Railen Q&A, Hull B Change

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
The cargo containers are not shaped like that though are they?

They have square ends, O I would imagine thats where the pods sit, in the ends.
Do you mean a bit like this?

1624817694237.png

If so, yep they still fit and with about as much if not less wasted space as an internal cargo bay which needs walk-way space to pass through/around to get to the test of the ship? 👍

atpbx

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2016
RSI Handle
General Fisting
Do you mean a bit like this?

View attachment 20973

If so, yep they still fit and with about as much if not less wasted space as an internal cargo bay which needs walk-way space to pass through/around to get to the test of the ship? 👍
Something like that I would imagine.

There must be a philosophy behind why they have done it this way, you dont have to depressurize the whole cargo bay to unload pods, you can selectively unload certain pods without having to unload anything else thats in the way (THAT is going to be a pain if or when they physicalize cargo), while still staying relatively protected.
I imagine the shape simply is just a rule of cool thing, they came up with a figure they wanted it to carry and squares looked stupid, so we have triangles-ish becuase they lookmbetter.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Something like that I would imagine.

There must be a philosophy behind why they have done it this way, you dont have to depressurize the whole cargo bay to unload pods, you can selectively unload certain pods without having to unload anything else thats in the way (THAT is going to be a pain if or when they physicalize cargo), while still staying relatively protected.
I imagine the shape simply is just a rule of cool thing, they came up with a figure they wanted it to carry and squares looked stupid, so we have triangles-ish becuase they lookmbetter.
I've been wondering, with the cargo pods separated in to so many separate containers does it make it more secure than one big cargo hold? It might take more bullets to blast a hole in the side of an internal cargo hold, but once it's open it's all the eggs in the one basket... Blow a hole in one of the pods might be easier but you have like 3% of the total cargo capacity and although the 3 pods round it might catch some damage too it's going to be a lot less lost in the greater scheme of things...?

Last edited:

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
I've been wondering, with the cargo pods separated in to so many separate containers does it make it more secure than one big cargo hold? It might take more bullets to blast a hole in the side of an internal cargo hold, but once it's open it's all the eggs in the one basket... Blow a hole in one of the pods might be easier but you have like 3% of the total cargo capacity and although the 3 pods round it might catch some damage too it's going to be a lot less lost in the greater scheme of things...?
I think it's highly situational:
- If you're transporting something corrosive/flammable, a single bullet sparking a single crate in single cargo hold could destroy everything in that hold, in which case separate holds would be safer.
- If you're transporting metal, doesn't matter if a bullet penetrates the hold, it'll only damage what it hits.
- If they're not using a bullet but a missile, the single internal cargo bay would be safer with thicker walls, while the explosion would rip apart apart several of those slightly shielded triangles.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I think it's highly situational:
- If you're transporting something corrosive/flammable, a single bullet sparking a single crate in single cargo hold could destroy everything in that hold, in which case separate holds would be safer.
- If you're transporting metal, doesn't matter if a bullet penetrates the hold, it'll only damage what it hits.
- If they're not using a bullet but a missile, the single internal cargo bay would be safer with thicker walls, while the explosion would rip apart apart several of those slightly shielded triangles.
This is why you run a load of precious cargo along with multiple Cat's full of scrap. Let the missiles destroy the trash instead of the prize.

Reactions: FZD
Forgot your password?