Please don't like my thread-campaign

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Just wanted to say, Fuck Philips (the brand) and their anti-repair designs!
It took me an hour+ to take apart a fucking hairdryer that cost 60+ bucks like 8 years ago, another 1+ hour tk put it back together, while trying to not break anything, cos the whole thing is made to never be taken apart ever, even though it's made to look like it's held together by screws.
It took me 10 minutes to carefully cut 2 inches off and properly resolder the sheared cable. Even added a tiny bit of extra insulation around the joins just to be extra safe. It would have cost me 80+ bucks to buy the same fancy ass decent looking hairdryer again, for 10 minutes of actual "repairs". Fuck em..

Edit.: yes as usual I had to look up a video on how to get it apart from 10years ago done by a drunk Russian farmer looking guy on his kitchen table while drinking vodka for extra smart strength...

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Just wanted to say, Fuck Philips (the brand) and their anti-repair designs!
It took me an hour+ to take apart a fucking hairdryer that cost 60+ bucks like 8 years ago, another 1+ hour tk put it back together, while trying to not break anything, cos the whole thing is made to never be taken apart ever, even though it's made to look like it's held together by screws.
It took me 10 minutes to carefully cut 2 inches off and properly resolder the sheared cable. Even added a tiny bit of extra insulation around the joins just to be extra safe. It would have cost me 80+ bucks to buy the same fancy ass decent looking hairdryer again, for 10 minutes of actual "repairs". Fuck em..

Edit.: yes as usual I had to look up a video on how to get it apart from 10years ago done by a drunk Russian farmer looking guy on his kitchen table while drinking vodka for extra smart strength...
That sucks ass. The video sounds cool though.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
That sucks ass. The video sounds cool though.
Nice! (referring to your posts number in this thread)

Yeah it sucked balls, my hands all scratched up by the damn plastic housing... but meh, had worse.
I just can't figure out what the original order of putting the parts together was supposed to be, and I did learn as an engineer ffs lul
The amount of force it requires to bend things and to push everything together is seriously risking the paint and finish, even if the plastic itself doesn't crack. But it's held together by detents and friction, like some kids toy. There is no fancy way of going about it. Designs like this annoy me to no end.
On the one hand, it's really smart, efficient use of the just the right blend of plastic, molds and no fasteners, so it's fast and easy and very cheap to assemble. On the other hand it was designed to fail and be thrown away, when it could be easily saved just by adding 1-2 extra screws for possibility of servicing the insanely simple off-the-shelf stuff inside. They could have even charged for it some silly amount, cos Philips does (or at least used to) have repair centers.
I'm not an enviromentalist freak, or a scruge mcduck when it comes to spending on a bit more premium feel shiny things, but this level of 'fuck the consumer and the environment' kind of thinking makes me angry.
Anyways, it's saved now, One small piece of supposed-to-be-junk at a time... It will serve the Mrs for a couple more years.
I can now tell uncle Rossmann that I'm doing my part!

next up is finishing the sanding on my MSR print!

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
Nice! (referring to your posts number in this thread)

Yeah it sucked balls, my hands all scratched up by the damn plastic housing... but meh, had worse.
I just can't figure out what the original order of putting the parts together was supposed to be, and I did learn as an engineer ffs lul
The amount of force it requires to bend things and to push everything together is seriously risking the paint and finish, even if the plastic itself doesn't crack. But it's held together by detents and friction, like some kids toy. There is no fancy way of going about it. Designs like this annoy me to no end.
On the one hand, it's really smart, efficient use of the just the right blend of plastic, molds and no fasteners, so it's fast and easy and very cheap to assemble. On the other hand it was designed to fail and be thrown away, when it could be easily saved just by adding 1-2 extra screws for possibility of servicing the insanely simple off-the-shelf stuff inside. They could have even charged for it some silly amount, cos Philips does (or at least used to) have repair centers.
I'm not an enviromentalist freak, or a scruge mcduck when it comes to spending on a bit more premium feel shiny things, but this level of 'fuck the consumer and the environment' kind of thinking makes me angry.
Anyways, it's saved now, One small piece of supposed-to-be-junk at a time... It will serve the Mrs for a couple more years.
I can now tell uncle Rossmann that I'm doing my part!

next up is finishing the sanding on my MSR print!
My girlfriend always gets on me about throwing out things that suddenly stop working and getting a new one but I watched that movie " the brave little toaster" at an impressionable age

DarthMatter

Space Marshal
Jul 18, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMatter
Second to last post of this page. So very close now.
Who is gonna take the bullet and make the last post to push the next post to glory?
Someone will have to take one for the team and sacrifice the chance for the 1000 page to make the journey there possible!

Forgot your password?