SC Interface Failing

Spacer-Steve

Captain
Apr 19, 2018
RSI Handle
Caspari
Since 3.2 install, I've experienced gradual key-mapping deterioration. At first, a few keys didn't work but I was able to re-map them. Today I find my character seems to be on auto-walk as soon as I get him out of bed. WASD keys have no effect, nor does the shift key for running. I can still crouch (which will stop the auto-walk effect) and still use the F key for inner-thought.

I've deleted my user folder and relaunched, as well as switching out my keyboard and mouse, but to no avail. I've also dug around in the advanced keybinding settings but nothing jumped out at me as possibly being the culprit.

Any ideas before I try a full reinstall of the game?

Thanks

Reactions: Vavrik

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Since 3.2 install, I've experienced gradual key-mapping deterioration. At first, a few keys didn't work but I was able to re-map them. Today I find my character seems to be on auto-walk as soon as I get him out of bed. WASD keys have no effect, nor does the shift key for running. I can still crouch (which will stop the auto-walk effect) and still use the F key for inner-thought.

I've deleted my user folder and relaunched, as well as switching out my keyboard and mouse, but to no avail. I've also dug around in the advanced keybinding settings but nothing jumped out at me as possibly being the culprit.

Thanks
I assume you have set the keybindings all back to default, yes?

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
The game can't help it that certain keybindings don't work, you will end up downloading the same file as the one you delete. Delete your C:\Program Files\Roberts Space Industries\StarCitizen\LIVE\USER folder and empty the C:\Users\[YOUR USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Star Citizen folder.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Another silly thing... make sure you haven't bound your on foot controls, to your joystick or controller. The defaults are No, but you can accidentally change them to yes. If this is a thing, it's not the keybindings that cause it, it's the control settings for your Joystick/Hotas. If the on-foot stuff is set to Yes. No idea what that would do, but auto-walking would be a probable symptom.

Spacer-Steve

Captain
Apr 19, 2018
RSI Handle
Caspari
@Radegast74 - I did have my flight-sticks connected to a hub, disconnected them, reconnected them to the computer, restarted the whole computer, still having the same problem. Good call though. Will probably save me grief later. :slight_smile:

@marcsand2 - I deleted the RSI USER folder in Programs. The other one though, C:\Users\[YOUR USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Star Citizen, I could not find at all. At least one for Star Citizen. One thing, my game folders are on a separate hard drive than that Users folder. (My OS is on C drive). This wasn't a problem before, but.... ?

@Vavrik - I'll definitely investigate what you suggested when I get a chance (Lifejust interrupted).

Thanks guys. :slight_smile:

Reactions: marcsand2

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza

Thanks
Isin't the PU fun? I spawned in this morning to find another man in my bed, my heart racing at 180 bps and a warning I had no oxygen in my suit, no way to take of my helmet to breath the air in the room and the door wasn't working.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Isin't the PU fun? I spawned in this morning to find another man in my bed, my heart racing at 180 bps and a warning I had no oxygen in my suit, no way to take of my helmet to breath the air in the room and the door wasn't working.
That's the weekend for ya!

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
@Radegast74 - I did have my flight-sticks connected to a hub, disconnected them, reconnected them to the computer, restarted the whole computer, still having the same problem. Good call though. Will probably save me grief later. :slight_smile:
Oh darn...well, if it's any consolation, I've been having some occasional non-responsiveness as well, which I've been ascribing to network issues. I find I have to press B repeatedly to bring up my Quantum Drive interface & then jump.

Now excuse me, while I go unplug all my stuff from my usb hub, lol. "Take my advice...I'm not using it!" :D

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
One more silly thing to check/try, make sure all your inputs are connected directly to the computer, don't use some USB hub.
I use a powered 7 port USB hub for my 2 sticks, throttle and rudder pedal to avoid mixing up my controllers. I never had a problem with it, but you are right, a HUB can be a problem.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
The other one though, C:\Users\[YOUR USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Star Citizen, I could not find at all. At least one for Star Citizen.
Maybe that folder will only be created when SC crashes to the desktop.

upload_2018-7-14_8-45-0.png

I played yesterday but still date modified for the most files is 07/07/2018

One thing, my game folders are on a separate hard drive than that Users folder. (My OS is on C drive). This wasn't a problem before, but.... ?
It still can't be a problem.

I'm puzzled, your keybindings are in C:\Program Files\Roberts Space Industries\StarCitizen\LIVE\USER\Profiles\default\actionmaps.xml. If you delete the USER folder, then everything should be default. You could open ingame console: ~ type: pp_rebindkeys and close console again with ~
That also should reset your keybindings to default

To be sure that no other controller is messing around:
- disconnect every joystick, throttle, steering wheel, rudder pedals, gamepad from your PC,
- load default keybindings: Options -> Keybindings -> Advanced controls customization -> control profiles -> reset to defaults
upload_2018-7-14_9-4-10.png

- delete every keybinding from gamepad and Joystick / HOTAS by selecting every binding with left mouse button, delete with right mouse button

Reactions: Radegast74

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
It's certainly odd, isn't it? Shouldn't tossing the user folder get rid of any keybindings though?

I just remembered a problem that a "gaming laptop" had not all that long ago. If everything is disconnected, and it still happens, check what occurs if you just open notepad and walk away from your computer for 15 or 20 minutes. If it auto-types, you have a bad keyboard encoder, or a motherboard problem. My laptop developed this problem right in the middle of a WOW raid I was tanking, and caused a wipe.

Probably not what's going on here, but you sometimes can't rule out hardware doing funny stuff.

Spacer-Steve

Captain
Apr 19, 2018
RSI Handle
Caspari
I ended up going with the nuclear option and doing a full reinstall of the game. Seems to have fixed (or possibly "reset" as it evolved gradually) the problem. Thank you all for the suggestions. :)

Forgot your password?