Question on Buying Back Pledges and Melting

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
How do pledge buy-backs work, again? I’m confused, just want to find out what I should do (in preparation for the upcoming CitizenCon and Anniversary sales).

Melting = "exchange for store credit" right? Do I just melt my pledge, get the money, and buy back the pledge? Do I get the LTI again with the ship?

(Full explanation/long story: I had the Exploration Package with the 315p. I was tired of getting thrashed in dogfights, so I upgraded that to a Sabre. The LTI for the 315p transferred to the Sabre, but because I *upgraded the 315p* (and didn't exchange for credit) I don’t have that pledge buyback available.)

I have plenty of LTI token ships available...I guess I could just use an LTI token and CCU that to a 315p, but I thought it would be nice to have the original ship again.

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock
So, these are supposed to be changing soon, but you can melt a ship, then buy it back with the store credit you get from melting it. It will retain the original package, so you won't get the Sabre you upgraded to, but the 315p with the LTI and any other things in it's package. You won't be able to gift it though, because you bought it with store credit instead of cash.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
You will retain everything on the original package. So you will loose the Sabre, but you'll be able to buyback the original 315p Package with all its perks and insurance, PROVIDING there are no physical items included with the package. If there are, DO NOT MELT IT. You will not be able to buy it back.

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
You can melt a pledge and get the money back for it.
You can buy back a melted pledge with new money anytime you like, or with store credits, using a buyback token (buyback tokens are issued by CIG 3 or 4 times a year).
When you buy back a pledge, you get the original pledge in the state it was when you first bought it (no upgrades, CCUs or anything).
After you do whatever you want to do, make sure you still have a game package, so you can still play the game.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
And you MUST have a buyback token available to buy the package back with store credit.
You can then use an LTI token to upgrade to a sabre during one of the sales.
You can buy back a melted pledge with new money anytime you like, or with store credits, using a buyback token (buyback tokens are issued by CIG 3 or 4 times a year).
I have plenty of LTI token ships available...I guess I could just use an LTI token and CCU that to a 315p, but I thought it would be nice to have the original ship again.
Soooo, if I read this correct, then you want to have the 315p with package and another ship, or even more ships. Since you only have 1 buy back token, I would suggest to buy back the most expensive with the buy back token and store credits. That probably will be your 315p package. Another big advantage is that you won't want to sell/gift your package. When using store credits on the buyback ship, it will not be giftable, which is OK for your game package.
For any other ship, you buy back the cheapest LTI token with real cash. You can upgrade it to what you want but it will stay giftable, since the LTI token with real cash is giftable. this won't change when you upgrade it to whatever with store credits.

You will retain everything on the original package. So you will loose the Sabre, but you'll be able to buyback the original 315p Package with all its perks and insurance, PROVIDING there are no physical items included with the package. If there are, DO NOT MELT IT. You will not be able to buy it back.
A very good point. If you want to be sure, ask the proffesionals, @makute, @Elmy, @Sirus7264 seem to be a good source for this kind of information. If your package can't be bought back after melting, then it always is possible to ask CIG if they can revert your package to it's original state. It may take a while, but don't discard that possibility.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
So, these are supposed to be changing soon, but you can melt a ship, then buy it back with the store credit you get from melting it. It will retain the original package, so you won't get the Sabre you upgraded to, but the 315p with the LTI and any other things in it's package. You won't be able to gift it though, because you bought it with store credit instead of cash.
And you MUST have a buyback token available to buy the package back with store credit.
You can then use an LTI token to upgrade to a sabre during one of the sales.
When you buy back a pledge, you get the original pledge in the state it was when you first bought it (no upgrades, CCUs or anything).
After you do whatever you want to do, make sure you still have a game package, so you can still play the game.
Soooo, if I read this correct, then you want to have the 315p with package and another ship, or even more ships. Since you only have 1 buy back token, I would suggest to buy back the most expensive with the buy back token and store credits. That probably will be your 315p package. Another big advantage is that you won't want to sell/gift your package. When using store credits on the buyback ship, it will not be giftable, which is OK for your game package.
For any other ship, you buy back the cheapest LTI token with real cash. You can upgrade it to what you want but it will stay giftable, since the LTI token with real cash is giftable. this won't change when you upgrade it to whatever with store credits.

A very good point. If you want to be sure, ask the proffesionals, @makute, @Elmy, @Sirus7264 seem to be a good source for this kind of information. If your package can't be bought back after melting, then it always is possible to ask CIG if they can revert your package to it's original state. It may take a while, but don't discard that possibility.
Great, that explains *a lot*! I was confused about what I knew, and didn't know what I didn't know...if that makes sense.

