PC Advice. Keypads/GPUs etc.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
And BTW, in case any of you is still looking for a 144Hz display, I have ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q and I love it. It's a 27-inch 1440p 144Hz (165Hz overlockable) IPS display with G-Sync. Once calibrated properly it gives you very good color accuracy.
Good info. When I do buy, I'll be buying everything, monitor included. I've decided on 1440p 144hz, now I'm trying to decide between standard or ultrawide. I reckon availablility and price will certainly be driving factors as well, come time to buy.
If you have the time and money to wait for the next gen video cards (supposedly Q2 next year), it might be worth the wait. Maybe those will do 144fps in SC easily lol
Yeah, I was going to pick up the pre-built system linked in the OP when I got back in February, but I'm starting to lean towards waiting to see what the NVIDIA Ampere cards bring to the table. It's one of those risk/reward things . . .I'm risking sanity by waiting longer (I wanna buy NOW dammit), but the reward may be an entire new generation of cards that are faster and cheaper.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
Good info. When I do buy, I'll be buying everything, monitor included. I've decided on 1440p 144hz, now I'm trying to decide between standard or ultrawide. I reckon availablility and price will certainly be driving factors as well, come time to buy.

Yeah, I was going to pick up the pre-built system linked in the OP when I got back in February, but I'm starting to lean towards waiting to see what the NVIDIA Ampere cards bring to the table. It's one of those risk/reward things . . .I'm risking sanity by waiting longer (I wanna buy NOW dammit), but the reward may be an entire new generation of cards that are faster and cheaper.
If you go ultra wide make sure to check the dpi/ratio, many just stretch them so you're not actually gaining anything and for graphics intensive games that can be quite jarring.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
@Cugino83 very good point about the 2060 Super not doing 144fps! But can a 2080ti do it? I mean, is there anything it there that can do a constant 144fps at 1440p in SC?
I went for the 2060 Super cos it's good value/money for my work. 2080 would be better but too expensive for the little gain in rendering speed.
Btw, a 144hz monitor isn't just better when it's running at 144fps. It's easier on the eyes, no tearing in the picture so no vsync is necessary under 144fps. It's more future proof.
Well about the 2080ti, well may be not now, but I'll be worried if that beast can't do it nin the future when FPs will not be limited by server infrastructure CIG-side...
Oh and by the way, the 2070 super is a good performance/price ration card, far more then the 2080 in my opinion: Nvidia top end card (the peack one) is always really too expensive considering the perfoormance difference form the model just below.

Totaly agree on the 144Hz monitor, that is the way even for movie and nomal use I've seen a lot of comparison review and they are sooo much smother.

I'm looking for a new monitor as well but I'm leaning toward the ultrawide curved do to the immersion those monitor seams to have, problem is finding a good one, curved 144Hx cost as mucha an entire rig... way too much for my wallet and my sanity!
Also consiider that larger higt resolution monitor need to have something with adeguate power to dirve them: don't expect to be able to drive one of those Ultra wide monitor at 1440p and 60 fps constant with a 1060, you need to have a hight end card AND a good CPU to be able to push frame on theat theater screen, so keep also that in mind when you do bottom line calculation...

Cheaper... I've have my doubts about it, they could be cheap in comparison of what you get in FPS, tecnology and power, but I don't expect them to be cheaper, not ultill Nviadia will remain without a true opposition in the red side... unfortunatly AMD still lacking of a true competitive card in the hight end sector, both on the raw fps performance and on the tecnology: even if ray tracing is not a real deal right now I'll expect that optimization and game implementation will accour in the next 2-3 year, like it happe with the hair tecnology a few years a ago...

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Well, after rearranging the 3hard drives and two ssd-s and taking out the middle hdd rack from my case, I got my new 2060super fitted. It's a 3 fan variant so it's effing huge!
Also upped to 32gb ram from 16.
Fired up SC, patched it, and now... I'm not happy. It does run at 50-80fps (mostly 70+) which is much nicer than it used to be, but there is an insane amount of hitching/stuttering. Much more than used to be. I don't know if it's my hardware changes or the new patch though.
It was worth it anyways, on my test render scene I got 29 minutes, down from 44minutes per frame, so it's a huge improvement.
Now I actually need to get a new monitor cos I can't connect my old secondary one to the new card lol (or get a dvi to display port adapter, but the wife doesn't need to know that those exist lol)

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Well, after rearranging the 3hard drives and two ssd-s and taking out the middle hdd rack from my case, I got my new 2060super fitted. It's a 3 fan variant so it's effing huge!
Also upped to 32gb ram from 16.
Fired up SC, patched it, and now... I'm not happy. It does run at 50-80fps (mostly 70+) which is much nicer than it used to be, but there is an insane amount of hitching/stuttering. Much more than used to be. I don't know if it's my hardware changes or the new patch though.
It was worth it anyways, on my test render scene I got 29 minutes, down from 44minutes per frame, so it's a huge improvement.
Now I actually need to get a new monitor cos I can't connect my old secondary one to the new card lol (or get a dvi to display port adapter, but the wife doesn't need to know that those exist lol)

It's the new patch. Can be very stutter. 3.7.2 was smooth as a glass baby's ass!

