RiceMaiden's Hangar of Ship Models

RiceMaiden

Admiral
Jan 21, 2017
RSI Handle
RiceMaiden
Rice, how did you get the 3D bits into the printer? What process did you use to map and what did you map, or was there already a map or did you draw them yourself?
90% of the 3D printed bits I've ever used were manually modeled. I used the surface model (holoviewer CTM) to trace in my CAD program (PTC Creo Elements Direct) so my dimensions are more or less correct. The advantage of this is that I can quickly add simple edits to make the parts come off the printer looking better with less support structure.

The only exception to this was the P-52 and P-72 models. The rear engine/intake pieces are converted straight from the holoviewer model with some cleanup and edits to fit into my laser cut pieces. That process to looked like this:

- Download holoviewer CTM
- Reduce Poly count and cleanup in Meshlab
- Convert to STEP file in FreeCAD
- Clean up and repair surface in Creo Elements Direct
- Convert surface to solid model in Creo Elements Direct

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I cannot. Most of the animation work is done in the surface model realm (games, movies, animation), which I am not well versed in. Most of what I work with is in the solid model realm (engineering).
I asked because I am looking to hire someone who can do this kind of work, but we are still hoping for one person who can do both this, including model building, and animation for industrial vids like the one I posted above.

If you want to draw and model real spacecraft, send me a private note and I'll send you my work email.

StdDev

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 16, 2017
RSI Handle
StdDev
I'll take two!
very nice...

Reactions: Blind Owl

RiceMaiden

Admiral
Jan 21, 2017
RSI Handle
RiceMaiden
It's been a while since I've updated this thread... the last ship was the.... Buccanear?

Things are always a bit busy for me at the beginning of the year so I haven't been working on ships as much as of late.

Here is an updated list of ships since then:

Drake Dragonfly:

MISC Razor:

Aegis Eclipse:

Xian Nox:

Vanduul Glaive:

RSI Zeus:

Khartu-Al Scout:

RSI Aurora LN:

Origin X1:

Origin 85x (Concept):

Anvil Hawk:

Box Jockey

Ensign
Feb 11, 2018
RSI Handle
Box-Jockey
Damn dude, that's awesome! It came out perfect!

EDIT: I guess I need to build a stand now. I made a stand for mine, but yours is much better :smile:
Trust me I totally screwed stuff up. But I found if I stand back a ways and take a picture with a potato you cant tell! :smile: It is a bit overkill but it prints pretty easy. Doesn't matter what the stand looks like though because everyone will just be looking at the model :) Thanks again for all your work!

hardroc77

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 27, 2015
RSI Handle
hardroc77
Thanks a million for taking the time to design these! My brother and I both made Glaives, came out great! I made a stand that uses 2 608 skateboard bearings so that you can rotate it. If you like it, its up on thinginverse.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2789756

It's been a while since I've updated this thread... the last ship was the.... Buccanear?

Things are always a bit busy for me at the beginning of the year so I haven't been working on ships as much as of late.

Here is an updated list of ships since then:

Drake Dragonfly:

MISC Razor:

Aegis Eclipse:

Xian Nox:

Vanduul Glaive:

RSI Zeus:

Khartu-Al Scout:

RSI Aurora LN:

Origin X1:

Origin 85x (Concept):

Anvil Hawk:

Are you guys serious!? These look perfect. You are now to be considered professional model makers.
100 points each to @Box Jockey and @RiceMaiden

Forgot your password?