Possible Event: Drunken Pirates vs. Sober Marines

Ploeperpengel

Space Marshal
Jun 17, 2018
RSI Handle
Sadis
While I might be strongly biased against enforcement of any rules I still think this thread might come in handy to sort out trouble beforehand regarding any possible event we might have in the future and we should take this discussion into consideration given we are still having an alpha build that prevents us from having a fun experience if we don't.

Even the best plan might get twarted by unexpected game freezes, lackin group updates (poeple still being able to see previos group members after leaving the group etc.). Also todays 25 vs. 25 post event discussion showed clearly that many participants demand a better organization in terms of com discipline, location, advance notice of possible weaponsystem deployment etc.:
https://testsquadron.com/threads/after-action-review-aar-comments-for-11-august-2018-25v25-event.13990/

I identified another problem here though. Test Squadron is an inherantly anarchist (dis-) organisation of possibly unreliable nutjobs. Mass instead of class is a certainty. It could be interesting to determine the actual rate of required drunken never-do-wells against organized sober no-bullshit type of hard core militants to determine the actual surviveabilty of Test once the game goes live (next generation maybe).

So here's the deal: my proposal for another group action event would be this:

Let us pin drunken pirates against sober marines!

-For starters I propose 30 useless drunks against 20 well organized marines. The outcome determines the ratio of the following event.

Additional rules:

Pirates (Attackers):

-When I say drunk I mean drunk or equal. You'll need at least 5 Beers (or an equivalent of other culturally preferable beverages/drugs) to get you into an equally unreliable state to be part of the pirates (or pretend to be in such a state).
-The pirates need to have a crimestate.
-There will only be one singular com channel where everybody is expected to shout as loudly as he/she is pleased to do so.
-Pirates use Drake Ships (If you don't have one you are a grunt).
-No other rules will apply to the pirate team because they won't be able to uphold them.

Marines (Defenders):
-The marines will be required to be sober (less than 5 beers - or pretending to have less).
-They will have to define rules of engagement, used weaponsystems etc. and communicate them before the event because usually pirates know about that in advance (so they need to plan for all eventualities).
-I strongly recommend building something similar with discord regarding coms as noobifier suggests in his youtube channel for spectrum
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jLYS7cSC98

-Marines don't use Drake Ships
-Marines determine the location to defend.

For how we can better prepare for group events in general please discuss in Sethios thread mentioned above. I will watch that as well. Give me your two cents about this specific course of action here. We will also need someone with rights in the events forum to properly announce this to the community once it is ironed out.

Cheers

Ploep (Sadis)

Last edited:

Ploeperpengel

Space Marshal
Jun 17, 2018
RSI Handle
Sadis
I think the ratio is really something that should be determined by events. But agree as you state it it should be. The bigger problem, however, is where do we draw a line between drunk and sober? Is 5 beers enough to be drunk or might this still be considered to count as sober? Should we introduce a BMI vs. Intoxication ratio to be truly fair here?

Reactions: Bambooza

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
I like the idea. What i've noticed from the various team-based shooter games i've played, though, is that it's not the strict organizational structure that makes the difference, it's whether or not people have a good idea of their roles (and are capable of fulfilling them). It doesn't really matter if you have someone in charge, as long as nobody is working at cross-purposes to each other. I've seen far more losses due to 8 people trying to do the same thing and getting in each other's way than i have victories from good command structure/planning.

Reactions: Bambooza

Ploeperpengel

Space Marshal
Jun 17, 2018
RSI Handle
Sadis
I like the idea. What i've noticed from the various team-based shooter games i've played, though, is that it's not the strict organizational structure that makes the difference, it's whether or not people have a good idea of their roles (and are capable of fulfilling them). It doesn't really matter if you have someone in charge, as long as nobody is working at cross-purposes to each other. I've seen far more losses due to 8 people trying to do the same thing and getting in each other's way than i have victories from good command structure/planning.
Not sure about that as this seems to me as something that could be affected by a good communication and command structure. It could as well be achieved without that if a team just plays well together, because i.e. the indiviuals who work together know each other well and their repestive roles as you say. In such an experiment we'll probably find out.
That said I don't have a lot of multiplayer experience nor a military background. So unless pen & paper roleplay experiences count I don't really know what I'm talking about ;)

Reactions: Bambooza and Sraika

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I identified another benefit here though. Test Squadron is an inherantly relaxed (dis-) organisation of possibly unreliable nutjobs with personal hygiene beyond reproach. Mass instead of class is a certainty.
Edited for accuracy ;)

It could be interesting to determine the actual rate of required drunken never-do-wells against organized sober no-bullshit type of hard core militants to determine the actual surviveabilty of Test once the game goes live (next generation maybe).
[RANT]

You don't need TEST to test this, just go into Arena Commander when one of the dog-fighty orgs are there using Teamspeak.

They screw everyone over just by being able to talk to one another. If the flight model didn't fuck AC, they definitely did - it can be a ratio of 10 to 3 and they still bum everyone.

AC Battlelords, you got what you wanted. You are the best - the most deadly pilots of the current iteration of the game and it has got to the point where there is no point in going into AC anymore. You are the destroyer of worlds. Well done, enjoy, these are fruits and consequences of your labors, savor them and the loneliness that they bring. You say it is the flight model that wrecked AC? It may have contributed but I bet there is a pile of Metrics on CIGs desks that say it's only a small part of a bigger story...

What I would have given for the targeting system to only pick out foes once they had got a clear X amount of points over everyone else to give the other players a bit of organization to team up against a superior foe, so it didn't even target other players with lower point counts, just to even those odds...

How is it fair for a new backer with an Aurora MR to be targeted by a veteran with two joysticks and a Saber full of Omnisky'? It's almost a dick move.

[/RANT]

In AC BR at least, I feel the weaker ships/pilots would strongly benefit from a buff in Stealth to help the starters, and give those who are good at dogfighting a real challenge of fighting those who are at the same class level.

It'd all be based on points total, so everyone starts out evens with targeting of everyone at the beginning, but the more successful a dogfighter you are, the more dogfighting you'll have to do just to survive as your foes will begin to be channeled to you... if you can't survive, the points will level out as everyone catches up to you and targeting will go back to normal, with you no longer singled out.

It could work both ways, with the higher scorers targeting becoming restricted to only the higher scorers giving them targets that don't crumble in seconds...

I think that could work if we are still to have cross-class Battle Royale, just to balance it a bit.

Last edited:

Ploeperpengel

Space Marshal
Jun 17, 2018
RSI Handle
Sadis
Yeah I guess drunk vs. sober is the wrong distinction here. Nobody would admit being sober here even if that were the case - which it isn't!!! No! Absolutely not! - but even if it were...

So what distinction should we use to make this work? Militia vs. anarchist? I see the same problem down the road. Who is here who isn't sort of an anarchist?

Shall we try and find that other org then? Anyone have good contacts to some disciplined die hard Law Enforcers out there?
Allthough I'd still prefer to start something like this internally for a "test" run. should be much easier com wise.

Maybe we could agree on a distiction like this?

sober:
-actually sober (yeah not happening I know)
-a little inebriated
-drunk but pretending to be sober
-vision not yet as blurry to see two monitors despite having only bought one (but unsure whether that's actually true)

drunk:
-sober pretending to be drunk (might happen though)
-not totally wasted yet but planning ahead
-lying on the floor unable to stand but without needing to hold on to something to prevent further falling

Actually I don't really care about the actual state anyone is in and believe this could simply work within a roleplaying perspective. will alter the first post accordingly.

Reactions: Sraika and Bambooza

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Forgot your password?