Please don't like my thread-campaign

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Hats. Hats is what my wife is currently obsessed with. Specifically, hats for birds. Rare hats, exotic hats, magic hats, etc. Fucking hats.

In Angry Birds 2.
There is this guy on YouTube called Jim Stirling who thinks that (games designed to grind and offer monetization to progress faster) is bullshit and its well worth a watch if you are suffering.

I've been playing Bad Piggies and am doing fine in it, I'd say I'm 80% complete and I've not had to turn to paying to progress although that is avalable in several forms in the game. I've been playing every day for a year and a half.

Either i'm shit at mobile games or this is the War And Peace of games... or, you know, they designed it to insensitiveise pay over play...?

My wife was once a fan of a Facebook Game where you tended a Virtual garden. You were a Monster. The name of the game escapes me but it may have been Garden Monster or similar. She played every day and sunk some pennies in every so often to be able to progress. One day, the makers of the game announced it was ending, and turned it off. Her monsterous garden vanished. All the cash she'd ever put in vanished. All the time, effort, energy, interest, gone.

She never told me how much she spent but she said it was "enough" and to this day I believe if she ever meets the person who decided to close the game as it was no longer making them enough money, she will crotch-punch them so hard their pelvis will burst through their buttocks and land fifty feet away.

Last edited:

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
She never told me how much she spent but she said it was "enough" and to this day I believe if she ever meets the person who decided to close the game as it was no longer making them enough money, she will crotch-punch them so hard their pelvis will burst through their buttocks and land fifty feet away.
That's not how I remember that scene in Alien...

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
There is this guy on YouTube called Jim Stirling who thinks that (games designed to grind and offer monetization to progress faster) is bullshit and its well worth a watch if you are suffering.

I've been playing Bad Piggies and am doing fine in it, I'd say I'm 80% complete and I've not had to turn to paying to progress although that is avalable in several forms in the game. I've been playing every day for a year and a half.

Either i'm shit at mobile games or this is the War And Peace of games... or, you know, they designed it to insensitiveise pay over play...?

My wife was once a fan of a Facebook Game where you tended a Virtual garden. You were a Monster. The name of the game escapes me but it may have been Garden Monster or similar. She played every day and sunk some pennies in every so often to be able to progress. One day, the makers of the game announced it was ending, and turned it off. Her monsterous garden vanished. All the cash she'd ever put in vanished. All the time, effort, energy, interest, gone.

Hahaha, Naw, not suffering my friend. My wife wouldn't spend a freaking dime on any game, much less angry birds. I was just listening to a hilarious conversation between her and my 18yr old niece talking about the hats, and how many they had, and what is they needed to get. This is what spawned the shitpost.
The imagery you painted about what your wife may do to said developer... Now that's some terrifying and hilarious shit! She's scary. I like her!

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik

So Jim's still round eh? I used to like his content but it got stale and he went a bit too far in certain views and I stopped watching.

Year and a half every day? Nice one, rookie! 🤣
I'm roughly 900+ days into Top Drives. (Its a pay2win car ccg on mobile and probably on PC now as well) Played it every day, and put a little (less than a 100bucks) into it over the years. It's the only mobile game I ever put money into. You can get by without paying, even in late game multiplayer cos you get the premium currency if you play enough. But it's definitely aimed at whales who put in hundreds/week.

This is my oldest card I could find, but I know I got that one a few weeks after I started playing.
Screenshot_20200220-112322~2.png

It had a very decent single player campaign that was easily completed without paying a dime, but that might have changed by now. They messed around with a lot of things that made it much more p2w in multiplayer than it was in the first year.
I wonder how I'll feel about it when they close shop, but I don't see that happening anytime soon with so many new updates and paying customers.
And no, I didn't tell my wife how much I put into a silly mobile game either, she would hang me by the charging cable if she knew lol

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza

I hear ya NaffNaffBobFace. I also understand from the other side of the development argument as it is not cheap to keep servers up and running. In fact, I spend over several hundred a month on Amazon AWS to keep up a small development and test suite and am wondering how much it's going to cost to scale up once we attempt to do a soft launch.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
So Jim's still round eh? I used to like his content but it got stale and he went a bit too far in certain views and I stopped watching.

Year and a half every day? Nice one, rookie! 🤣
I'm roughly 900+ days into Top Drives. (Its a pay2win car ccg on mobile and probably on PC now as well) Played it every day, and put a little (less than a 100bucks) into it over the years. It's the only mobile game I ever put money into. You can get by without paying, even in late game multiplayer cos you get the premium currency if you play enough. But it's definitely aimed at whales who put in hundreds/week.

