PC Advice. Keypads/GPUs etc.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
@Blind Owl
For curved vs flat panel there're long technical answers that'd take me pages to explain poorly but would make far more (and less) sense if you do an internet search for IPS vs TN vs VA panels.

The short answer is that currently G-Sync Compatibility is better supported by flat panels than curved panels, there are exceptions to this and it is subject to change with Nvidia driver updates or Windows updates at any time.

As for your question about what fps you'd be playing at, simply look up what fps is common to achieve in those games with the video card you decide to go with.
Hmmmm, right on. Ok, I'll dive back into the IPS vs VA va TN thing, this time with a GSync/freesync curved/flat nexus.

As for the FPS, guess that's a google search away. Cheers! And thank you.
Good video! My knowledge of monitors is quite dated, and I'm in largely the same boat as @Blind Owl. I just looked at two of these LG monitors this week. One was the 27GK750F connected to a 1080 Ti, the other was either 32 or 34 inches connected to a 2070 something... I wasn't interested in that for personal reasons that have nothing to do with the hardware. Sales guy didn't listen and insisted, so I stopped listening to him. Guess I'll try Amazon, at least their website listens better.
Hahaha, this is priceless.
These days I would go with a 1TB SSD, nothing smaller.
Monitor: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LW5CGIS/ref=dp_cerb_2 While my current monitors are all ASUS, I have never gone wrong with an LG and it has the best Specs and the best price for an Ultrawide Screen.
I just got a Logitech X56 HOTAS for Christmas and am loving it. :) I probably could have gotten by with the T16000M FCS HOTAS but my better half was good to me. :)
You will probably want a Camera with 60FPS at 720P for head tracking and FOIP.
A Microphone, since headsets get annoying over time. :) You don't need more than https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Snowball-Condenser-Microphone-Cardioid/dp/B014PYGTUQ?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1 unless you intend to stream.

My Keyboard is a Logitech G910 which I love, I have a Logitech G700S Mouse, which is super, and a logitech G-13 which is showing its age. :)

Less fun accessories. Get a UPS and a RAID 5 NAS for backup (And if you are smart an additional UPS for the NAS).
Damn. So much info. Thanks brother. Hopefully tomorrow I'm done work before 2300hrs and can do some research on all the information y'all have provided.
I'm there meantime, I must sleep. I got a Spartan Race at 0600 tomorrow morning. Because nothing says nerd like getting up at 0-dark-stupid to go beast yourself through a muddy ass obstacle course.
Night lads. Thanks a million for all your input. I'm sure I'll have more questions once I process the answers you've given, ha .

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Lol, yeah I wanted to post that too. I highly doubt that it will actually do 50% , especially for less money to the consumer. With the memory prices about to rise cos of higher demand, I'd bet a beer on it that the new cards will cost more instead of the current ones going down in price significantly enough.
Tldr.: imho you'll be fine with 2080ti, and you can just sell it and buy the new one if you really want to without too much loss.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Tldr.: imho you'll be fine with 2080ti, and you can just sell it and buy the new one if you really want to without too much loss.
Yes, that is the way to work it, otherwise there is always another distraction and you don't ever buy the PC. There are always big announcements coming out of the computer hardware industry.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik

Cool-Hand-Luke

Space Marshal
Jan 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Cool-Hand-Luke
Last edited:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Yes, but that is a TN panel monitor.

Just wanted to point that out so blind Owl doesn't get confused.
Well I don't think he's interested in 24 or even 27 inch monitors. He strikes me as more a 32-34 inch kind, who might venture to the 39-42 inch if he finds he doesn't get whiplash in the first 5 minutes. Where he lives in Canada, the temperature usually only drops to -20C, which is survivable if you wear long johns, and don't try to pee in the snow.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Roger. AOC is definitely on my list. They continually get good reviews. As for the knowing how many FPS I'll run a game at, lol, this is literally latin to me. You can decide how many FPS to play a game at? I play a lot of Destiny 2, and SC will be high on the list. Does that help?
:Faceplam:
No you don't decide at what FPS (Frame Per Second) you run a Game... I mean not in the way you probably think at least...
FPS is a mesure on how fast the single image (Frame) are rendered and displayed on your monitor, more complex imagae (highter detail adn effect for example) thake more resources and thus more time to be rendered.
A slow FPS value mean that your came feel jerky, command respond with some delay and i general doesn "run smoooth", highter DPS instead is all the opposite, so fluidity and responsivnes.
In general the below limit for a "good looking" game is considered 60 FPS (since the human eyes can register an average of 30 FPS if you double you don't loose quality), but of course this is subjective feeling...

As a general rule, more detail, more effect and the highter resolution (mean more image pixel to render) reduce the FPS performance by some degree, so larger monitor require, for being used at the maximum resolution you buy them for, a good amount of computational power and that mean both a better CPU and a GPU, how better depend on the game, more are better optimazided then other or simply require less resources for run well at full resolution (for example WOW require far less power then Project CAr to be run at max settings on a larger monitor...)

