Shopping URLs?

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
There are suddenly words within posts, randomly it seems, connected with some URLs which are not content related but always leading to amazon. Is that because of not reaching the donation goals? I would then ask the community to donate one Dollar per user per month for furtheron being free of advertising and shit. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Reactions: Blind Owl

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
I am not getting anything like this. could it be something on your system Sam?

Reactions: AstroSam

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
What kind of websites have you been browsing, Sam? *wink

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
Thats my business laptop of my employer - I'm having no administration rights on that...!?

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
Reactions: Blind Owl

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
No - here at home I'm having the same issue. Take this post for instance: https://testsquadron.com/threads/sams-happy-hour-gmt-1-daily-work-coffee-bar.6820/page-147#post-150312

The word "shure" is linked with an amazon URL - am I the only one...?
[edit] The word "amazon" also is automatically changed into a link. And everytime it says "shopping link added by Skimlink".
[edit2]Even in my private messages I'm having those "Skimlinks". And as I said, on my business laptop as well as at home...
You need to send me your RSI password, your credit card number and your home address and I'll fix it for you. :slight_smile:
No, really, it's fine for everyone else, so you must have gotten infected with malware. Scan your computer with an antivirus software?

Croswell

Space Marshal
Mar 12, 2014
RSI Handle
Croswell
Yea, that is on your end man. Not seeing it. I've got uBlock Origin installed though. It is possible that it is knocking them out on my end, but I disabled it and still didn't see it.

I agree with the above, run a malware scan. Just to be safe.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
No - here at home I'm having the same issue. Take this post for instance: https://testsquadron.com/threads/sams-happy-hour-gmt-1-daily-work-coffee-bar.6820/page-147#post-150312

The word "shure" is linked with an amazon URL - am I the only one...?
[edit] The word "amazon" also is automatically changed into a link. And everytime it says "shopping link added by Skimlink".
[edit2]Even in my private messages I'm having those "Skimlinks". And as I said, on my business laptop as well as at home...
Yeap, no link.

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
The strange thing about it is: on my business laptop I'm running Firefox. Here at home on my private PC I'm surfing with Chrome. Thus two different computers with different browsers - but probably the same malware? Can't really be, can it? I just took a look into the chrome apps, but noticed nothing special in there. Erased all temp files, cookies etc. Now those strange links are gone. And yes, for sure I'm having installed a Antivirus prog as well as a malware protection program - always!
I don't understand it. I'm currently doing a search by SpyBot S&D. Curious if it'll find something...

Reactions: supitza

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
Okay, got it: Antivir, which I just activated additionally to Avast, just reported that it blocked two trackers - by the homepage testsquadron.com!

Thus, it seems to be a "problem"(?) of the homepage, not of my computers (which, as I said, can't be because on my business laptop nothing can be installed, no app, plugin or else, not even java can be started).

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
Okay, got it: Antivir, which I just activated additionally to Avast, just reported that it blocked two trackers - by the homepage testsquadron.com!

Thus, it seems to be a "problem"(?) of the homepage, not of my computers (which, as I said, can't be because on my business laptop nothing can be installed, no app, plugin or else, not even java can be started).
See, the beergoggles of truth have revealed your problem.
uhhh, errr..... I mean the tea leaves of clairvoyance. for you.

glad you caught the issue

DeepDrum

Captain
Jun 27, 2016
RSI Handle
DeepDrum
Pinterest or one of 20,000 others using Skimlinks may have caused it....this time.
It's pretty typical stuff these days.
Skimlinks makes products that sort of activate just on a click on a web page. (Javascript snippet) (not like it's something new). They have 4 products.
The worrisome part is it's in use a lot. "Skimwords" also takes the spoken word and other things and uses that info.
It's just another form of target marketing. Awfully intrusive and quite profitable for web page owners and companies thereof.

Check out the Wiki link. It's worth a read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skimlinks

The bottom line is, nothing is sacred and there is NO privacy on the net.

From wiki:
"In 2014, Skimlinks drove $625 million in sales for over 20,000 vendors".

"In February 2012, LL Social, an online marketing blog, broke the news that Pinterest was using Skimlinks to monetize content posted by its users"

Believe me "target marketing" , "Data Mining" and Greed are real and quite huge in the internet world. Behave accordingly.

Takran

Admiral
Feb 8, 2016
RSI Handle
TakranG
Yeah. I use Chrome with uBlock Origin and Ghostery and have Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit always running. I just use Windows Defender now in Windows 10 for anti-virus, with the other protections in place I really don't need anything more advanced (and Defender ain't too bad these days). It's been years since I've had a virus or malware infection.

Forgot your password?