RiceMaiden's Hangar of Ship Models

RiceMaiden

Admiral
Jan 21, 2017
RSI Handle
RiceMaiden
What 3d printer are you using - it looks really good quality. I've been fancying one for a while but struggling to work out which one to get.
I'm using a Makerbot Replicator Dual (original). Bought it new around ~6 years ago. Paid for itself twice over now and has an unfathomable number of hours on it. Awesome machine that I still use today.

On another note; I built a friend of mine a Mustang Delta model to commemorate his in-game purchase. He's decided to give it paint and decals! I think it's gonna come out amazing! Here are some WIP pictures he sent me. I'll upload the find pics when he finishes!

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
OK thanks dude that's awesome I know someone with a Davinci one and I couldn't get it to work myself the drivers seemed really dodgy.

Will look at makerbot when I look! :)

RiceMaiden

Admiral
Jan 21, 2017
RSI Handle
RiceMaiden
Will look at makerbot when I look! :slight_smile:
Other than the Rep-Rap open source printer, I didn't have a whole lot of selection back in the day. Makerbot was the highest quality hobby level out of the box and it shows today. Software was a bit dodgy back in the day but after a year the Makerware (and subsequently Makerbot Desktop) have shown to be ultra reliable and excellent pieces of software for converting models to print code.

However the Makerbot models are still super expensive. I'd recommend shopping around a bit. If I did buy a second printer I'd probably be looking heavily at Ultimaker. They seem to go for about half the price of the new Makerbot printers but seem to have a good compatibility with the Makerbot software.

Likewise if you are on a budget I know some good ~$500 printers exist. Something with reliable hardware and good software support is key!

RiceMaiden

Admiral
Jan 21, 2017
RSI Handle
RiceMaiden
Pretty amazing. Some of those look like the would fly if you put a couple EDFs in them. The Sabre airframe might fly.
I've always liked RC airplanes and so the thought of building a larger actual flight ready model has crossed mind. Would be awesome to see a large Anvil Hurricane RC plane flying around :D

Sadly it would be a pretty expensive project for a hobby I'm not actively in.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I used to design, build, fly and mostly crash RC aircraft, and I can tell you it is easier and cheaper than you would imagine. Especially the crashing part. The airframe is the expensive part, but you can make something flyable with few bits and add the style after you know it will fly. And my guess is, you could find a fair market for such things. Anyone who can take a model of an MV-22 and turn it into a flying Prowler could find serious cash for that.

I haven't done it in 10 years now, but my guess is you can buy an EDF plane kit on ebay with the transmitter for less than $100. The hard part is really the stuff you are already doing.

RiceMaiden

Admiral
Jan 21, 2017
RSI Handle
RiceMaiden
I used to design, build, fly and mostly crash RC aircraft, and I can tell you it is easier and cheaper than you would imagine. Especially the crashing part. The airframe is the expensive part, but you can make something flyable with few bits and add the style after you know it will fly. And my guess is, you could find a fair market for such things. Anyone who can take a model of an MV-22 and turn it into a flying Prowler could find serious cash for that.

I haven't done it in 10 years now, but my guess is you can buy an EDF plane kit on ebay with the transmitter for less than $100. The hard part is really the stuff you are already doing.
I never realized how cheap the hobby had become. I guess the introduction of overseas 2.4ghz radios and mass produced liPo batteries has greatly helped out? I may have to pickup a beginner plane and start training my flying skills.

Gearen

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Gearen
I'm using a Makerbot Replicator Dual (original). Bought it new around ~6 years ago. Paid for itself twice over now and has an unfathomable number of hours on it. Awesome machine that I still use today.

On another note; I built a friend of mine a Mustang Delta model to commemorate his in-game purchase. He's decided to give it paint and decals! I think it's gonna come out amazing! Here are some WIP pictures he sent me. I'll upload the find pics when he finishes!

Make the Omega please

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I never realized how cheap the hobby had become. I guess the introduction of overseas 2.4ghz radios and mass produced liPo batteries has greatly helped out? I may have to pickup a beginner plane and start training my flying skills.
Yeh the introduction of china and Taiwan has drastically reduced the costs of this hobby. I used to spend a lot on RC cars planes and helicopters. Stuff is cheap as chips now, not just cheap but much more awesome!!! EG multiaxis gyro stabilisation, brushless motors, cheap lipos, etc. Woot! Maybe time to get back into it!!!

Forgot your password?