Ship sale - Mercury Star Runner (Aug 23)

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
*(i couldnt find a more appropriate thread and wasnt going to make a new one just for this)*

So, I just realized this the other day. I might be a little late, but the mercury seems to be modeled after the Boeing E-6 Mercury, but possibly the EC-130Q that preceded it. I was an electronic warfare technician in the USAF, i worked mainly on AC-130's and the other special ops 130's. That EC-130 is like the pinnacle of what I could do in my position. I say it might be more so the EC-130Q because its crusader (atmospheric focused manufacturer). However, since the E-6 is a navy craft, it might be the EC-130C from the air force they took their inspiration from. They do a bit of research into military craft while they are concepting ships, and I think this is the case for the mercury. They obviously have a thing for the 130's, and rightfully so.

Im not sure how their role transfers into SC, but an EC-130 is capable of jamming damn near everything. Some EC-130's can shut down entire cities communications, broadcast to the local area (psychological warfare and the like) and It also has space for some cargo. Oh, and it can also pick up damn near every comm frequency in the area. I REALLY hope it has EWAR capabilities (not an EMP) because oh man, the fun you could have in one. I want to jam / manipulate radars and comms or something and I hope the EWAR mechanics like this end up in game and this ship fills that role. Woo!

Heres some info on the IRL mercury:
Boeing E-6 Mercury

I highly suggest reading through this as well, its really interesting to see what our electronic warfare craft can do:
Lockheed EC-130

Also if you care to see the similarities in the A2 and the AC-130's its kinda neat. like, I really miss working on them, it was hard but satisfying (ayo!)
Lockheed AC-130

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
*(i couldnt find a more appropriate thread and wasnt going to make a new one just for this)*

So, I just realized this the other day. I might be a little late, but the mercury seems to be modeled after the Boeing E-6 Mercury, but possibly the EC-130Q that preceded it. I was an electronic warfare technician in the USAF, i worked mainly on AC-130's and the other special ops 130's. That EC-130 is like the pinnacle of what I could do in my position. I say it might be more so the EC-130Q because its crusader (atmospheric focused manufacturer). However, since the E-6 is a navy craft, it might be the EC-130C from the air force they took their inspiration from. They do a bit of research into military craft while they are concepting ships, and I think this is the case for the mercury. They obviously have a thing for the 130's, and rightfully so.

Im not sure how their role transfers into SC, but an EC-130 is capable of jamming damn near everything. Some EC-130's can shut down entire cities communications, broadcast to the local area (psychological warfare and the like) and It also has space for some cargo. Oh, and it can also pick up damn near every comm frequency in the area. I REALLY hope it has EWAR capabilities (not an EMP) because oh man, the fun you could have in one. I want to jam / manipulate radars and comms or something and I hope the EWAR mechanics like this end up in game and this ship fills that role. Woo!

Heres some info on the IRL mercury:
Boeing E-6 Mercury

I highly suggest reading through this as well, its really interesting to see what our electronic warfare craft can do:
Lockheed EC-130

Also if you care to see the similarities in the A2 and the AC-130's its kinda neat. like, I really miss working on them, it was hard but satisfying (ayo!)
Lockheed AC-130
This is why I have the Sentinel and the Mercury.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
From the Q&A the Mercury doesn't have the E-WAR suite that the Herald and Sentinel do, but can still hack things?
Mentioned in the design notes for Electronic Warfare, the Drake Herald will have a dedicated e-war suite. Will the Mercury follow this data-running trend and also have e-war capabilities?

Having a dedicated e-war suite was not part of the original design for the ship and at this time is not being considered for addition, instead leaving the functionality on other ships such as the Herald and Sentinel. However, a dedicated e-war suite is not a requirement for data hacking.

The old but apparently still planned Electronic Warfare comm-link lists future additions like Data-Spike missiles, hacking arrays, "aggressive avionics modules", and some "special equipment" to store, encrypt and decrypt data.

Looks like they don't plan on making the Mercury an E-War ship, which is a shame. I have a Herald for that but the Mercury would be a higher risk/reward with its oodles of computing power but is also a much bigger and muuuuuuuuuch slower target than the Herald.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I've got a Mercury, but mainly for the Cargos.

If the on board computers can do cool stuffs (tm) then that will be a big gameplay bonus for me!

I don't mind shifting some boxes from A to B, as is my calling in life, but if TEST calls upon me to jam an entire city's communications and broadcast test is best over and over again until the citizens go mad (or drink themselves to death) then that is what I SHALL do!

marctek

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 7, 2015
RSI Handle
Marctek
I'm excited for this ship. I'm hoping with the local scanning they add chatter in port areas that you can intercept that would possibly kick off some type of mission. It would add some variety while hauling cargo.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
From the Q&A the Mercury doesn't have the E-WAR suite that the Herald and Sentinel do, but can still hack things?

The old but apparently still planned Electronic Warfare comm-link lists future additions like Data-Spike missiles, hacking arrays, "aggressive avionics modules", and some "special equipment" to store, encrypt and decrypt data.

Looks like they don't plan on making the Mercury an E-War ship, which is a shame. I have a Herald for that but the Mercury would be a higher risk/reward with its oodles of computing power but is also a much bigger and muuuuuuuuuch slower target than the Herald.
Even after rereading the Q&A, the Merc is still my ship. Love her. Sentinel for EWAR, Merc for smuggling/data running
I do love the entire concept of
Still waiting for this ship.
Yup.

Forgot your password?