where once our beautiful CANEX (Canadian version of your PX) could order me specific models of computers, etc, they now cannot. Someone in Ottawa decided that that was a no-go for them. Which blows goats, but it also got me thinking about "what do I really need?"
So they have this baby available:
View attachment 14873
About 1200 bucks cheaper than the one with the 2080ti i posted earlier. Big difference is this one has a 2070 Super, i7-9700, and 16GB Ram, on an Intel z370 chipset.
The other one I wanted had a 2080ti, i9-9900, 32GB ram, on an Intel z390 chipset.

So, I don't know a whole lot about these things, but is the downgrade in GPU and CPU going to affect me going forward? From what I'm seeing, the difference in values between the 2070 Super and the 2080ti, while significant in some respects, are things that most games these days won't even touch. And I know nothing about CPUs.

I fucking hate setting, but the difference between dropping cash up front or being able to throw it on a 3 year, 0 interest plan is significant.

These are the systems they have available ATM:
The e-peen is strong with this one.

wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
While in my opinion you don't need i9 for gaming, 2080Ti makes a difference, even in SC. The question is, do you want to pay $500+ more for an extra... hmm... 20-25fps in SC...? *

I have a very similar rig to that Infinite X 9th -- Intel Core i7-9700K, RTX 2070 Super (MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO) and 16GB of memory -- and it's fast enough to run all modern games at max settings @ 2560x1440p. I'm getting more than 70fps even in the latest Call of Duty Modern Warfare with RTX On (and more than 100fps with RTX Off), and up to 120fps in SC at max settings @ 1440p (45fps at ArcCorp Area18, the most demanding location in game).

The best thing about PC is that you can replace all components at any time, as long as other components allow you to do that. I bought the triple-fan dual-slot RTX 2070 Super GPU because it was much much cheaper than 2080 Super (not mention Ti), and I mounted it in the large case, leaving some space around. Unless the next generation (or the generation after the next generation) graphic cards would be much larger, and as long as my Intel Z390 board supports next gen, I should be able to replace 2070S with a newer GPU in 1.5 - 2.5 years, if necessary.

* -- Star Citizen performance is better and better; thanks to the implementation of OCS and then SOCS, framerate went up significantly. We should expect futher improvement in the future.

Last edited:

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
While in my opinion you don't need i9 for gaming, 2080Ti makes a difference, even in SC. The question is, do you want to pay $500+ more for an extra... hmm... 20-25fps in SC...? *

I have a very similar rig to that Infinite X 9th -- Intel Core i7-9700K, RTX 2070 Super (MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO) and 16GB of memory -- and it's fast enough to run all modern games at max settings @ 2560x1440p. I'm getting more than 70fps even in the latest Call of Duty Modern Warfare with RTX On (and more than 100fps with RTX Off), and up to 120fps in SC at max settings @ 1440p (45fps at ArcCorp Area18, the most demanding location in game).

The best thing about PC is that you can replace all components at any time, as long as other components allow you to do that. I bought the triple-fan dual-slot RTX 2070 Super GPU because it was much much cheaper than 2080 Super (not mention Ti), and I mounted it in the large case, leaving some space around. Unless the next generation (or the generation after the next generation) graphic cards would be much larger, and as long as my Intel Z390 board supports next gen, I should be able to replace 2070S with a newer GPU in 1.5 - 2.5 years, if necessary.

* -- Star Citizen performance is better and better; thanks to the implementation of OCS and then SOCS, framerate went up significantly. We should expect futher improvement in the future.
I'll find out shortly how amazing everything runs on a i9-9900, RTX 2080ti, with 32gb ram. Just getting everything setup. She's fucking gorgeous.

Yeah, I'm stoked that I'll be able to upgrade it. Although I'm feeling like that won't be an issue for a few years.

wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
Interestingly I find when I wear pinstripe suit trousers and blue stripe shirt my gaming skill gets +30 Corporate Efficiency!
That guy looks like a typical yuppie to me. Let's face it: only those guys could afford that girl, NEO GEO and 45-inch TV in 80s.
By the way...: "(...) vivid 4 dimensional graphics and 65,000 colors"!