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Totaly agree on the 144Hz monitor, that is the way even for movie and nomal use I've seen a lot of comparison review and they are sooo much smother.

Cheaper... I've have my doubts about it, they could be cheap in comparison of what you get in FPS, tecnology and power, but I don't expect them to be cheaper, not ultill Nviadia will remain without a true opposition in the red side... unfortunatly AMD still lacking of a true competitive card in the hight end sector, both on the raw fps performance and on the tecnology: even if ray tracing is not a real deal right now I'll expect that optimization and game implementation will accour in the next 2-3 year, like it happe with the hair tecnology a few years a ago...
Ok, so maybe not cheaper, lol. But if it is completely new architecture, then I think it may behoove me to wait to get it. Although the 2080ti should be good for many years to come as well. Ugh. Decisions are hard.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
Awesome. Thank you for the info. What is the DPI/Ratio that I should be looking for?
Depends on the size you go with. The benchmark for standard widescreen is 16:9, so if that is the aspect ratio and it is listed as Ultra Widescreen then they're stretching pixels (some manufacturers stretch all the pixels equally while others scale the stretching so they're normal at center and extra stretched at the edges...which is fine for some things but looks terrible in high motion games and videos.)
That is part of the reason for 1440 gaining popularity so quickly, higher resolution on 16:9 screens and still looks great for gaming on screens greater than 25".

25" is still an incredibly popular monitor size for gaming in general, but I'm loving my AOC Agon 27" 1440 144hz monitor. The only downside to mine is that it is one of the models that Nvidia doesn't fully support...yet (FreeSync vs G-Sync drama.)

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Depends on the size you go with. The benchmark for standard widescreen is 16:9, so if that is the aspect ratio and it is listed as Ultra Widescreen then they're stretching pixels (some manufacturers stretch all the pixels equally while others scale the stretching so they're normal at center and extra stretched at the edges...which is fine for some things but looks terrible in high motion games and videos.)
That is part of the reason for 1440 gaining popularity so quickly, higher resolution on 16:9 screens and still looks great for gaming on screens greater than 25".

25" is still an incredibly popular monitor size for gaming in general, but I'm loving my AOC Agon 27" 1440 144hz monitor. The only downside to mine is that it is one of the models that Nvidia doesn't fully support...yet (FreeSync vs G-Sync drama.)
LOL, you guys are making me look at monitors again. I can't use one wider than 24 inches unless I sit back far enough that I might as well be using a 24 inch monitor. I have a 21 and 24 right now, but 1920X1080 is the highest res they do.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
After much crying from my wallet, and against my better judgment, I convinced myself that I do indeed Need a new monitor. Went with the best and cheapest ips 144hz I could find in the shops around here. Acer Nitro VG240YP 1080p ips led 144hz freesync (works with nvidia sync too).

Cool-Hand-Luke

Space Marshal
Jan 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Cool-Hand-Luke
Nvidia....
If the past is any prediction of the future.
New architecture will bring greater efficiency.
And an 8 to 10% increase in performance.
Even if they're capable of giving you 50% more performance, they will cap it and milk it out for several years 10% at the time.
I'm not salty. I don't blame them. Silicon can only give you so much. They need to stay in business as long as they can.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Ok, so maybe not cheaper, lol. But if it is completely new architecture, then I think it may behoove me to wait to get it. Although the 2080ti should be good for many years to come as well. Ugh. Decisions are hard.
I won't worry about that: there is always "a new architecture on the way", be it for GPU, CPU, a new PCI Express bus or another crap... If you find a good deal and a component that feats your need buy it now, don't wait.
If then you feel in need to upgrade you could sell the older one as used and grab back 50% of the price at least.
Man few years ago I clean up my old part inventory and been able to sell even an older Radeon 6800 with coaxial video autoput, you know the round connector we were used to have on old videtape recorder... sold it for 80€... niuter me or the shop trow a cent on that but it was gone in less then a week :glorious:

After much crying from my wallet, and against my better judgment, I convinced myself that I do indeed Need a new monitor. Went with the best and cheapest ips 144hz I could find in the shops around here. Acer Nitro VG240YP 1080p ips led 144hz freesync (works with nvidia sync too).
Be warn: I've seen some issue on led pannel where the backlight wasn't uniform and create a lot of darker spot in the image, especially on white page that is very annoying and rally break your eyes.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl

