Role comparison/practicality of the new Origin 100 series

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Actually, I already own a Titan so that much is settled, I also have a 315p if I feel like cruising about and (probably) do exploration.

What I was looking for is a starter ship, and since I started with a Mustang Alpha then upgraded to the 315p, I thought I should still have a starter ship, because we don't know how things will be when the game comes out (restrictions on what ship you can pilot etc.), so have a starter ship is probably a very solid investment. And with the 100 series looking fab I was wondering if it has more than just look (i.e. practicality)
which model tho :smile: well I guess it's more down to what one wants to do (trading/fighting/etc.)
In my humble opinion, IF you are looking to invest new money on a 100 series ship to have a "starter ship", you already have that base covered with your Titan & 315p. I would say that in this scenario, if your titan is not already LTI, then I would get the 100i with LTI, melt your titan & CCU the 100i into a new Titan with LTI as then you would have a starter ship with better guns, shields, cargo capacity that still looks sweet.

Yes, I know that LTI is mainly a "status symbol", but in my opinion, the biggest benefit is the piece of mind. I know that any of my ships with LTI will always have at least the base hull & equipment covered with the insurance. Which is something that knowing me I'd end up losing all of my creds just before the insurance was due to be renewed.

MegaMonkey

Vice Admiral
Sep 12, 2017
RSI Handle
MegaMonkey
In my humble opinion, IF you are looking to invest new money on a 100 series ship to have a "starter ship", you already have that base covered with your Titan & 315p. I would say that in this scenario, if your titan is not already LTI, then I would get the 100i with LTI, melt your titan & CCU the 100i into a new Titan with LTI as then you would have a starter ship with better guns, shields, cargo capacity that still looks sweet.

Yes, I know that LTI is mainly a "status symbol", but in my opinion, the biggest benefit is the piece of mind. I know that any of my ships with LTI will always have at least the base hull & equipment covered with the insurance. Which is something that knowing me I'd end up losing all of my creds just before the insurance was due to be renewed.
that's not a bad plan... assuming I can use my titat/315p off the bat, getting the LTI will be nice though, I agree it's just for peace of mind, but knowing myself, the tilt I will get if I lose a ship and have to drop back a couple of levels before I can recover will ruin the game for me.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Another good point to buy the 100i is that you will get a 300i as loaner. The 300i has one huge advantage. For the people doing dogfight it was noticeable that that the Omnisky IX is a very good weapon. It is a slow shooting S3 laser cannon, but in contrast to the Panther repeater and other laser cannons the Omnisky does much more damage to the hull without grinding down shields.

The Omnisky IX can't be bought in REC or Voyage direct store, but it comes stock with the 300i. The big advantage of buying ships for their weapons is that if you lose your ship with loaned weapons, you also can reclaim the loaned weapons by reclaiming the donor ship.

Reactions: Talonsbane

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Another good point to buy the 100i is that you will get a 300i as loaner. The 300i has one huge advantage. For the people doing dogfight it was noticeable that that the Omnisky IX is a very good weapon. It is a slow shooting S3 laser cannon, but in contrast to the Panther repeater and other laser cannons the Omnisky does much more damage to the hull without grinding down shields.

The Omnisky IX can't be bought in REC or Voyage direct store, but it comes stock with the 300i. The big advantage of buying ships for their weapons is that if you lose your ship with loaned weapons, you also can reclaim the loaned weapons by reclaiming the donor ship.
Oooh, thats interesting. I remember that being true in the old patches but they got nerfed - is this a recent finding? Has the Omni been given its teeth back?

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Oooh, thats interesting. I remember that being true in the old patches but they got nerfed - is this a recent finding? Has the Omni been given its teeth back?
Well, let me put it this way: if you can hit with the Omni, then it surely is way more effective then repeaters.

In PTU 3.1.2b I was able to successfully hit with the Omni in VS and PS, blasting away every opposition with the Gladius and 3 S3 Omnis.

Yesterday I discovered in PU that I had 2 S3 Omnis???? (why.. check ship list... 300i... aha... I don't own one) The flight model against pirates was sooooo stuttery that no decent aim was possible. Just get as close as possible on your target (-50m) and start spraying with those repeaters.

Feb 15, 2021
RSI Handle
BabblingBafoon
The Aurora is not a true variant just same hulls with different loadouts. 1 Aurora and you can swap parts one for the other.
Super late to this thread, but is this actually true for the "cargo" space specifically? Meaning, can I buy an LX and somehow add the cargo space to it like the CL has?

I know weapons and such can be changed out, but cargo area??

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Super late to this thread, but is this actually true for the "cargo" space specifically? Meaning, can I buy an LX and somehow add the cargo space to it like the CL has?