This is my oldest card I could find, but I know I got that one a few weeks after I started playing.
View attachment 15000

It had a very decent single player campaign that was easily completed without paying a dime, but that might have changed by now. They messed around with a lot of things that made it much more p2w in multiplayer than it was in the first year.
I wonder how I'll feel about it when they close shop, but I don't see that happening anytime soon with so many new updates and paying customers.
And no, I didn't tell my wife how much I put into a silly mobile game either, she would hang me by the charging cable if she knew lol
Bad Piggies has a good single player, its the collect-a-thon for interesting looking parts that kept me coming back. I indulged in the score-vs-score multiplayer until I was pit against someone who got triple the points I got with a flawless run so dropped it. I since found out there is a timed multiplier you can apply.
I hear ya NaffNaffBobFace. I also understand from the other side of the development argument as it is not cheap to keep servers up and running. In fact, I spend over several hundred a month on Amazon AWS to keep up a small development and test suite and am wondering how much it's going to cost to scale up once we attempt to do a soft launch.
That is true, free to play doesn't mean free to run. I see a lot of ads, the last one was for a movie and when I looked it up it was US release only so I'm not sure how effective all this targeting really is. The nearest screen was 2,900 miles away.

Last edited:

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
That is true, free to play doesn't mean free to run. I see a lot of ads, the last one was for a movie and when I looked it up it was US release only so I'm not sure how effective all this targeting really is. The nearest screen was 2,900 miles away.
That's not far you should totally go see it. In fact, make it a couple of days getaway and I'll go see the movie with ya.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Bad Piggies has a good single player, its the collect-a-thon for interesting looking parts that kept me coming back. I indulged in the score-vs-score multiplayer until I was pit against someone who got triple the points I got with a flawless run so dropped it. I since found out there is a timed multiplier you can apply.

Lol, that's some good targeting, hitting you with ads at that distance! Best I had recently was for some garden barbecue firepit building by Löwes. 3000miles or something similar to the nearest one. And I don't even have a garden lol

Btw, one thing why I endure this pay2win ccg for so long is that ads are optional only. You can get a tiny bit of extra gold each day if you click to watch ads, but otherwise there are none displayed. So far it's the best implementation of an free2play system with ads that I've seen on mobile (outside of 100% free to play, but those are extremely rare small projects usually).
Nothing is behind a paywall or ad if you just want to play, but the multiplayer matchmaking is definitely skewed. I noticed that after I payed, for 1-2 days I got matched with lesser opponents, then I got hit with impossible opponents for a couple of days. After a week it returned to normal, sometimes good, sometimes not so much, but it does mostly feel fair enough.
They are smart, they know how to retain a player base, unlike most mobile games.
WoT/warships blitz are also pretty good with zero ads but they are much more heavily p2w imho. Still, enjoyable with a good enough phone.

I'm interested in what hellish thing Sony is going to come up with now that they filed their latest "Ai player helper" patent.

Irishnutcase

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Irishnutcase
And fuck you monday! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
And fuck you monday! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
I'm on holidays!! Still.
🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🥂🍷🍺🍷🍷🍸🥃🍹

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I just thought - Monday is a human construct and does not exist anywhere except in the minds of those witnessing it...

So...

Double fuck you monday! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
As there are tables in a lot of the larger ships like the 890j, Reclaimer, Starfarer etc do you think there is a way TEST can weaponise this so we turn the Monday Beam on an enemy ship and suddenly they have a huge table flipping around the inside of the ship smashing all their stuff up?

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
As there are tables in a lot of the larger ships like the 890j, Reclaimer, Starfarer etc do you think there is a way TEST can weaponise this so we turn the Monday Beam on an enemy ship and suddenly they have a huge table flipping around the inside of the ship smashing all their stuff up?
sounds like a job for TWRL

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
It would need some sort of safety check to make sure it wouldn't spill any beer glasses.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
It would need some sort of safety check to make sure it wouldn't spill any beer glasses.
Easy solution... drink beer from the bottle, which should be kept in your hand while it contains any beer. Otherwise you're not going to get very drunk once they start flipping.
Edit: Replace "bottle" with "can" as applicable.

Irishnutcase

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Irishnutcase
What day is it?!

Gimmie an M!
Gimmie an Oh (no not Monday again)
YEP!

Challenge accepted.

Better be quick in drinking or else @Blind Owl and myself might have to come in and drink for yo lol!

Easy solution... drink beer from the bottle, which should be kept in your hand while it contains any beer. Otherwise you're not going to get very drunk once they start flipping.
Edit: Replace "bottle" with "can" as applicable.
You have two hands use both lol!

Forgot your password?