Pirates/Piracy impact on Organization

Ichiru

Space Marshal
Aug 15, 2014
RSI Handle
Ichiru
Interesting ..... promotes the question on whether its weighted, like can just a few pirates/criminals ruin a large org's rep or whether if a large percentage of org members werent criminals it would have a lesser/minimal impact.

mjrcooke

Vice Admiral
Sep 6, 2015
RSI Handle
GMT +2
Whoa! Thats pretty harsh.
Ona way to circumvet this: there should be a black-ops like branch in a separated organisation in the game...still bros though :P

Serious Table

Admiral
Nov 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Serious_Table
Well, damn.

I imagine if they're going for the immersion factor, even a small percentage of a corporation could really readily-ruin a corporation's reputation. I've seen it at work a few times; one guy on our team fucks up, and we're having to possibly remove him from the company and work to repair the damage to our rep that he's done.

This is going to make super-large corps like TEST very very interesting...

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Very simple.

In the very first hour of the game we kill everything we see!

This makes us the worst possible criminal entity on the game and we never have to worry about our reputation ever again.

(More serious answer: We will compartmentalize if needed as to keep a more favorable status in early gameplay)

mjrcooke

Vice Admiral
Sep 6, 2015
RSI Handle
GMT +2
I doubt a few players could change the reputation of TEST to a criminal organisation over night. it would probably take some serious pirating for that to happen.
Anyway, lets say a few of us get a jump on somebody and extort him for money, threatening to blow his ship up if he doesn't pay. It would just look like a normal transaction when he does, or making him eject his cargo instead of destroying the ship and looting what's left. It all depends on how the system will recognise events like these.

D3Mark

Grand Admiral
Sep 24, 2014
RSI Handle
D3Mark
I'm pretty sure that that post was in reference to the criminals being main members, I believe they said somewhere that if they're set to affiliate they do not contribute to the "main" organizations "reputation".

Soven Taliesyn

Space Marshal
Aug 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Soven-Taliesyn
Really depends on how the whole thing works. But, I imagine that if only a small group are pirating while the rest of everyone are doing normal everyday business that would help improve standings then the good could out weight the bad. But, if it's based like Eve, then it may take a lot of work to keep it counter balanced. I'm guessing they're just going to try and make sure that "everyone" isn't pirating and that there will be consequences to those who do, one that will make you question if the reward will out weight the cost.

In the end, we'll just have to wait and see how it's going to work out.

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
As Montoya said, we'll likely be compartmentalizing this shit. I'm looking forward to PU, regardless.

PWny

Captain
Aug 3, 2015
RSI Handle
Rid3m3lik34PWny
I wonder how EWAR would effect piracy, for instance if we completely shut a ship down and then boarded it, killed the crew, and took our "spoils." If the ship and the crew couldn't send a signal out that they were under attack and if someone went looking for them and all they found were dead bodies, no cargo, and an powered down ship how would they know who done it? This is assuming this took place in uncontrolled space of course...

Reactions: honcho12

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
It may be that TEST has enough non-pirate members that their positive rep just counteracts the pirate players.

Or this may get changed next week and it's all for nothing.

This early in development, it's fun to theorycraft, but let's save the actual planning and worrying when the PU is more than just a pipe dream.

Space Monkey

Vice Admiral
Donor
Feb 21, 2015
RSI Handle
FlyingSpaceMonkey
It might be interesting to see if there may be some treasure laundering opportunity once the verse gets going. Smuggling now especially important to move tis dontrobant ships and materials. TEST might be large enough to launder these proceeds or even be a wholeseller for the dark economy. In any case, this will create two distinct economies and those who can cross the two will benefit greatly.

Forgot your password?