RSI Galaxy Screenshots and speculation

Brictoria

Rear Admiral
Apr 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Brictoria
But they've also stated that weapons and sizes have specific purposes and the differentiation will be based on role. And the Anti-Fighter/Anti-Ordinance role has been defined as size 4 and under.
Just because a turret comes fitted with size 5's by default doesn't prevent the owner from removing them and adding a smaller sized weapon (Size 4, for example), does it?

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
But they've also stated that weapons and sizes have specific purposes and the differentiation will be based on role. And the Anti-Fighter/Anti-Ordinance role has been defined as size 4 and under.
IIRC, this is not a hard boundary. In the same show where he gave this explanation, he also stated that there would eventually be a much wider variety including things like anti-fighter cannons and larger weapons.

Edit: What they ACTUALLY decide to do remains to be seen. But the problem you bring up is a real weakness of some of the larger ships, and will create noise if not effectively addressed.

Brictoria

Rear Admiral
Apr 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Brictoria
It's a shame you probably can't fit a prospector in the hangar - Being able to mine, then unload directly into a refinery like this would have been nice, and might have tempted me to give quantanium mining a go as the dreaded countdown would no longer be an issue - Looks like I'll be sticking to a Liberator with Prospector and Expanse on board instead..
And... Zyloh has confirmed that the Hangar is indeed an XXS, not an XS as originally advertised, so no mobile prospector\refinery module Galaxy for me :(

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
IIRC, this is not a hard boundary. In the same show where he gave this explanation, he also stated that there would eventually be a much wider variety including things like anti-fighter cannons and larger weapons.

Edit: What they ACTUALLY decide to do remains to be seen. But the problem you bring up is a real weakness of some of the larger ships, and will create noise if not effectively addressed.
It has been a stated boundry and an implied boundary. Of course everything is subject to change, but changing this boundary invites significant power creep.

Last edited:

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
And... Zyloh has confirmed that the Hangar is indeed an XXS, not an XS as originally advertised, so no mobile prospector\refinery module Galaxy for me :(
Yes, this is the nail in the coffin.. I'll stick with the Carrack as Exploration is how I intend to spend most of my limited game time. Having a large utility ship is appealing, but this one just moved to the 'aquire in game' category.

Brictoria

Rear Admiral
Apr 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Brictoria
Yes, this is the nail in the coffin.. I'll stick with the Carrack as Exploration is how I intend to spend most of my limited game time. Having a large utility ship is appealing, but this one just moved to the 'aquire in game' category.
It may be a possible substitute for a Caterpillar, though, if you have one...

The Galaxy's cargo module appears designed to hold 16 of the 32 SCU containers, which the Caterpillar cannot carry, and which the RAFT and Hull C carry externally where they can be easily shot off\"removed". You could also stack smaller SCU containers in that space as well, making it more versatile than the RAFT or Hull C as far as cargo transport.

Of course, we don't know what modules the Caterpillar will have available, or how they will compare to the Galaxy, though, which may have a bearing on whether to go the Galaxy or the Caterpillar route.

Forgot your password?