Semi silly side question

Dawnshie

Commander
Jul 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Dawnshie
** on moble phone atm please excuse bad grammar,spelling,and punz.**

Ok, since reading reddit sc posts. i came to find out that 2.5 is with the avocados atm. https://m.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4v4tud/25_in_ptu_what_did_i_miss/

it got me thinking. I know bad idea.

but. using real math
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/relativ/relmom.html

and following my scatter-brain this morning. here is da big question.

Q. If you could accelerate said avocado to fractional c velocity. could you use it as a wepon?

Yes this is just an idea. but hmmm railgun + cans of food +frac C= OMGWTFBBQ Damage. i could see a REVOLUTION in wepons we could use.

anyone else?

<insert obious space balls refference here>

dawnshie and my tin foil beenie singing off

DarthMatter

Space Marshal
Jul 18, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMatter
Accelerating anything to a noticeable fraction of c=3*10^8 can be used as a weapon. Squishy things like the eatable part of an avocado or liquids will probably not be really effective against armored targets, but would destroy things like solar panels. The can of canned food or the kernel(?) of a avocado would work fine!

Phantomoftruth

Space Marshal
Feb 14, 2016
RSI Handle
PhantomofTruth
Accelerating anything to a noticeable fraction of c=3*10^8 can be used as a weapon. Squishy things like the eatable part of an avocado or liquids will probably not be really effective against armored targets, but would destroy things like solar panels. The can of canned food or the kernel(?) of a avocado would work fine!
I agree with the first sentence. Fluids impact value will change with distance given volume expansion, the difference between a water jet cutter and a firehose or water cannon. energy remains the same, area of impact changes, and so changes penetration value. secondary effects of scattered fluids post impact may cause additional damage.

DarthMatter

Space Marshal
Jul 18, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMatter
Fluids impact value will change with distance given volume expansion, the difference between a water jet cutter and a firehose or water cannon
That was kinda what I was going for. I figured that water might divide into droplets instead of a big blob and thereby act more like a shotgun than a canon.

Phantomoftruth

Space Marshal
Feb 14, 2016
RSI Handle
PhantomofTruth
That was kinda what I was going for. I figured that water might divide into droplets instead of a big blob and thereby act more like a shotgun than a canon.
that all depends on the nozzle. Like a garden sprayer, you have a rather interesting combination of both a solid core, like a giant icicle, and a cloud of ice bullets.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
If we assume the avocado is in a can to make it magnetic to work with a rail gun, can the tin-can withstand the forces of going from 0 to fraction of c=3*10^8 in a matter of moments without being totally obliterated itself?

The ammo needs to be able to survive the energy put in to it, to be able to transfer that energy in to the target...

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
So how long would the barrel have to be? If it turns out the only ship capable of mounting one of these is a Bengal, the tube running the whole length of the ship, the manufacturing process may outweigh the benefit of plentiful ammunition.

I can imagine it now, a freshly built Bengal just about to roll out the dock with this new super-weapon installed, the deadliest 1 hit ship in existence, no shield can defend you, no amount of armour can stand in its volleys way, but the weapon sits useless until the local grocery store delivers that 1000CU of tinned avocado the Dock Operator had ordered last minute to ensure the ammo has the longest shelf life...

DarthMatter

Space Marshal
Jul 18, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMatter
So how long would the barrel have to be? If it turns out the only ship capable of mounting one of these is a Bengal, the tube running the whole length of the ship, the manufacturing process may outweigh the benefit of plentiful ammunition.
I you read the title you will see that this is already on the semi-silly-side of logic. The question was about if it was possible to use avocado as ammo, not if it was a good idea :)

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I you read the title you will see that this is already on the semi-silly-side of logic. The question was about if it was possible to use avocado as ammo, not if it was a good idea :)
In that case, lets get rid of the tin and use the avocado itself. I did some research because i am annoying like that, and have found the following phenomenon:

Sir, your Avocado indeed has the potential to be militarised using Diamagnetism!

http://www.physics.org/facts/frog-really.asp

Forgot your password?