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Hahaha, thanks man. This is fucking hilarious!
I just want to point out, that's a pretty interesting game engine over there on the left.
I have one of those at home. I play it whenever it lets me. Hahahaha.
Interestingly I find when I wear pinstripe suit trousers and blue stripe shirt my gaming skill gets +30 Corporate Efficiency!
Haha, the slicked back hair. Don't forget the slicked back hair. So suave!
That guy looks like a typical yuppie to me. Let's face it: only those guys could afford that girl, NEO GEO and 45-inch TV in 80s.
By the way...: "(...) vivid 4 dimensional graphics and 65,000 colors"!
I know right?!? Wolf of Wall Street written all over him. But them graphics. Ermagerd.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Man the Neo Geo was beast. I remember a family friend's kid had one (along with a blackmarket version of Super Famicon/Nintendo imported from Asia). Yeah 10 year old me was all over it (minus the slicked back hair and pin strip shirt though).

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Upgrade that RAM! I just got an extra 8gb from 16 to 24 and HOLY FUCK! SC actually let's me turn with smoothness sometimes.

(Although if you saw my thread I think one of the 4gb sticks was bad and I really only had ~12gb to work with. So probably ~8gb after system chewed up a stick)

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Upgrade that RAM! I just got an extra 8gb from 16 to 24 and HOLY FUCK! SC actually let's me turn with smoothness sometimes.

(Although if you saw my thread I think one of the 4gb sticks was bad and I really only had ~12gb to work with. So probably ~8gb after system chewed up a stick)
I bin saying dis for yonkages but everyone da be ignoring mesen

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Were you able to get any time in putting the new PC through the paces this weekend?
Not too much. Still pretty exhausted from tour, so I've only got in a couple hours a night, if even.

I'm at 32gb RAM. I'm ok, I promise!

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Right now you are! When I built mine 16gb was plenty, but that's been almost 7 years! I've needed new ram for a few years, but honestly just need a whole new PC. Only broke down and bought it cause it was super annoying.

Friend of mine built his PC before I did and I asked him how much was good. He opened like 4 games at once and said, "I'm not even using half my ram with these, 8gb is totally enough." I doubled that and got 16, wish I'd gotten 32.

32gb may seem like a lot now, and I'm not sure how often you buy new computers, but if it's too long, 32 may not cut it. When I get a new computer in a year or two I'm getting 64gb MINIMUM! Possibly 128 just to be sure. I dont even know if they have 4x64gb sticks for 128, but I may look into it.

It's such a cheap component when building a PC, I dont know why it gets skimped on so much.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Not too much. Still pretty exhausted from tour, so I've only got in a couple hours a night, if even.

Yeah, I'm sure those arms of yours would be rather exhausted brother @Blind Owl , then they weren't flying you home, they were each feeding you beers along your victory tour back from Newfoundland. I curse my slight jealousy of the beautiful scenery that you've been able to witness along your way home. I'm sure that it was glorious.

32gb is a nice amount, especially when sometimes SC has memory leaks in the programming.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
32gb may seem like a lot now, and I'm not sure how often you buy new computers, but if it's too long, 32 may not cut it. When I get a new computer in a year or two I'm getting 64gb MINIMUM! Possibly 128 just to be sure. I dont even know if they have 4x64gb sticks for 128, but I may look into it.

It's such a cheap component when building a PC, I dont know why it gets skimped on so much.
I'm pretty sure that you mean 4x32gb sticks instead of 4x64gb sticks in order to reach 128gb of RAM. If so, then I have some potentially good news for you, but you currently have to have certain hardware for them to work in a system.

Newegg.com DDR4 2x32gb

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Right now you are! When I built mine 16gb was plenty, but that's been almost 7 years! I've needed new ram for a few years, but honestly just need a whole new PC. Only broke down and bought it cause it was super annoying.

Friend of mine built his PC before I did and I asked him how much was good. He opened like 4 games at once and said, "I'm not even using half my ram with these, 8gb is totally enough." I doubled that and got 16, wish I'd gotten 32.

I'll look at upgrading it in a year or two. For now I'm sure it's going to be fine.
Yeah, I'm sure those arms of yours would be rather exhausted brother @Blind Owl , then they weren't flying you home, they were each feeding you beers along your victory tour back from Newfoundland. I curse my slight jealousy of the beautiful scenery that you've been able to witness along your way home. I'm sure that it was glorious.

32gb is a nice amount, especially when sometimes SC has memory leaks in the programming.
Yeah, some of the scenery was great. Cologne was amazing. Glad we got a few days there.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I'm pretty sure that you mean 4x32gb sticks instead of 4x64gb sticks in order to reach 128gb of RAM. If so, then I have some potentially good news for you, but you currently have to have certain hardware for them to work in a system.

Newegg.com DDR4 2x32gb
Yeah, I'm a bit tired from work. Needless to say, I want to make sure my next computer will last me a long time. This one has served me well for almost 7 years. I'm hoping I could just slowly upgrade as time goes on, but we'll see.

Forgot your password?