PC Advice. Keypads/GPUs etc.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
☝ I agree with that! The only problem is the initial outlay for the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti is currently a bit like a mortgage payment. But it only hurts the one time. Many people want to wait to see what the 7 nm tech is like, but there won't be a comparable card to the 2080 Ti for some time - and if you wait too long, what will happen is you'll either be buying old technology, or looking at nosebleed pricing again.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
The SSDs he's referring to are the M.2 NVMe PCI-E type that looks like each of the above has a 512 GB installed in, doesn't specify brand though and I don't see a specific motherboard listed so no idea whether it supports just one or more than one. They look kind of like an extra long SD memory card, but have very impressive performance (just don't try to RAID them, only a very limited quantity of motherboards can actually support that properly for PCI-E SSDs.)
Ok. I looked into it, and it looks like it's got room for another. its got extra 2.5 and 3.5 slots.
If you're going to go 1440p with a high refresh rate you're going to need a 2080 TI.
If you're willing to go with 1080p you can go with a 2070 or 2080.

Notice how the 2080 TI does no better than its siblings at 1080p
However it leaves them in the dust at 1440p and 4K resolutions.

View: https://youtu.be/ZxxHUQgZGbQ
Ok. 2080ti it is. I'm getting stoked now. I can't wait to get my hands on a new system, haha.
☝ I agree with that! The only problem is the initial outlay for the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti is currently a bit like a mortgage payment. But it only hurts the one time. Many people want to wait to see what the 7 nm tech is like, but there won't be a comparable card to the 2080 Ti for some time - and if you wait too long, what will happen is you'll either be buying old technology, or looking at nosebleed pricing again.
It's all getting mortgaged, so I'm not too worried, haha.

Thanks for all the info gents. You've all been a huge help with your expertise. You've really helped me in my decisions here. Now to choose and find a monitor.

Reactions: Deroth and Vavrik

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Sweet. The price is nice too. Damn. Thanks man.
I don't know if the monitor is any good but the girl sure is cute.

View: https://youtu.be/mnNAjl2NOuA

View attachment 14742

still trying to hack the Roomba vacuum software so it'll bring me a beer. When I get that figured out, life will be good.
Haha, get that damn thing hacked already. That's an imperative! Thanks for the video! I'll watch this after I leave work (youtube is blocked on work computers, ugh).

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Thanks for all the info gents. You've all been a huge help with your expertise. You've really helped me in my decisions here. Now to choose and find a monitor.
Thanks my ass man, we wanne see you in the 'verse an attending the event now you are back into the beer land and witha new rig you don't have any more excuse...

For the monitor, i think this is not bad, kinda pricing but at that dimension, refresh rate and curved price are all at that range:

Note: I'm note a monitor guy, so don't take this as a reliable suggestion! 😅

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Thanks my ass man, we wanne see you in the 'verse an attending the event now you are back into the beer land and witha new rig you don't have any more excuse...

For the monitor, i think this is not bad, kinda pricing but at that dimension, refresh rate and curved price are all at that range:

I'll be home in 3 weeks or so, and I'll order the system then. I need to pin down a couple monitors though, so I know what to get. Man I had no idea so much went into these things, haha.

That thing is a monster! Jesus, haha. I'll be looking in the 500 dollar range I think, so I'll see whats available around there.

Reactions: Deroth and Vavrik

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Holy fuck, now I gotta worry about the monitor I get being GSync or at least freesync that supports GSync? Arrrrrrrggh, when did all this become a thing?
So 1440p, 144 Hz, AND GSync compatible. Oh my God. Why?

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Holy fuck, now I gotta worry about the monitor I get being GSync or at least freesync that supports GSync? Arrrrrrrggh, when did all this become a thing?
The monitor doesn't necessarily has to be gsync. Find one you like that's "only" amd freesync than look it up (in reviews and such) if it can work with gsync too. Some of them can even if it's not explicitly stated on the product, but it will require a display port cable, so pick up one of those as well. In theory, if I remember correctly, you can get any freesync monitor to work with gsync via some compatibility settings, but it might prove problematic, so you're better off getting a gsync monitor in the first place, or at least one that is on the compatibility list.

wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
The monitor doesn't necessarily has to be gsync. Find one you like that's "only" amd freesync than look it up (in reviews and such) if it can work with gsync too. /.../

Be careful with the g-sync compatible displays: it doesn't make any sense to have one unless you are always running your games at high framerates. Most freesync displays that are g-sync compatible allow you to use g-sync only between 48 and 144 Hz, meaning when your game or any application framerate drops below 48 fps, g-sync stops synchronising display refresh rate with the game framerate.

I personally have a full g-sync 144Hz IPS display on a PC /Asus PG279Q, already recommended couple pages ago ; )/ and full g-sync IPS display on an MSI Titan gaming laptop because I'm always running games at the highest settings, therefore in some cases my framerates drop below 48 fps; with the full g-sync display I can enjoy smooth motion even at 30 fps.

You can check the list of all g-sync and g-sync compatible displays on the page below; many- if not most of the g-sync compatible devices support freesync as well:

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
Freesync basically just means it meets or exceeds certain specifications that AMD outlined.

G-Sync requires specific proprietary (expensive) components from Nvidia in addition to meeting or exceeding certain specifications that Nvidia specified.