Ok, so true ultrawide would be 21:9. I'll keep my eyes peeled. And it has to be 144hz. So that narrows the margin a wee bit. I'll keep shopping deals.
Nvidia....
If the past is any prediction of the future.
New architecture will bring greater efficiency.
And an 8 to 10% increase in performance.
Even if they're capable of giving you 50% more performance, they will cap it and milk it out for several years 10% at the time.
I'm not salty. I don't blame them. Silicon can only give you so much. They need to stay in business as long as they can.
My biggest concern with getting the OP system listed is that the architecture changes so much that I can't simply get a new GPU in a few years: I'd have to get new everything. From what I understand (from somewhere earlier in this thread) the chipsets all change every few years and yuo can't just upgrade piecemeal anymore? At least that's how I understood it. Lol.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
My biggest concern with getting the OP system listed is that the architecture changes so much that I can't simply get a new GPU in a few years: I'd have to get new everything. From what I understand (from somewhere earlier in this thread) the chipsets all change every few years and yuo can't just upgrade piecemeal anymore? At least that's how I understood it. Lol.
Not really, I mean a SATA 3 Hard SSD will probably work even on SATA 2 motherboard for example it just doesn't have the performance you'll expect, also GPU, if the connectioon slot is the same it will work and some time closer GEN are compatible with the older variant (not always, so best to check that out first).
Nowaday olso some of the CPU have a same socket and on most mid-higt end MB you can just upgrade the BIOS/UEFI to get it compatible with ne new GEN processor, and this is expecially true for AMD where the socket is mostly the same across different GEN unless they change really many things...

Of course this is always sujected to how many years are passed and if the component you'd used ware the lastest gen or not: for my experience I can tell you that a mid-higt rig can last you for a good 4-6 years witout any upgrade (may be some disk ...),may be 8 with some compromise and a bit of overclocking, after that the improvements in tecnologi are so big that you would like a the new arcitecture anyway...

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
Ok, so true ultrawide would be 21:9. I'll keep my eyes peeled. And it has to be 144hz. So that narrows the margin a wee bit. I'll keep shopping deals.

Don't worry about that.
With PCI-E murdering AGP over a decade ago no true major architecture changes are going to happen in the realm of requiring a system rebuild until at the earliest 2021.
As it is with PCI-E 3.1, the transfer rates it supports already far exceeds the capabilities of any video card even being dreamed about being designed.
The most significant changes with PCI-E 4.0 are improved support of NVMe SSDs and 100/200 Gbit network adapters.
PCI-E 5.0 and 6.0 specifications are still so new they're subject to change and it'll be a few years before anyone will really be adopting them (though theoretically PCI-E 6.0 with future SSD capabilities could render RAM pointless)...not that it'll matter for GPUs as it'll probably be well over a decade before they'll advance enough to use the bandwidth these are planned to support.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Not really, I mean a SATA 3 Hard SSD will probably work even on SATA 2 motherboard for example it just doesn't have the performance you'll expect, also GPU, if the connectioon slot is the same it will work and some time closer GEN are compatible with the older variant (not always, so best to check that out first).
Nowaday olso some of the CPU have a same socket and on most mid-higt end MB you can just upgrade the BIOS/UEFI to get it compatible with ne new GEN processor, and this is expecially true for AMD where the socket is mostly the same across different GEN unless they change really many things...

Of course this is always sujected to how many years are passed and if the component you'd used ware the lastest gen or not: for my experience I can tell you that a mid-higt rig can last you for a good 4-6 years witout any upgrade (may be some disk ...),may be 8 with some compromise and a bit of overclocking, after that the improvements in tecnologi are so big that you would like a the new arcitecture anyway...
Don't worry about that.
With PCI-E murdering AGP over a decade ago no true major architecture changes are going to happen in the realm of requiring a system rebuild until at the earliest 2021.
As it is with PCI-E 3.1, the transfer rates it supports already far exceeds the capabilities of any video card even being dreamed about being designed.
The most significant changes with PCI-E 4.0 are improved support of NVMe SSDs and 100/200 Gbit network adapters.
PCI-E 5.0 and 6.0 specifications are still so new they're subject to change and it'll be a few years before anyone will really be adopting them (though theoretically PCI-E 6.0 with future SSD capabilities could render RAM pointless)...not that it'll matter for GPUs as it'll probably be well over a decade before they'll advance enough to use the bandwidth these are planned to support.
Wow. Ok, so waiting until NVIDIA drops it's new cards later in 2020 really isn't going to change my life a whole lot. It's really prefer to get my computer sooner rather than later, but I thought waiting until Ampere dropped would be prudent. But if what I'm hearing is true, then the coming changes won't be so massive that it'll be game changing (even with the 7nm tech)?
So this system should be more then sufficient for the next few years?
Screenshot_20191231-205100_Google PDF Viewer.jpg