Yes, the idea was, I want to get back my 315p with LTI, and use an LTI token to CCU up to a Sabre again.

I'll double check that there weren't any physical items associated with the pledge, I believe it was all digital.

Thanks for the help!

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
Yes, the idea was, I want to get back my 315p with LTI, and use an LTI token to CCU up to a Sabre again.
Now I'm confused. So you had a 315P LTI package that you CCU'd into a Sabre.
Now you melted it and want to get a 315P LTI package (buyback using a buyback token and store credits) and get one more LTI token (a cheap concept ship with LTI) that you're going to CCU into a Sabre, so you end up with 2 ships?

Elmy

Admiral
Feb 20, 2017
RSI Handle
Elmy-pcc

There is nothing to add here. @Blind Owl is spot on. :slight_smile:

Last edited:

Elmy

Admiral
Feb 20, 2017
RSI Handle
Elmy-pcc
Am I missing something?
I wonder about this too. The only so-called change I know of that has nothing to do with the buy back system is that they are going to cancel all old 0$ upgrades people have laying around. After that all 0$ upgrades will be time limited.

Last edited:

Elmy

Admiral
Feb 20, 2017
RSI Handle
Elmy-pcc
And just since many people think they are 2 different things. Let me clear it up. A CCU and a upgrade is the exact same thing.
The only reason it has two names is because before. A upgrade was called CCU for short. Meaning Cross Chassis Upgrade. (upgrading one ship to another ship that is totally different shape and size, instead of upgrading to a different version of the same ship)

But then CIG ditched the whole name and just called it ship upgrade.
As such the confusion for newer players arise.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
Heres a few questions for you. did you directly upgrade from the 315 to the sabre? also what is the current melt value of the package? Here are a few things you may want to consider before 3.0 comes out. There will be a price increase on several ships so you need to get the upgrades to them. your thinking is in the right place melt the sabre buy back your package with the 315(the 315 im sure will get a price increase after the rework). Then if you have a warbond nox or x1 buy that back(with cash). Next buy the upgrade from X1 to gladius and a Gladius to cutlass black upgrade. lastly buy the upgrade from cutlass black to sabre(or sabre raven if possible and it isnt the intel promo ship during citizen con) during anniversary sale. sell the cutlas black to sabre upgrade. once this is complete wait for 3.0 to come out and all those price increases to happen. Lastly buyback with cash the cutlass black to sabre upgrade and apply all. your upgrade path will look like this

X1/nox--->gladius--->cutlass black--->sabre
at the minimal you will save this much money
X1 - 5USD(if warbond 10 USD)
Cutlassblack - 5 USD
In total minimal 15 USD. This number can be increased if any of the final ship prices are higher I think 20-25 USD savings is a much better number to assume. I have all of these upgrades waiting for me(Will most likely use them in the long run for polaris when polaris release happens. Or something else if i like it.)

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Ok, wow, these are all great ideas...the options are blowing my mind...

Excellent points, @Blind Owl re: only being able to melt & get back *all Digital* pledges...
& also, @marcsand2 about using store credit to buy the pledge back, since I don't ever want to get rid of/gift that...

Let me run one more scenario by you all (some of my difficulty understanding this is because I've been mis-understanding the difference between a "pledge" and an "upgrade"):

So right now, if I've *pledged* for, let's say a Pioneer...after the 30 day wait period is over, I could melt that, and buy a Hammerhead *pledge* with the store credits...if at some point later on I melted the Hammerhead, since that was a pledge too, I would still be able to buy it back (provided I have a buy-back token, etc.). I may not be able to gift it, if I buy it with store credit?

Does that sound right?

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
after the 30 day wait period is over
Which 30 day wait period? did I miss something (it happens often enough)? Normally you can melt a pledge after 24 hours.
some of my difficulty understanding this is because I've been mis-understanding the difference between a "pledge" and an "upgrade"
You pledge by investing money into star citizen. This can be done by buying ships or CCU upgrades or extras. Everything you buy, which isn't a special promotion (like the AMD Mustang or Sabre Raven) or contains physical items (I don't have an example of that) usually can be melted (exchanged for store credits) and unmelted (buy back pledges)

So right now, if I've *pledged* for, let's say a Pioneer...after the 30 day wait period is over, I could melt that, and buy a Hammerhead *pledge* with the store credits...if at some point later on I melted the Hammerhead, since that was a pledge too, I would still be able to buy it back (provided I have a buy-back token, etc.). I may not be able to gift it, if I buy it with store credit?
Yes, except for the 30 days, which actually is 1 day, you are correct.

Reactions: Blind Owl
Forgot your password?