Hope to have been able to provide a bit of explanation on FPS and some consideration the help in the choice of the monitor....
For some reference specfic on SC take a look at the lemetry page:

Howering over a square provide you with a description of the CPU and the GPU used, don't take them as a golden trut, but is a good reference to estimate the permance a similar system should have.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Are you ready to talk monitors?

View: https://youtu.be/T5Loh7vOcVM

I know it's a little small, 27in, but I know it's cold in Canada. Maybe we can warm it up a little and it'll look bigger.
Lol, another video. If only the world would stop burning, I may have time to watch some of these. Haha
Yes, but that is a TN panel monitor.

Just wanted to point that out so blind Owl doesn't get confused.
I do get confused, especially with all this sobriety.
Well I don't think he's interested in 24 or even 27 inch monitors. He strikes me as more a 32-34 inch kind, who might venture to the 39-42 inch if he finds he doesn't get whiplash in the first 5 minutes. Where he lives in Canada, the temperature usually only drops to -20C, which is survivable if you wear long johns, and don't try to pee in the snow.
I do really want a 32-34", but honestly, I've been on a 18.5" for so long that a 27 will probably feel huge. And yes, only -20C, thank God. I was so done with living north, where shit got down to -40 to -50C. Ugh. Now it's just a gentle cold, haha.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
:Faceplam:
No you don't decide at what FPS (Frame Per Second) you run a Game... I mean not in the way you probably think at least...
FPS is a mesure on how fast the single image (Frame) are rendered and displayed on your monitor, more complex imagae (highter detail adn effect for example) thake more resources and thus more time to be rendered.
A slow FPS value mean that your came feel jerky, command respond with some delay and i general doesn "run smoooth", highter DPS instead is all the opposite, so fluidity and responsivnes.
In general the below limit for a "good looking" game is considered 60 FPS (since the human eyes can register an average of 30 FPS if you double you don't loose quality), but of course this is subjective feeling...

As a general rule, more detail, more effect and the highter resolution (mean more image pixel to render) reduce the FPS performance by some degree, so larger monitor require, for being used at the maximum resolution you buy them for, a good amount of computational power and that mean both a better CPU and a GPU, how better depend on the game, more are better optimazided then other or simply require less resources for run well at full resolution (for example WOW require far less power then Project CAr to be run at max settings on a larger monitor...)

Hope to have been able to provide a bit of explanation on FPS and some consideration the help in the choice of the monitor....
For some reference specfic on SC take a look at the lemetry page:

Howering over a square provide you with a description of the CPU and the GPU used, don't take them as a golden trut, but is a good reference to estimate the permance a similar system should have.
Sweet. Thanks man. Knowledge is power. Also, electricity is power. Man, many things are power.
That's some versatile shit, power.

Reactions: Vavrik and Deroth

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
So Destiny 2 plays at 163.2 fps on a 1440p with a 2080ti. That means that I'll need a monitor that's not restricted by the freesync 44-148 fps crap.

Like these. Freesync 2. Awesome. Ok, so I'm learning.. Thanks a million Luke
More of means a normal 60 fps monitor won't even wake the 2080ti up when playing Destiny 2 and running it at highest settings for extended sessions at 144 fps shouldn't cause it to overheat.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
More of means a normal 60 fps monitor won't even wake the 2080ti up when playing Destiny 2 and running it at highest settings for extended sessions at 144 fps shouldn't cause it to overheat.
I also think that with a 60Hx monitor you won't really find any benifit on anything that is running more then 120 FPS.
Since the monitor only render 60 FPS with "just" 120 you'll be sure that you'll have the best fluidity you can get with that type of moonitor.

So if you expect that kind of performance it's really recomanded to get a 144Hz (or even a 200Hz but those cost a LOT) monitor with some sort of synconization tecnology (be it free-sync og G-sync)...

Cool-Hand-Luke

Space Marshal
Jan 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Cool-Hand-Luke
It's a VA Panel but checks a lot of boxes for 225.00 USD (open box price}

• 31.5" QHD (2560 x 1440) Display
  • Radeon FreeSync Technology
  • 144Hz Refresh Rate

View: https://youtu.be/GB5m_VuvSLM

View: https://youtu.be/aJaJGm4b7x4

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
It's a VA Panel but checks a lot of boxes for 225.00 USD (open box price}

• 31.5" QHD (2560 x 1440) Display
  • Radeon FreeSync Technology
  • 144Hz Refresh Rate

View: https://youtu.be/GB5m_VuvSLM

View: https://youtu.be/aJaJGm4b7x4
Sorry lads, with the current state of things over here, there hasn't been much time to watch videos and respond.
I'll check in when I can. Cheers.

Forgot your password?