SC Interface Failing

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Spacer-Steve, Jul 13, 2018 at 8:53 PM.

1. Spacer-Steve

Spacer-Steve Commander

United States
    RSI Handle:
    Spacer-Steve
    Since 3.2 install, I've experienced gradual key-mapping deterioration. At first, a few keys didn't work but I was able to re-map them. Today I find my character seems to be on auto-walk as soon as I get him out of bed. WASD keys have no effect, nor does the shift key for running. I can still crouch (which will stop the auto-walk effect) and still use the F key for inner-thought.

I've deleted my user folder and relaunched, as well as switching out my keyboard and mouse, but to no avail. I've also dug around in the advanced keybinding settings but nothing jumped out at me as possibly being the culprit.

Any ideas before I try a full reinstall of the game?

Thanks

Vavrik likes this.
  2. Printimus

Printimus Grand Admiral
    Donor

RSI Handle:
    Printimus
    I assume you have set the keybindings all back to default, yes?

Vavrik and Radegast74 like this.
  3. Spacer-Steve

Spacer-Steve Commander

United States
    RSI Handle:
    Spacer-Steve
    I did. Sorry, I forgot to include that.

Vavrik likes this.
  4. marcsand2

marcsand2 Grand Admiral
    Donor

RSI Handle:
    marcsand2
    The game can't help it that certain keybindings don't work, you will end up downloading the same file as the one you delete. Delete your C:\Program Files\Roberts Space Industries\StarCitizen\LIVE\USER folder and empty the C:\Users\[YOUR USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Star Citizen folder.

Bambooza, Vavrik and Radegast74 like this.
  5. Radegast74

Radegast74 Admiral
    Donor

RSI Handle:
    Radegast74
    One more silly thing to check/try, make sure all your inputs are connected directly to the computer, don't use some USB hub.

marcsand2 and Vavrik like this.
  6. Vavrik

Vavrik Vice Admiral
    Donor

RSI Handle:
    Vavrik
    Another silly thing... make sure you haven't bound your on foot controls, to your joystick or controller. The defaults are No, but you can accidentally change them to yes. If this is a thing, it's not the keybindings that cause it, it's the control settings for your Joystick/Hotas. If the on-foot stuff is set to Yes. No idea what that would do, but auto-walking would be a probable symptom.

marcsand2 and Bambooza like this.
  7. Spacer-Steve

Spacer-Steve Commander

United States
    RSI Handle:
    Spacer-Steve
    @Radegast74 - I did have my flight-sticks connected to a hub, disconnected them, reconnected them to the computer, restarted the whole computer, still having the same problem. Good call though. Will probably save me grief later. :slight_smile:

@marcsand2 - I deleted the RSI USER folder in Programs. The other one though, C:\Users\[YOUR USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Star Citizen, I could not find at all. At least one for Star Citizen. One thing, my game folders are on a separate hard drive than that Users folder. (My OS is on C drive). This wasn't a problem before, but.... ?

@Vavrik - I'll definitely investigate what you suggested when I get a chance (Lifejust interrupted).

Thanks guys. :slight_smile:

marcsand2 likes this.
  8. Bambooza

Bambooza Vice Admiral

RSI Handle:
    MrBambooza
    Isin't the PU fun? I spawned in this morning to find another man in my bed, my heart racing at 180 bps and a warning I had no oxygen in my suit, no way to take of my helmet to breath the air in the room and the door wasn't working.

marcsand2 likes this.
  9. BUTUZ

BUTUZ Admiral

RSI Handle:
    BUTUZ
    That's the weekend for ya!

10. Radegast74

Radegast74 Admiral
    Donor

RSI Handle:
    Radegast74
    Oh darn...well, if it's any consolation, I've been having some occasional non-responsiveness as well, which I've been ascribing to network issues. I find I have to press B repeatedly to bring up my Quantum Drive interface & then jump.

Now excuse me, while I go unplug all my stuff from my usb hub, lol. "Take my advice...I'm not using it!" :smile:

11. marcsand2

marcsand2 Grand Admiral
    Donor

RSI Handle:
    marcsand2
    I use a powered 7 port USB hub for my 2 sticks, throttle and rudder pedal to avoid mixing up my controllers. I never had a problem with it, but you are right, a HUB can be a problem.

12. marcsand2

marcsand2 Grand Admiral
    Donor

RSI Handle:
    marcsand2
    Maybe that folder will only be created when SC crashes to the desktop.

upload_2018-7-14_8-45-0.png
    I played yesterday but still date modified for the most files is 07/07/2018

It still can't be a problem.

I'm puzzled, your keybindings are in C:\Program Files\Roberts Space Industries\StarCitizen\LIVE\USER\Profiles\default\actionmaps.xml. If you delete the USER folder, then everything should be default. You could open ingame console: ~ type: pp_rebindkeys and close console again with ~
    That also should reset your keybindings to default

To be sure that no other controller is messing around:
    - disconnect every joystick, throttle, steering wheel, rudder pedals, gamepad from your PC,
    - load default keybindings: Options -> Keybindings -> Advanced controls customization -> control profiles -> reset to defaults
    upload_2018-7-14_9-4-10.png
    - delete every keybinding from gamepad and Joystick / HOTAS by selecting every binding with left mouse button, delete with right mouse button

Radegast74 likes this.
  13. Vavrik

Vavrik Vice Admiral
    Donor

RSI Handle:
    Vavrik
    It's certainly odd, isn't it? Shouldn't tossing the user folder get rid of any keybindings though?

I just remembered a problem that a "gaming laptop" had not all that long ago. If everything is disconnected, and it still happens, check what occurs if you just open notepad and walk away from your computer for 15 or 20 minutes. If it auto-types, you have a bad keyboard encoder, or a motherboard problem. My laptop developed this problem right in the middle of a WOW raid I was tanking, and caused a wipe.

Probably not what's going on here, but you sometimes can't rule out hardware doing funny stuff.

marcsand2 and Radegast74 like this.
  14. Spacer-Steve

Spacer-Steve Commander

United States
    RSI Handle:
    Spacer-Steve
    I ended up going with the nuclear option and doing a full reinstall of the game. Seems to have fixed (or possibly "reset" as it evolved gradually) the problem. Thank you all for the suggestions. :slight_smile:

marcsand2 likes this.