RSI Galaxy Screenshots and speculation

Garonman

Captain
Oct 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Garonman5
Just bear in mind that long before the Galaxy is released, the Nautilus and Polaris will be in game, and once players figure out how to generate cash with the Polaris, it is going to become the meta for small groups. Best I can tell is it will require 11 players minimum, which is twice the need for the Galaxy, but past that I think it's going to be wildly popular. It can't refine, is a terrible freighter, and only 1 S2 med-bed, but it can kill things and take their treasure. Load me up with Vanduul plasma-lances!
I'll be watching your 6. lets raid these B*******

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
There are a lot of us waiting on the Sons of Orion (SoO) storyline, where we can earn big pesos killing Vanduul cap ships. IMHO, the best case for this is not the Idris, but the Polaris with several (9?) scout ships like the Arrow in its hanger. If we suppose 9 Arrow scouts, used to locate and light up Vanduul cap ship targets from 30 km away from the Polaris, then the optimal Polaris crew is up to about 20 positions, which for daily service probably needs close to 25 players. So the entry bar is pretty high but nothing like crewing an Idris.

By contrast, if you wanted to fly a Lib with 3 Eclipse, 12 Arrows and a MIS, you're looking at 17 positions and probably 20 players. That's not a small step down and still will hopefully yield nice Void Bomber kills. It may become common for SoO Captains to start with the Lib and move to the Polaris as their groups grow.

In thinking about the SoO demands, keep in mind that Vanduul Void Bombers are the smallest of the Vanduul cap ships, similar to the Polaris, but with 3 S10 guns rather than torps. Void Bombers typically fly in pairs, so don't underestimate the demands necessary to offing them. Certainly you won't be able to do this with a single Eclipse.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
You bring up a question that has plagued me for some time. If you use your Lib as a base for whatever, you still need to resupply it somehow. If for example the Lib is supporting a wing of Eclipse, the Eclipse will need their S9torps replaced, so you need to have something flying in with both torps, and fuel.

Does anyone know, does the Star G fit S9 torps in the bay?
The Liberator isn't a base, it is a transport ship. While we don't know the final dimensions, those 400 SCU in the Liberator, should be able to haul Torps.
The Starfarer, in its current configuration appears to have a cargo hold that can haul torps as well.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
one other thing...I am shocked that this vehicle is 350 while the endeavor remains at 350. It would seem to me that the endeavor is a bigger more useful version of this ship and it's modules are cheaper and the ship itself is cheaper. Makes me wonder why the endeavor was not increased in price

Garonman

Captain
Oct 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Garonman5
one other thing...I am shocked that this vehicle is 350 while the endeavor remains at 350. It would seem to me that the endeavor is a bigger more useful version of this ship and it's modules are cheaper and the ship itself is cheaper. Makes me wonder why the endeavor was not increased in price
Seems the Galaxy has more offence capabilities. Plus i don't think many wish to pilot a space train.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Hence why my upgrade chain goes Cat -> Endo -> Galaxy, with a Cat -> Galaxy in reserve; I got options bitches! :D
What I really wonder though, is with the Galaxy w/Medbay module now on the table, where does that leave the poor Apollos?!?
not only that, but the apollo can only have a total of two of each of the following. 3 T3, 2 T2, or 1 T1. So mix and match to 1 T1 and 2 T2, or 1 T1 and 3 T3, or 6 T3, etc. The med bay for this one will have 3 T3, 2 T2, and 1 T1 bed. So I really see this as a better ship for reviving than most other ships out there, with the possible exception of the Endeavor.

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
The base Endeavor is still at $350 because it's had no development since concept. The most positive thing they have said about it in any format is that it needs re-concepting to the metrics that exist in game now.

John Crewe's face is meme-worthy when the Endeavor is brought up; but by the time they get to actually building it most of the required game systems should already be working.

I would say expect the price to go up considerably at launch.. but given that launch is supposed to happen after the game goes Live, I have no idea if there will even be cash ship sales at that point (betting on yes).

Endeavor Master Set is probably the longest gamble you can take in this game, even though a few others are more expensive.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
The base Endeavor is still at $350 because it's had no development since concept. The most positive thing they have said about it in any format is that it needs re-concepting to the metrics that exist in game now.

John Crewe's face is meme-worthy when the Endeavor is brought up; but by the time they get to actually building it most of the required game systems should already be working.

I would say expect the price to go up considerably at launch.. but given that launch is supposed to happen after the game goes Live, I have no idea if there will even be cash ship sales at that point (betting on yes).

Endeavor Master Set is probably the longest gamble you can take in this game, even though a few others are more expensive.
Honestly, Kraken Privateer is the biggest risk IMO. Between the market places, landing areas, hangars, repairs, moving cargo, modular stores, AI requirements, etc., I see just as many moving parts needed for the Privateer as the Endeavor will need and 2x the cost. Sorry, but I think that the Endeavor master class is only the second riskiest ship…

Reactions: Garonman

Brictoria

Vice Admiral
Apr 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Brictoria
hey all, just as an FYI, this ship COULD be a hull limited ship.

