So, what can we postulate about the Mercury?

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I speculate that there will be at least 1 player who will be going around the Verse claiming to be smuggling "revenge pron" on his data servers. (In actuality, it will be images of each of their former ships that they've wrecked / properly TEST landed.)
In 900 years no one is going to be interested in pron, revenge or otherwise.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

Zookajoe

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 6, 2016
RSI Handle
Zookajoe
Question for those of you that like Asymmetrical ship designs, can you please help me understand what you find so appealing about them? I just don't get it.
I appreciate them when it shows a "function over form" aspect. Just having some kind of fairing on something, taking up space, simply because it "looks better" that way, seems frivolous and a tad tacky.

Case in point: Mustang Delta. There is no need for the large "wasted space" behind the cockpit if it is not performing some function, structurally or otherwise. For the Alpha, that is cargo space. For the Beta, it is the living quarters. For the Gamma and Omega, it is an extra engine. For the Delta, there is no reason for that wasted space.

Now, if you made it something that rocket pods snapped out of when armed, I could see the use for that space. As it is, it is just window dressing.
(I understand that from a developer point of view, it is easier to make them all similar in form, design-wise).

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I appreciated the joke and enjoyed it. :slight_smile: I appear to be suffering from a bout of Anti-Fun.
Ok @NaffNaffBobFace , I'm glad that you did get the joke. If I lived somewhere near you, I'd do my best to trump that bout of Anti-fun by offering you a beer or a bottle of wine to share with the bride.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I appreciate them when it shows a "function over form" aspect. Just having some kind of fairing on something, taking up space, simply because it "looks better" that way, seems frivolous and a tad tacky.

Case in point: Mustang Delta. There is no need for the large "wasted space" behind the cockpit if it is not performing some function, structurally or otherwise. For the Alpha, that is cargo space. For the Beta, it is the living quarters. For the Gamma and Omega, it is an extra engine. For the Delta, there is no reason for that wasted space.

Now, if you made it something that rocket pods snapped out of when armed, I could see the use for that space. As it is, it is just window dressing.
(I understand that from a developer point of view, it is easier to make them all similar in form, design-wise).
Ok & thanks. Now that makes a lot of sense my friend. That being said, in the case of the Delta, I'd do 2 things possibly different with it while leaving the shape the same overall. Either :

1) Shift the guns outward to where the rocket pods are on the wings presently & where they are install a rocket bay similar to that of the Freelancer MIS with that currently wasted space holding additional rockets as well as a restocking feature.

OR

2) Fill that wasted gap by upgrading the size of the power supply, cooler & shield generator to enhance its survive-ability factor since it is the military version.

Zookajoe

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 6, 2016
RSI Handle
Zookajoe
Ok & thanks. Now that makes a lot of sense my friend. That being said, in the case of the Delta, I'd do 2 things possibly different with it while leaving the shape the same overall. Either :

1) Shift the guns outward to where the rocket pods are on the wings presently & where they are install a rocket bay similar to that of the Freelancer MIS with that currently wasted space holding additional rockets as well as a restocking feature.

OR

2) Fill that wasted gap by upgrading the size of the power supply, cooler & shield generator to enhance its survive-ability factor since it is the military version.
I was thinking along the lines of the second option also, but I must admit, the first option you listed is VERY intriguing. A magazine type feeder system for the rocket pods...Brilliant!

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I am annoyed that once more they are saying more than a single thing about the appointments, especially weapons, from the first appearance on the web. This just can't be by mistake, that it keeps happening. It looks like they want people excited enough to buy, but then want to be able to say, "well no, it only has this or that" afterward. Pisses me off we can't trust anything they say at concept sales.

That said, the turrets should be 2XS3. The missiles are listed as S1, which is NOT enough for a bird this size. Should be 4X S3. The gimbles look like only S3 if you go fixed. That's not good in a bird this size. I give a fail to the weapons package. S3 all around should be standard for any ship this size intended for dangerous work. Now if you could swap the quad S3's from the Hurricane into these turrets. . .that would be sweet.

This is definitely the closest thing to the Millennium Falcon to date. I love the layout and size. I'm surprised it is cheaper than a Sentinel and think the standard equipment must all be garbage you would replace. So you're really paying for pipes and layout, and any time it gets all blowed up, will be spendy to replace. That's okay.

I want to know what you can put in place of all those servers and what else this can be tasked for. Can you put a full EM Warfare suite into that area? Is there life support enough to put a half dozen marines for a boarding party? Can you mount an EMP generator? Also, I want to know what the pipeline offers. It comes with two M powerplants. If you swap out the lasers for ballistic, and power down the shields, can you run this bird on just a single, small stealth powerplant like in the Eclipse and keep a second M reactor for when you need the shields? If you put Void Armor on this what do you get for full footprint? Looks like a smallish CRS for a bird this size--could make a great stealth infiltration craft.

Max Crew 3 persons is just weak. Very disappointing. So you can't man the sensor suit and both manned turrets at the same time? How does that make sense? This ought to be Crew 1-5 at the least.

I love the bird, just not any of what they say about it. Count me all grumbly. This wants to be the kind of ship I have looked for since day one and yet, seems they nerfed the hell out of it. IN their never ending task to make all ships narrow use, they have again refused to give us what we need to know to really custom what they offer, and this is getting really old. The appeal of the game is build your own custom ship, so why don't they ever tell us what we can custom?

Last edited:
Reactions: Talonsbane
Forgot your password?