Question regarding the throttle explanation in ATV "Flight Advance, ArcCorp Glance | 3.4.03)

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
I understand Andrew Nicholson insofar that you now have to activate the reverse/retro thrust by pressing a key and then you can control the thrust by the throttle (right?). But I just don't understand what he says afterwards.
"(...)if you are playing with the half throttle control" - what is a half throttle? And what are you doing, when you just own a full throttle? *confused*
"(...)we kind of split into two types. There is like the full which would be the omnidirectional throttle" - WHAT?!? What is he talking about??
"(...)but by default we gonna be half throttle." Wha....? What has that to do with the sentence before?
"(...) So maximum a hundred percent is a full forward thrust" Okay, that I understand. 100% = full throttle. Nothing to see here.
"(...)Flip to the inverse of that you now applying 0 percent throttle...". Basically he is saying, that 0% = zero throttle. Well, yeah, thats how machines are working. *confusedblink*
"(...) to apply maximum retro thrust." WHAT?! So, if I get him right, the throttle at 0% thrust equals 100% retro thrust?
He lost me totally.

Can any of you please solve this riddle and explain to me what Andrew is trying to explain to us?

Firen

Vice Admiral
Feb 6, 2018
RSI Handle
jeremyD
i m just waiting until 3.5 to be honest. I m expecting alot of time to reconfigure my HOTAS.

I havnt played since 1 month and i think i will just wait patiently for 3.5.

Reactions: Deroth

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
But you honestly also don't know about what Andrew is talking about...?

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
In the end I think it won't will matter too much as you could possibly rebind motions and keys to where it feels like what could be considered normal operation.

Firen

Vice Admiral
Feb 6, 2018
RSI Handle
jeremyD
from what i understand:
- push the throttle and you advance (that s the easy part lol).
- withdraw the throttle and you lower your speed aka deceleration
- throtle at 0 and you just stabilize your ship.
- you will have a switch to turn of this system so you will be able to drift without your ship braking.

For the rest i will figure it when it goes live

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
100% throttle is what it sounds like.
50% throttle is 0% thrust. You won't accelerate or decelerate.
0% throttle is 100% retro thrust, so if you were moving forward you will come to a stop. This won't make you go backwards though.
At least this is how I understood it, might be wrong. I couldn't figure out what he meant by switching this retro thrust, how the heck are we supposed to fly without it?

Also they put back the space break button, and added a hold-for-decoupled mode button. I hope they didn't remove the toggle button for this...

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
100% throttle is what it sounds like.
50% throttle is 0% thrust. You won't accelerate or decelerate.
0% throttle is 100% retro thrust, so if you were moving forward you will come to a stop. This won't make you go backwards though.
At least this is how I understood it, might be wrong. I couldn't figure out what he meant by switching this retro thrust, how the heck are we supposed to fly without it?

Also they put back the space break button, and added a hold-for-decoupled mode button. I hope they didn't remove the toggle button for this...
Thanks a lot!!
Although I'm not sure that's a good approach. For example, I had defined "strafe up/down" on a slider of my HOSAS. The problem was that I never actually hit the center exactly, so the ship was always strafing up or down a bit. In other words, if the slider/throttle isn't exactly in the middle - will we always have to struggle with the fact that we're going to have some retro/thrust...?

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Thanks a lot!!
Although I'm not sure that's a good approach. For example, I had defined "strafe up/down" on a slider of my HOSAS. The problem was that I never actually hit the center exactly, so the ship was always strafing up or down a bit. In other words, if the slider/throttle isn't exactly in the middle - will we always have to struggle with the fact that we're going to have some retro/thrust...?
Yep, that is a concern. I had the throttle set up in different space games before where the ship would start going backwards past the midpoint. I could rarely get it right. Maybe on some of the more expensive hotas you have an option on the hardware to get it "click" in to the middle position, but on a small slider like I got on my ms sidewinder it's kinda impossible to get it right.
The only way I see for this working if they allow an adjustable deadzone for the middle throttle position as well, so you have some room for error.

Reactions: Deroth and AstroSam

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
from what i understand:
- push the throttle and you advance (that s the easy part lol).
- withdraw the throttle and you lower your speed aka deceleration
- throtle at 0 and you just stabilize your ship.
- you will have a switch to turn of this system so you will be able to drift without your ship braking.

For the rest i will figure it when it goes live

I dunno, that whole segment was weird to me.

It seems they took a relatively simple idea of reducing throttle to slow you down, and extrapolated it into something more complicated which does one thing, slow you down.

Translation: Reduce throttle to slow down.

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
I think I get it now. The secret lies in the first sentence of Andrew. There seems to be an option:
Option 1 = "normal", as thrust PLUS a button to switch the throttle to retro thrust;
Option 2 = "alternative", center = 0-position, forward position = thrust, backward position = retro thrust.

I will translate it that way to the German community.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
I dunno, that whole segment was weird to me.

It seems they took a relatively simple idea of reducing throttle to slow you down, and extrapolated it into something more complicated which does one thing, slow you down.

Translation: Reduce throttle to slow down.
So.....par for the course with SC?

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I have a feeling they are just doing a crappy job of explaining it and once we get our hands on it it should work rather well after the learning curve.
You might be right now that I look at the video from that perspective... I also think they might be talking about new default options - that you can change if you need/want. Hopefully.

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace
Forgot your password?