"The RSI Galaxy is being offered for the first time as a limited vehicle concept pledge."

So if you want LTI on it, you might consider getting it at concept as a warbond...
I wouldn't read too much into that - All concept ships have that wording at release.

For example, here's the C1 from earlier in the year:
The Crusader C1 Spirit is being offered for the first time as a limited vehicle concept pledge.
Taken from disclaimer at the bottom of https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/18817-Crusader-C1-Spirit

Reactions: Garonman

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
Honestly, Kraken Privateer is the biggest risk IMO. Between the market places, landing areas, hangars, repairs, moving cargo, modular stores, AI requirements, etc., I see just as many moving parts needed for the Privateer as the Endeavor will need and 2x the cost. Sorry, but I think that the Endeavor master class is only the second riskiest ship…
Fair, in terms of risk for money can't disagree. I was more specifically referring to the long time since concept plus the long time till expected arrival.

From the perspective of game engine mechanics though, I'm still going to hold that the Endeavor has the most programming required.
Medical applies across the game so nothing specific needed there; Tier 1 bed UI and related things like cybernetics will be shared with the Galaxy and Apollo.
Overclocking components should be straightforward if touchy crafting, with a side of component gathering difficulty.
The Radiotelescope will probably be the apex of whatever the Long Range Scanning system turns out to be. I've heard conversation by the designers, but not an actual design.
Science though.. the science gameplay will need a lot of depth to be worth the cost of the ship.
And these last two will require Datarunning to be a thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blind Owl

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Nice. I know some folks who wished they bought a Hull E before it went limited, or Pioneer at concept.

now, for those wondering why they should get the Galaxy over the Odyssey.
1) cargo is double the Odyssey’s capability with the cargo module
2) med bay has 1xT1, 2xT2, and 3xT3. This is significantly more than the single 1xT2 med bed the Odyssey has
3) the refining module can (should) be able to refine mostmined raw materials, not just quantanium.

So the Galaxy can do everything the Odyssey can do, but better. But the Odyssey can do it all at the same time.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Given what they've told us about intended direction for space combat, the Galaxy just doesn't feel like it is armed correctly.

It's 3 turrets with 2 size 5's each means the intended weapon use is to strike large ships, but the ship clearly isn't designed for combat.
To defend the ship against fighters and ordinance it needs size 4 weapons.

I also see the Galaxy as more a competitor for the Caterpillar and Retaliator than most ships we currently know about.

Garonman

Captain
Oct 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Garonman5
Given what they've told us about intended direction for space combat, the Galaxy just doesn't feel like it is armed correctly.

It's 3 turrets with 2 size 5's each means the intended weapon use is to strike large ships, but the ship clearly isn't designed for combat.
To defend the ship against fighters and ordinance it needs size 4 weapons.

I also see the Galaxy as more a competitor for the Caterpillar and Retaliator than most ships we currently know about.
Plenty of time to change some aspects of the ship. They will take on board what the players are saying about it and it will be changed before it goes into production. But you make valid points

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
I've never seen them downsize a gun. Upsize, lots, but not downsize.
Agreed.. can't think of any time they've downsized. The memory claims there is one but won't give up the details lol. And as you point out, the Size 5's and up are worthless against smaller ships, especially fighters. The Odyssey shares the same problem with it's weapon configuration.

Yogi has stated in the not-to-distant past that weapons and components will get a much broader spread of characteristics again. The homogenization had the purpose of enabling the Vehicle Experience Team to establish a baseline, but it definitely flattened whatever depth of play had existed before. They have achieved that goal now, so going forward we should see and hear about this being spread out again.

For some of these larger ships to survive, the size 5's are going to need help. Master Modes provides some of that, by capping the speed which small ships can avoid incoming fire. Personally I don't think that will be enough; there will need to be changes to projectile speeds to bring in some balance.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Agreed.. can't think of any time they've downsized. The memory claims there is one but won't give up the details lol. And as you point out, the Size 5's and up are worthless against smaller ships, especially fighters. The Odyssey shares the same problem with it's weapon configuration.

Yogi has stated in the not-to-distant past that weapons and components will get a much broader spread of characteristics again. The homogenization had the purpose of enabling the Vehicle Experience Team to establish a baseline, but it definitely flattened whatever depth of play had existed before. They have achieved that goal now, so going forward we should see and hear about this being spread out again.

For some of these larger ships to survive, the size 5's are going to need help. Master Modes provides some of that, by capping the speed which small ships can avoid incoming fire. Personally I don't think that will be enough; there will need to be changes to projectile speeds to bring in some balance.
But they've also stated that weapons and sizes have specific purposes and the differentiation will be based on role. And the Anti-Fighter/Anti-Ordinance role has been defined as size 4 and under.

Reactions: Blind Owl
Forgot your password?