So, 3.0 live release just bumped to September...

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
oh my you are optimistic :smile:

I expect Half Life 3 being released before Star Citizen XD
I better be optimistic because if I feel it goes any longer I will ask for a refund and cancel my sub :P I am already considering it 2 years of subs and does not seem like we are any closer to a final product is very frustrating, the end date just keeps extending itself it seems.

Vogonjeltz

Vice Admiral
Jul 22, 2017
RSI Handle
Vogonjeltz
Still dont understand why everyone gets butt hurt after hearing the same news. Like, it'll come out when its good and good damned ready to.
Exactly :slight_smile: I would care about the SC delay more, but I remember why I became a backer. I want a no producer DLC game, though the LTI was good bait. I also have a mental problem where I play Unfinished games. In fact, every game I'm playing right now is "in development" lol I have a problem. My top 4 -

-Black mesa (unfinished)
-Subnautica (unfinished)
-SC (Very unfinished)
-theHunter: Call of the Wild (unfinished)
Bonus item
-Bro Force.

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
Still dont understand why everyone gets butt hurt after hearing the same news. Like, it'll come out when its good and good damned ready to.
I think the issue is not impatience, it is the fact that Chris Roberts told everyone LAST YEAR that 3.0 would be out in December 2016. There is no conceivable excuse for being that out of touch with your product. It is far more likely that he was simply lying about it and attempting to utilize the hype generated to make more sales. Lies are what get under my skin; not slipping deadlines.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
I think the issue is not impatience, it is the fact that Chris Roberts told everyone LAST YEAR that 3.0 would be out in December 2016. There is no conceivable excuse for being that out of touch with your product. It is far more likely that he was simply lying about it and attempting to utilize the hype generated to make more sales. Lies are what get under my skin; not slipping deadlines.
I dont think he was intentionally lying about it. Things change and more goals get meshed into the mix. Shit like this happens when making or fixing anything in life.

BlackWolff

Commander
Jul 17, 2017
RSI Handle
BlackWolff
I dont think he was intentionally lying about it. Things change and more goals get meshed into the mix. Shit like this happens when making or fixing anything in life.
I think the hardest part to understand for people is the process of making games. When a game is being developed by, let's say EA Games, they are given a strict deadline to compete the game by. The developers then get to work and have all these great ideas that they want to implement in the game which need new systems invented for, however, unforeseen complications will arise. The developers will be faced with having to cut certain features out of the game, sometimes massive amounts of the game because it would have pushed them past the deadline.

Why I am saying all this is because, LUCKILY, RSI does not have this problem. Because we are backing them instead of a massive company, they can make the game how it is intended to be. The price of that is us having to wait longer. In my opinion, that is a tiny price to pay for a game which will satisfy all of our childhood dreams.

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
People give him too much benefit of the doubt. If we want this project to stay honest and avoid becoming over-bloated, it is our duty to hold the developer accountable for their 'pitches'; especially when they stand to profit from misleading the backers. ~3 months late and a little slimmer on features than initially discussed, I can understand. What I refuse to turn a deaf fanboy ear to is ~8 month delay with WAY fewer features than blabbed about at last year's GamesCom (As if they were right around the corner). He lied. Straight up. If they had said nothing about December and simply said that those were their goals for the next year; I would not be upset at all. The LIE is what upsets me. It's bad form and does not speak well of their future business practices. And I understand the development process just fine. I also understand the pitfalls of over-promising and under-delivering. Tends to get folks sacked in most cases. Sure helps if your name is on the side of the building tho....

Welp, back to Sudoku on the shitter.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Unfortunately this demonstrates poor management. :( You don't push the deadline past a major event, like Gamescon, you change the scope.
CIG are not in this to simply make the game, they are in this to make the game right.

Who is GamesCon an event for? Games being launched this year or next year, or games in Alpha that have not even gone to Beta yet? Potentially, they do not even need to attend any GamesCons at all until they have somthing close to a product they can put on a shelf...

The whole point of this crowd funding success is to remove themselves from the grind-stone of traditional game development and make somthing no one else is capable of, because of exactly what you said - it looks like it'll take a while, the moneymen pull back on the reins and we get another No Mans Sky. I'm sure you'd take 3.0 coming next month instead of this month if it means we do not end up with a wreck of a game like that.

Last edited:

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
CIG are not in this to simply make the game, they are in this to make the game right.

Who is GamesCon an event for? Games being launched this year or next year, or games in Alpha that have not even gone to Beta yet? Potentially, they do not even need to attend any GamesCons at all until they have somthing close to a product they can put on a shelf...

The whole point of this crowd funding success is to remove themselves from the grind-stone of traditional game development and make somthing no one else is capable of, because of exactly what you said - it looks like it'll take a while, the moneymen pull back on the reins and we get another No Mans Sky. I'm sure you'd take 3.0 coming next month instead of this month if it means we do not end up with a wreck of a game like that.
This is feature creep and poor management. You don't miss major release dates for polish. You roll back what isn't ready, which is why you have code repositories, and release. Then you release the next build when it is ready, which should be soon after. They do not release often enough for Alpha Software.

To "do it right" requires more iterations, more testing, and not missing deadlines.

Traditional game development doesn't do public Alphas. Even their beta's are limited. With Crowd funding you have more people to answer to, not less.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
I think the hardest part to understand for people is the process of making games. When a game is being developed by, let's say EA Games, they are given a strict deadline to compete the game by. The developers then get to work and have all these great ideas that they want to implement in the game which need new systems invented for, however, unforeseen complications will arise. The developers will be faced with having to cut certain features out of the game, sometimes massive amounts of the game because it would have pushed them past the deadline.

Why I am saying all this is because, LUCKILY, RSI does not have this problem. Because we are backing them instead of a massive company, they can make the game how it is intended to be. The price of that is us having to wait longer. In my opinion, that is a tiny price to pay for a game which will satisfy all of our childhood dreams.
Remember, this is a deadline they set, missed, reset, missed and reset.

Nobody forced them to set these deadlines.
Nobody forced them to keep adding features to try to get them into 3.0, right up until the original Evocati release date, and they are still adding features. That is feature creep taken to the extreme.

Forgot your password?