Freesync w/ G-Sync Compatible means it meets or exceeds the specifications from both AMD and Nvidia without the proprietary components from Nvidia. They're also supposed to go through testing by Nvidia, but many monitors are marketed as G-Sync Compatible that haven't yet been added by Nvidia to the list of monitors they've tested.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Freesync/Gsync only hase a mean if ou run a game at more FPS then the monitor frequrency so, as already state form the other, be mind if you really need it for the game you plan to play.
Also look for AOC monitor, I've read pretty good review and they are not as expenive as LG or Asus, plus within this month they'll release a couple of new ultrawide 144Hz onitors with a good price range that seams a valid options..

G-Sync requires specific proprietary (expensive) components from Nvidia in addition to meeting or exceeding certain specifications that Nvidia specified.
Not anymore: Nvidia have now validated some monitor to be GSync compatible even without the dedicated hardware, they have now like 3 level of compatibility, from the "full" one that inluce tthe specific hardware to the worst one that could have some issue..
LTT have done a good video about it at a recent CES, but I can't find it now..

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
This is what I got recently:

I'm happy with it but sometimes wish I'd stuck with the flat instead of curved (my wife really wanted me to get curved.)
That one is on my list. Excellent. I'll keep my eyes open for it when I get back to Canada. Any particular reason you wished you'd stayed with a flat monitor?
Be careful with the g-sync compatible displays: it doesn't make any sense to have one unless you are always running your games at high framerates. Most freesync displays that are g-sync compatible allow you to use g-sync only between 48 and 144 Hz, meaning when your game or any application framerate drops below 48 fps, g-sync stops synchronising display refresh rate with the game framerate.

I personally have a full g-sync 144Hz IPS display on a PC /Asus PG279Q, already recommended couple pages ago ; )/ and full g-sync IPS display on an MSI Titan gaming laptop because I'm always running games at the highest settings, therefore in some cases my framerates drop below 48 fps; with the full g-sync display I can enjoy smooth motion even at 30 fps.

You can check the list of all g-sync and g-sync compatible displays on the page below; many- if not most of the g-sync compatible devices support freesync as well:

So if possible, get the G-Sync. Is there a way of telling which freesync displays have that 48-144 inhibitor? Man, monitors used to be easy. All these new factors are an unbelievable pain in the ass.
Freesync basically just means it meets or exceeds certain specifications that AMD outlined.

Freesync w/ G-Sync Compatible means it meets or exceeds the specifications from both AMD and Nvidia without the proprietary components from Nvidia. They're also supposed to go through testing by Nvidia, but many monitors are marketed as G-Sync Compatible that haven't yet been added by Nvidia to the list of monitors they've tested.
Ok. So be careful.In the words of Geralt, "Fuck".
I'll check this badboy out after work. Thank you!

Reactions: Deroth and Bambooza

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Freesync/Gsync only hase a mean if ou run a game at more FPS then the monitor frequrency so, as already state form the other, be mind if you really need it for the game you plan to play.
Also look for AOC monitor, I've read pretty good review and they are not as expenive as LG or Asus, plus within this month they'll release a couple of new ultrawide 144Hz onitors with a good price range that seams a valid options..
Roger. AOC is definitely on my list. They continually get good reviews. As for the knowing how many FPS I'll run a game at, lol, this is literally latin to me. You can decide how many FPS to play a game at? I play a lot of Destiny 2, and SC will be high on the list. Does that help?

Reactions: Deroth and Bambooza

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
@Blind Owl
For curved vs flat panel there're long technical answers that'd take me pages to explain poorly but would make far more (and less) sense if you do an internet search for IPS vs TN vs VA panels.

The short answer is that currently G-Sync Compatibility is better supported by flat panels than curved panels, there are exceptions to this and it is subject to change with Nvidia driver updates or Windows updates at any time.

As for your question about what fps you'd be playing at, simply look up what fps is common to achieve in those games with the video card you decide to go with.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Good video! My knowledge of monitors is quite dated, and I'm in largely the same boat as @Blind Owl. I just looked at two of these LG monitors this week. One was the 27GK750F connected to a 1080 Ti, the other was either 32 or 34 inches connected to a 2070 something... I wasn't interested in that for personal reasons that have nothing to do with the hardware. Sales guy didn't listen and insisted, so I stopped listening to him. Guess I'll try Amazon, at least their website listens better.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Updated OP.

I'll probably be buying a pre-built system, simply because I can finance it through the Canex (Canadian version of the PX) for 0% interest over 3 years. I've attached an image of the system I'm looking at.
Now I'll be looking at peripheries, monitors, etc. That's where y'all come in. I'm going to need a new keyboard, monitor, speedpad, and . . .that's about it I think. I'm looking for suggestions, as well as reasons for and against things like ultrawide, etc. For a monitor I'm set on 1440p 144hz, but am now trying to discern between IPS, TN, VA, etc.

Thanks for your time,

Owl
These days I would go with a 1TB SSD, nothing smaller.
Monitor: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LW5CGIS/ref=dp_cerb_2 While my current monitors are all ASUS, I have never gone wrong with an LG and it has the best Specs and the best price for an Ultrawide Screen.
I just got a Logitech X56 HOTAS for Christmas and am loving it. :) I probably could have gotten by with the T16000M FCS HOTAS but my better half was good to me. :)
You will probably want a Camera with 60FPS at 720P for head tracking and FOIP.
A Microphone, since headsets get annoying over time. :) You don't need more than https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Snowball-Condenser-Microphone-Cardioid/dp/B014PYGTUQ?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1 unless you intend to stream.

My Keyboard is a Logitech G910 which I love, I have a Logitech G700S Mouse, which is super, and a logitech G-13 which is showing its age. :)

Less fun accessories. Get a UPS and a RAID 5 NAS for backup (And if you are smart an additional UPS for the NAS).

Forgot your password?