So...what y'all do for a living?

zeddie

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Test-Dummy
I have one of the least interesting jobs posted here...

Sales/Rental Coordinator.

Our company is a re-seller of environmental measuring equipment (water/soil/weather/etc) and we also have 2 other departments en Geotechnical/Materials Testing and Instrumentation.

What I do basically is to get on top of all the Purchase Orders and Client Sales Orders, and coordinate shipments, etc. We also just started a rental department so I'm organizing that as well.

D3Mark

Grand Admiral
Sep 24, 2014
RSI Handle
D3Mark
AHAHAHAHAHHA I'm a student =.=' currently pursuing a bachelors in history.

I work as a SysAdmin in downtown DC for THE MAN.
I grew up in Alexandira.

deathstrike

Vice Admiral
Donor
May 8, 2014
RSI Handle
deathstrike
My title is something like Computational Research Analyst, I setup/run research tools on high performance clusters for academic researchers and do a bunch of other things: automate workflows, Java EE site architecture, random other stuff. Work in a CS dept at a University, will have a BS in CompSci this winter, probably going to work on a masters after that.

Snowianth

Grand Admiral
Oct 13, 2014
RSI Handle
Snowianth
I´m working as electrician in company which makes mining industry vehicles/machines. It´s nice job where every day is different..... new problems every day :D since every vehicle is hand build by customers own specs, but that makes the job interesting and beats sitting at comp all day.....have tried that to :)

CaptainRichard

Stream Meister
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Sep 29, 2014
RSI Handle
CaptainRichard
I grew up in Alexandira.
Small world. Years back, I lived on Lockheed Blvd. off Route 1 close to the beltway if you're familiar. It was nice living right next to a 7-11, but the MS-13 shitbags that kept robbing people's cars made it less livable. I stayed there until 2006 or so, then moved to Arlington, then later, DC.

UbEcLoWn

Space Marshal
Jun 13, 2014
RSI Handle
UbEcLoWn
I'm a broadcast engineer. I've been working in Radio and TV for years. Started in Sacramento..ended up in Denver for 1 1/2 years and now I'm in LA working at our corporate studios. Basically it's my responsibility to build out and maintain our radio studios. I've done on air work but settled on being the guy behind the scenes making sure things work.

Rainshine

Captain
Donor
Nov 13, 2014
RSI Handle
RainingLight
Glad to see so many other service members! I'm a US Marine, I work in Intelligence(kek...military intelligence...) over here on Okinawa, Japan. Got less than 2 years left on my current contract.

ghost53574

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2014
RSI Handle
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/citizens/xgh0st
I work at McDonald's because in California you need a degree and a CompTIA A+ degree to get hired as an entry level service technician or help-desk/technical support dip-shit. Even after getting multiple certifications and trying to finish my junior college work to get to an University I still cannot get any job computer related. This is after searching far and wide for years, GG.

What I do when I am not a slave to fucked up society is research in computer science practical applications and theoretical design, hence coding, cracking, almost hacking, and pure evil fun.

Fuck you world

IronWolf

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2014
RSI Handle
IronWolf or Rockerdude1802
I work at McDonald's because in California you need a degree and a CompTIA A+ degree to get hired as an entry level service technician or help-desk/technical support dip-shit. Even after getting multiple certifications and trying to finish my junior college work to get to an University I still cannot get any job computer related. This is after searching far and wide for years, GG.

What I do when I am not a slave to fucked up society is research in computer science practical applications and theoretical design, hence coding, cracking, almost hacking, and pure evil fun.

Fuck you world
The road may be long to get where you want to get but once there life will get easyer so keep your chin up!

ghost53574

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2014
RSI Handle
The road may be long to get where you want to get but once there life will get easyer so keep your chin up!
When you live by yourself by choice, work at McDonald's, and cannot finish junior college because I simple cannot afford it (because of rent, food), you kind of wonder if life will get any better. I do not have the luxury that I once had because I was too blind to see the opportunities before me, society has made life so seemingly easy otherwise that the only way to wake up from this fantasy was to kick myself out of my parents care. I do have hope but I also am being harshly realistic.

