Please don't like my thread-campaign

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Ah the heat of summer be upon us. And then the blessed cool air did not blow. But fear not for Amazon was here to save me 300 plus dollars. For only Amazon would sell me a new motor start capacitor for 12 dollars and not charge me for a service tech to take 3 mins to install said part for 300 dollars.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Ah the heat of summer be upon us. And then the blessed cool air did not blow. But fear not for Amazon was here to save me 300 plus dollars. For only Amazon would sell me a new motor start capacitor for 12 dollars and not charge me for a service tech to take 3 mins to install said part for 300 dollars.
hmm... are we in the wrong business?

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
Ah the heat of summer be upon us ...
I wish it were so

here in Bumphukt, Mississippi the high temperature over Memorial Day weekend never even reached 70 degrees (Fahrenheit, 21deg Celsius)

I had to turn on the heater when the sun went down

normally I have fans blowing on me in stereo by this time of year

climate change is real, TESTes, and it's freaky

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
hmm... are we in the wrong business?
Sometimes I think so, but I do so enjoy my chair. And added bonus of Covid is I no longer have any meat space meetings.

But it does bring up some good jokes.

A mathematician is having problems with a leaky sink, so he calls a plumber.

The plumber comes over and quickly fixes the sink. The professor is happy until he gets the bill. He tells the plumber, "This is outrageous! You charge more for an hour than I make in a whole day!"

The plumber tells him, "You know, we are always looking for more plumbers. You could become a plumber and triple your salary. Just make sure you say you only made it to 6th grade, they don't like educated people."

The professor takes him up on the offer and becomes a plumber. His salary triples and he doesn't have to work nearly as hard. But after a few years, a law gets passed that all licensed plumbers must have at least an 8th grade education...Not wanting to admit he lied on his application, he signs up for night classes.

On the first day of night school they all attend math class. The teacher wants to gauge the class so he asks the former mathematician, "What is the formula for the area of a circle?"

He walks up to the board and realizes he has forgotten the formula. So he begins to attempt to derive the formula, filling the board with complicated mathematics. He ends up figuring out it is negative pi times radius squared, but he knows that's incorrect, so he starts over, but again he comes up with the same equation.

After staring at the board for a minute he hears one of the plumbers in the class behind him whisper, "Switch the limits on the integral, dummy!"

A plumber fixes a damaged pipe in a doctor's house and asks for 200 dollars. Doctor says to him: "Even i, don't make so much money in such a short period and i'm a doctor".

And the plumber goes: "I know sir. I used to be a doctor myself"
The trades really can make a decent wage, just don't be a framer they still go home broke after their beer budget.

I wish it were so

here in Bumphukt, Mississippi the high temperature over Memorial Day weekend never even reached 70 degrees (Fahrenheit, 21deg Celsius)

I had to turn on the heater when the sun went down

normally I have fans blowing on me in stereo by this time of year

climate change is real, TESTes, and it's freaky
Honestly I am glad it's going warmer vs going back into another ice age. Then again chasing down wooly mammoths on my snowboard might be epic.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
With every year passing I keep seeing a pattern. Our calendar is like waaay off, along with our clocks. The sun rises sooner that's for sure (5 years ago I could be up at 4AM and the first lights were just about appearing, now it's pretty much full on light outside by that point), and the rainy season of spring comes about a month later then it used to like 10 years ago. But roughly 16-20 years ago it was almost the same. I remember us freaking out in school about having snow in May, everyone was shouting about the rainforests and the ozone layer back then. Then came 10 years of hotter weather, and this year we had snow in May again, while according to a teenager on TV, I'm supposed to be writing this while being like Kevin Costner in Waterworld and drowning in ice-cap-water...

So I came to a scientific conclusion :
Fuck if I know what's going on, but Weather is happening!

A couple years ago we finally got an aircon installed, and for the first two years a tech came and did the "maintenance and care package" for the very low low discounted sum of a 100bucks. (remember that the average monthly wage here is 350 after taxes). This high-tech very care and much maintenance was that he took out the mesh screen, sprayed it with stuff, and sprayed the inside a little bit as well. He measured the temp of the air coming out, and that was it.
So last year I bought 2 large cans of the stuff off of a small petrochem companies website for 5 bucks (it's just an alcohol spray ffs). I used a lot more of the stuff then he did (cos I try to go deeper into the crevices where stagnant water might build up) but I'm still on the first bottle after 2 years, and I also have this very rare and unique thing called "skin" and that can tell me if the air is cold or not. No one got sick from the aircon yet, so I think I did a decent enough job of it.

But I was here when they installed the aircon, and boy was that a shocker! Guy almost flew off the ladder as he hit the power line in the wall with the drill, cos old communist built building, nothing is up to code, ever! The wire should have been at least 20 cms lower than where he drilled lol So yeah, I'm fine not earning as much and not dying in the process, thanks!

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
no one else is posting here

we are all just figments of your imagination

you have created 20,000 imaginary friends
But Montoya is the leader of the org... so... are we figments of his imagination...?

If he could imagine more Ammeretto into my cupboard I'd be most grateful!

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I liked this post then listen to this song and got scared. Not sure I can say i liked it.
Haha, well some might not like it but... that is what the Internet has become. I'm just not sure this started in 1999, because for a long time before web sites started carrying it, there was Usenet - and it got to be a pretty weird thing sometimes most of the time.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
Haha, well some might not like it but... that is what the Internet has become. I'm just not sure this started in 1999, because for a long time before web sites started carrying it, there was Usenet - and it got to be a pretty weird thing sometimes most of the time.
yeah, it was Alt Usenet groups where people first figured out you could say outrageous, hateful shit online without getting punched in the face for it

and thus was born the Post-Modern world

there is no off-ramp, no escape

Last edited:

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I don't think I ever ventured into Usenet. Even now I hardly ever venture into reddit. Thinking back I feel like most of my online interactions has been with in the confined space of multiplayer games, and even then it's hard to really have meaningful dialogue when you are shooting them in the face or wafflestoping their base with zergs.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I don't think I ever ventured into Usenet.
Most of your brain cells will thank you.

Even now I hardly ever venture into reddit. Thinking back I feel like most of my online interactions has been with in the confined space of multiplayer games, and even then it's hard to really have meaningful dialogue when you are shooting them in the face or wafflestoping their base with zergs.
Lets just ... ask reddit.... Btw Usenet still exists.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheoryOfReddit/comments/fxhxy View: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheoryOfReddit/comments/fxhxy/reddit_vs_usenet/

Forgot your password?