SC Account Lost/Hijacked :(

Slysi

Admiral
Aug 11, 2015
RSI Handle
Slysi
Hey fellow testies its been a while ! :)

I was watching the Star Citizen live stream tonight and saw some new features in the game updates i thought id check out so i fired up the launcher and tried to sign in but got the following message:

Sign in failed: you many have entered the wrong credentials or the account does not exist, or has not been activated.

Hmm thats odd as I store my account details in Keepass so i know they are correct.

Lets try the RSI website, same issue cant sign in - same message.

Ok lets do the password recovery ... receive the email and it says theres no account associated with my email address - oh crap.

Check my yahoo email and sure enough recent activity shows a whole bunch of activity that wasn't me :(
Yahoo email password reset to very strong password.

Looks like my original account creation email and auth email have also been deleted.
Last email i have from RSI is "Chairman Returns" on the 23 Sept 2016

Luckily I do still have my original payment details as i did that through a separate email address.

Have sent an email detailing the above to [email protected]

Just wondering if you had any further advice.

Reactions: AstroSam

Varku

Space Marshal
Apr 21, 2016
RSI Handle
Varku
Luckily I do still have my original payment details as i did that through a separate email address.
Having the payment information atached to that account should help alot.
CIG should be able to quicly identify and restore your account based on them.

As you're already using a password manager, i would also suggest to use a password generator with it.
By doing so, you minimize the risk of guessing your password or using the same password across multiple platforms.

Also run a full Virus/malware scan on your System, it may be compromised

Slysi

Admiral
Aug 11, 2015
RSI Handle
Slysi
Yahoo's email servers *were* compromised a little while ago.
Yes I think that is what has happened ..... I saw it on the news but thought id moved all of my valuable accounts/information away from the address but SC was still associated with it :(

Thanks guys guess its just a case of waiting for a reply now.

Varku

Space Marshal
Apr 21, 2016
RSI Handle
Varku
About the waiting for reply thing, due to the CitizenCon they may take a decent amount longer to get back to you.
I think you can expect an Answer within 2 weeks

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Feel for you dude, keep us updated as to what goes down.

I hope they keep the fraudsters stolen account live after they have reinstated yours, provide you their handle and port you in to every instance they are in, complete with a complimentary pair of S5's on your ship.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Same thing happened to my PSN account. Luckily I got it back with a phone call. I'm sure CIG will restore all your ships.

Lythan

Vice Admiral
Oct 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Lythan
Unfortunate to hear this. 2-step authentication is the way to go.

A more personal standpoint of mine is to move away from Yahoo Mail completely. I've stopped using it after the recent breach. Yahoo! as a company hasn't been doing so great for a while either.

Though moving away from an email you've used a lot is a pain, in this case I would advise it, along with a good scan for malware, spyware and such!

Or go for the extreme: A clean install of your OS and programs, transferring only minimal data to the clean slate.

In any case, I hope that is the last time you'll have to deal with this sort of thing!

Forgot your password?