I know weapons and such can be changed out, but cargo area??
Possibly.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvDs7RDKCag

There are minor differences between versions., but the cargo seems to be some kind of cargo hold. If you could buy a CL cargo hold in-game, there you go

Reactions: Blind Owl

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
On the other hand...
CL:
1613596123401.png

LN:
1613596184492.png

It looks like the "clamp" on the bottom holds the cargo. That might be a structural difference between models of the Aurora.
The LN, MR and LX have the same half-size clamp, while the CL has a full size clamp.
If that clamp is a structural part of a model... bad luck.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Help me out here, I'm trying to figure out which of the ships I want that would "fit its role" better.

100i (touring) : I'm guessing any ship that got a clean look and luxury feeling to it can fir the role of flying around in style. This one sure got the looks (but then again, all the 100 series looks the same lol) so I'm guessing it fits the touring role pretty well? but will there be a way to make money from that? as a starter ship getting a good start (and also a good fallback) for making money easily would be a nice plus.

125a (light fighter) : can't say about how it handles, the only parameters I can compare with other starter/light fighter ships are size and speed, and while smaller than a mustang it's a bit slower (not sure if those 10m/s would make a difference since you almost never go top speed in a fight). As for firepower, I'm not sure how to describe my disappointment with this? the only extra between other types is the 2 size 1 missiles, the guns are the same (2 size 1 guns) as the other models, so... will 2 missiles really be the thing that makes this model better for running combat missions? (judging from the rearming price for missiles... lol).

135c (light freight) : well... the same SCU capacity as the other starter/light freight ships, much slower than the mustang, and slightly faster than the aurora, and same light guns as the mustang, and way under-gunned than the aurora... It can do the role of a light freight just fine, but it feels like it's not better in any way than the other two, more or less an under average cargo ship... but it gets bonus points for style 😘

so... what do you guys think? which one is more fitting? (I personally am willing to try every role when starting out, I'll buy the bigger/more specialized ships later on when I see what style I like better).
If like the Origin styling, you might be better served with a 300i. I know you are asking about the 100 series, but it is a major upgrade for a little cash.

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
It looks like the "clamp" on the bottom holds the cargo. That might be a structural difference between models of the Aurora. The LN, MR and LX have the same half-size clamp, while the CL has a full size clamp. If that clamp is a structural part of a model... bad luck.
Indeed, I've never been convinced that the CL is not a physical variant, given that cargo track. Anyone ever seen anything definitive on that?

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Indeed, I've never been convinced that the CL is not a physical variant, given that cargo track. Anyone ever seen anything definitive on that?
I think the Auroras are in some limbo state....
Initially the hardpoint ware different with the LN being the only one with 4 weapons hardpoint, then all of them received the 2 additional, still the missile rack is still a S4 for the LN and an S2 for the others...
Initially the cargo capacity of the Aurora series was suppose to be tied to the cargo container they carry tat could be used across all the line (with the difference thatt the CL came stock with the larger one), but I'll nott be surprise if CIG will reconsider the whole series and make them individual variant, just like we have the 300 and 100 series

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Original commercial for the Aurora shows the longer box as swappable onto the legionnaire.

View: https://youtu.be/UvDs7RDKCag
yeap, that was my initial thought, until I looked at the CL and LN in the component configurator. That clamp wasn't in the original commercial.

1614014614336.png

The cargo box magically is glued to the bottom of the ship.

1614014710008.png

The new boxes not only are bigger, they also are twice as long.

Gucci

Space Marshal
Nov 17, 2015
RSI Handle
Ras-al-Ghul
Actually, I already own a Titan so that much is settled, I also have a 315p if I feel like cruising about and (probably) do exploration.

What I was looking for is a starter ship, and since I started with a Mustang Alpha then upgraded to the 315p, I thought I should still have a starter ship, because we don't know how things will be when the game comes out (restrictions on what ship you can pilot etc.), so have a starter ship is probably a very solid investment. And with the 100 series looking fab I was wondering if it has more than just look (i.e. practicality)
Your 315 will be fully soloable/usable as a starter ship when the game is live, plus it can pretty much all the starter roles better than most of the starters.. You would do best to save both the 315 as your "Starter" and the money you were planning to spend for a non-starter role/upgrade you may want later.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
yeap, that was my initial thought, until I looked at the CL and LN in the component configurator. That clamp wasn't in the original commercial.

View attachment 20341

The cargo box magically is glued to the bottom of the ship.

View attachment 20342

The new boxes not only are bigger, they also are twice as long.
They haven't said what they originally promissed wasn't going to still work. Though we won't know until the cargo boxes actually work and are in game.

And the clamp might move along the rails, or be part of the box.

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
Yeah, that clamp is what added the wildcard. My hunch is its interchangeable.

I might upgrade to the CL for the larger box if its not, though 'Test' piloting my LN into oblivion sounds like more fun.

Forgot your password?