For everything that I have gone through already, the simple patterns that I have observed and experienced dealing with other employers (for example) have left me wondering if I should have just done what 'other' people have suggested to get hired someplace. Just because of morals however I have never lied during an interview and always answered to every interview question honestly. Has that gotten me anywhere?

My father tells me the same, that I need to put in the hard labor since I've chosen this path but do I really. All I want is to intern for a company working either as a network technician assistant or a technical support representative. I am quantified and know enough to work both positions and if I could start today working for nothing I would, I still have my McDonald's job. But will anyone ever help me or anyone like me, no.

Fuck society, I do not want to work at McDonald's for more years or get another job selling meaningless crap to people that make way more than I do not even knowing how to use correct type/font or anything simply simple. All I wanted to do was to wake up from my fucking fantasy living with well-off parents, and now I can't even get help from people.

Fuck society.

Rainshine

Captain
Donor
Nov 13, 2014
RSI Handle
RainingLight
When you live by yourself by choice, work at McDonald's, and cannot finish junior college because I simple cannot afford it (because of rent, food), you kind of wonder if life will get any better. I do not have the luxury that I once had because I was too blind to see the opportunities before me, society has made life so seemingly easy otherwise that the only way to wake up from this fantasy was to kick myself out of my parents care. I do have hope but I also am being harshly realistic.

For everything that I have gone through already, the simple patterns that I have observed and experienced dealing with other employers (for example) have left me wondering if I should have just done what 'other' people have suggested to get hired someplace. Just because of morals however I have never lied during an interview and always answered to every interview question honestly. Has that gotten me anywhere?

My father tells me the same, that I need to put in the hard labor since I've chosen this path but do I really. All I want is to intern for a company working either as a network technician assistant or a technical support representative. I am quantified and know enough to work both positions and if I could start today working for nothing I would, I still have my McDonald's job. But will anyone ever help me or anyone like me, no.

Fuck society, I do not want to work at McDonald's for more years or get another job selling meaningless crap to people that make way more than I do not even knowing how to use correct type/font or anything simply simple. All I wanted to do was to wake up from my fucking fantasy living with well-off parents, and now I can't even get help from people.

Fuck society.
Yep, it's hard.

I would definitely recommend getting a Cisco cert or two. If you have a deep background in networking and IA, you should be able to get yourself a CCNA fairly easily. Maybe add in Security+ or Network+, A+ isn't bad either, and you've got a great resume for entry level IT.

In my unit, we are expect to complete CCNA modules 1 and 2 in 3 weeks with an intensive program, I believe 3 and 4 are about the same. In the civilian world, I think the whole program is 4 months, 1 semester of college.

I feel your pain my friend, I was in that situation 4 years ago. My only out was the Corps haha...give it time, it will get better.

ghost53574

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2014
RSI Handle
Yep, it's hard.

I would definitely recommend getting a Cisco cert or two. If you have a deep background in networking and IA, you should be able to get yourself a CCNA fairly easily. Maybe add in Security+ or Network+, A+ isn't bad either, and you've got a great resume for entry level IT.

In my unit, we are expect to complete CCNA modules 1 and 2 in 3 weeks with an intensive program, I believe 3 and 4 are about the same. In the civilian world, I think the whole program is 4 months, 1 semester of college.

I feel your pain my friend, I was in that situation 4 years ago. My only out was the Corps haha...give it time, it will get better.
Tried joining when I was in high school, long story short it didn't end well and I was PDQ'd as a polee. I already have an A+, Network+, Security+, and the CCENT. Don't even have enough money right now to finish my CCNA. So yeah, I'm just tired of being disappointed really. Hoorah...

Designated Drunk

Space Marshal
Feb 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Designated_Drunk
Yo, shout outs to my engineering homies. My degree is in mechaninical engineering, but I currently work as an IT manager. I'm far from surprised that we have a lot of IT folks here - would be far more interesting if we had a whole contingent of people who majored in animal husbandry or something... You know, just discussing calf birthing techniques on TS while people are eating dinner...

Forgot your password?