Reactions: Deroth

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
Wow. Ok, so waiting until NVIDIA drops it's new cards later in 2020 really isn't going to change my life a whole lot. It's really prefer to get my computer sooner rather than later, but I thought waiting until Ampere dropped would be prudent. But if what I'm hearing is true, then the coming changes won't be so massive that it'll be game changing (even with the 7nm tech)?
So this system should be more then sufficient for the next few years?
View attachment 14731
If I remember correctly the 'major improvements' for Ampere 7nm are more energy efficient, less heat, and are tentatively expected to have a lower cost at release than the 2080ti had. There's a chance they'll included increased RTX support, but I doubt it'll be that much over what the 2080ti already does since the list of games expected to use it over the next year isn't extensive enough to warrant it just yet. That way they can release yet another suite of cards in a year with significant RTX capability should sufficient quantities of games decide to add it.

That system looks a little heavy on USB 2.0 and light on USB 3.1 ports; my current Corsair mouse, keyboard, and headset all use 3.1, plus that is becoming a very common requirement for new peripherals.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Cool-Hand-Luke

Space Marshal
Jan 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Cool-Hand-Luke
Oh boy, here we go, after Christmas sales!
Who's been naughty and who's been nice?

I found this deal and thought of you!
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB M.2 Internal SSD for $119 https://dealnews.com/offer/18270046

Arguably the best 2080 TI is $100 off.
$50 rebate plus $50 promo code
Sale ends tonight.

View: https://youtu.be/sEo99mdKh7w
View: https://youtu.be/ZxxHUQgZGbQ

Last edited:

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
If I remember correctly the 'major improvements' for Ampere 7nm are more energy efficient, less heat, and are tentatively expected to have a lower cost at release than the 2080ti had. There's a chance they'll included increased RTX support, but I doubt it'll be that much over what the 2080ti already does since the list of games expected to use it over the next year isn't extensive enough to warrant it just yet. That way they can release yet another suite of cards in a year with significant RTX capability should sufficient quantities of games decide to add it.

That system looks a little heavy on USB 2.0 and light on USB 3.1 ports; my current Corsair mouse, keyboard, and headset all use 3.1, plus that is becoming a very common requirement for new peripherals.
Ok, so no real reason to wait, unless I'm waiting until next (next) year, IE 2021. So order this badboy, pick a monitor, and get back into gaming.
Also, I just checked, here's an updated print out for the same computer. Many more USB 3's listed now.
infinite x plus 9th.PNG

Or this one:
trident x plus 9th.PNG

And this one has the 2080 Super as opposed to the Ti, which brings it down about 500 bucks. I'll have to see if the Ti is worth the price for performance.
infinite x 9th.PNG

Oh boy, here we go, after Christmas sales!
Who's been naughty and who's been nice?

I found this deal and thought of you!
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB M.2 Internal SSD for $119 https://dealnews.com/offer/18270046

Arguably the best 2080 TI is $100 off.
$50 rebate plus $50 promo code
Sale ends tonight.

View: https://youtu.be/sEo99mdKh7w
View: https://youtu.be/ZxxHUQgZGbQ
Oh my God, sales. NOOOooooooo, hahaha. I'd love to build a system, but the fact that I can order a pre-built through the Canex (like your PX in the states), put it on a 3 year plan, and not pay a cent in interest is a huge selling feature for me.
Although getting an extra SSD would be brilliant. Are those internal SSD's plug and play? I haven't built a system in ages.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deroth

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
Ok, so no real reason to wait, unless I'm waiting until next (next) year, IE 2021. So order this badboy, pick a monitor, and get back into gaming.
Also, I just checked, here's an updated print out for the same computer. Many more USB 3's listed now.
View attachment 14735
Or this one:
View attachment 14737
And this one has the 2080 Super as opposed to the Ti, which brings it down about 500 bucks. I'll have to see if the Ti is worth the price for performance.
View attachment 14738

Oh my God, sales. NOOOooooooo, hahaha. I'd love to build a system, but the fact that I can order a pre-built through the Canex (like your PX in the states), put it on a 3 year plan, and not pay a cent in interest is a huge selling feature for me.
Although getting an extra SSD would be brilliant. Are those internal SSD's plug and play? I haven't built a system in ages.
The SSDs he's referring to are the M.2 NVMe PCI-E type that looks like each of the above has a 512 GB installed in, doesn't specify brand though and I don't see a specific motherboard listed so no idea whether it supports just one or more than one. They look kind of like an extra long SD memory card, but have very impressive performance (just don't try to RAID them, only a very limited quantity of motherboards can actually support that properly for PCI-E SSDs.)

Reactions: Blind Owl
Forgot your password?