Smuggling Sooo, Smuggling?

SPRNinja

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
SPRNinja
At that price range Connie would be the best smuggler.
Retaliator will not be fast or maneuverable, CIG will not let it be.
Bombers are slow and thus they need to be dotted by turrets for close fighter defense.

CIG will make it play its part in the SC PU universe.
And yeah, they will say anything untill PU just to keep the forums somewhat peacefull and avoid "end of the tali world" threads.
o yea, i know what you mean, i meant compared to another 80m ship, id say its like comparing a B1b to lets say... a 767, but like you said, ill just have to wait till the PU to find out

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
I wouldn't count on the Tali to have speed, but I do expect it to be rugged. It might make a decent smuggler by just busting through checkpoints and shooting it out with enforcement ships.

C

CaptainHavoc

There will be a lot of crap I can smuggle in with my hully.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
The way I see it, there are 2 basic types of smugglers.

1) Is the "classic" smuggler, trying to fly under the radar with contraband mixed in with legitimate cargo. Think a tanker ship with 2 random containers filled with guns and drugs, and the other 200 filled with corn or some shit. Hiding in plain sight.

2) Is more of a bootlegger/rumrunner. Relying on speed and stealth to transport smaller quantities of fully illegal cargo. Think a speedboat loaded with coke, or a model T trying to outrun the cops while carrying a full load of moonshine.

Also smugglers are natural middlemen between the UEE and Outlaw/Lawless Sectors for moving both illegal goods into the UEE, and restricted milspec or hard to acquire gear into lawless space. Definitely someone good to know.

D3Mark

Grand Admiral
Sep 24, 2014
RSI Handle
D3Mark
I think you can add in a 3rd type, which is where the Retaliator fits in: Blockade runner, a ship that is meant to fight it's way through checkpoints or militia pickets when it does get scanned. Instead of investing in stealth systems, it's armor and weapons are meant to be used to defend it's cargo to the last.

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
Blockade runner?
No way.

One Vanguard on its ass and poof.

D3Mark

Grand Admiral
Sep 24, 2014
RSI Handle
D3Mark
id say it depends if the 2 rear dorsal turrets, and the rear ventral turret can cover the rear arc
They can. The 'tali is one of the few ships that has every angle covered for a multi crew ship.

LaNoire

Rear Admiral
Jul 23, 2015
RSI Handle
Wobba
This is pretty much the primary profession I want to have. I have a little Aurora MR+ right now for small runs, but i'm thinking of investing in a Freelancer DUR. My thinking is that although it has less cargo space, the jump drive can get me places faster, the larger fuel capacity keeps me out of regulated space and the advanced scanners get me a better look on salvageable ships. I'm thinking I'm gonna want a legit crew for it.

D3Mark

Grand Admiral
Sep 24, 2014
RSI Handle
D3Mark
This is pretty much the primary profession I want to have. I have a little Aurora MR+ right now for small runs, but i'm thinking of investing in a Freelancer DUR. My thinking is that although it has less cargo space, the jump drive can get me places faster, the larger fuel capacity keeps me out of regulated space and the advanced scanners get me a better look on salvageable ships. I'm thinking I'm gonna want a legit crew for it.
Same, maining a smuggler in my 'Laner MAX.

Reactions: Viedon

D3Mark

Grand Admiral
Sep 24, 2014
RSI Handle
D3Mark
So to everyone who is smuggling, I'm a bit torn right now. They're going to be offering all of the following online during the event:
  • Aegis Retaliator
  • Anvil Carrack
  • Drake Caterpillar
  • RSI Orion
  • Aegis Reclaimer
  • Khartu-al (Xi’an Scout)
  • Banu Merchantman
So the question I pose to those here. Merchantman? Currently rolling a 'Laner MAX, not going to grab a Caterpillar (I don't like it), would love the Carrack but reconfiguring it at PU launch may not be an option, 'Tali is nice and I would consider it for smuggling. I just really don't like the lower "fin" of the MM while it's in flight it it's really a big freaking whale of a ship.

Reactions: honcho12

honcho12

Space Marshal
Oct 12, 2014
RSI Handle
honcho12
So to everyone who is smuggling, I'm a bit torn right now. They're going to be offering all of the following online during the event:

So the question I pose to those here. Merchantman? Currently rolling a 'Laner MAX, not going to grab a Caterpillar (I don't like it), would love the Carrack but reconfiguring it at PU launch may not be an option, 'Tali is nice and I would consider it for smuggling. I just really don't like the lower "fin" of the MM while it's in flight it it's really a big freaking whale of a ship.
I really like the idea of smuggling in a 'Tali, blockade running sounds like a ton of fun. Just my $.02

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
Bang for buck, Banu MM is hard to beat. CIG has said it's really underpriced for the size of ship you're getting, but they don't wanna jack it up after selling it at this price before. Supposed to be pretty fast and armored, and hold a crapton of loot.

I'm not sold on the ascetics either, but its definitely got it's fans.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
Bang for buck, Banu MM is hard to beat. CIG has said it's really underpriced for the size of ship you're getting, but they don't wanna jack it up after selling it at this price before. Supposed to be pretty fast and armored, and hold a crapton of loot.

I'm not sold on the ascetics either, but its definitely got it's fans.
..You're not sold on those who intentionally deprive themselves of material goods not essential to life?

D3Mark

Grand Admiral
Sep 24, 2014
RSI Handle
D3Mark
See but again, I'm already flying a 'Lancer MAX which has 4xT5 engines, the same as the Coni, compared to the MM which doesn't have nearly as much. The MAX is also much smaller in size/mass compared to the MM so it can really go much faster, in turn offer more turn around/possibility to getting away from problems. The only downside is comparable weapons (MM barely more then MAX) and cargo space (MM easily more then MAX).

Everyone loves to defend the MM, say it's going to be the best, blah blah blah, but comparing the two and not even looking at the stats the MAX just comes out on top. The only big thing for MM I feel is that customization is going to be a big thing in PU and that it's an alien ship which will be impossible to get in the PU.

Amon Morell

Space Marshal
Jun 19, 2015
RSI Handle
Amon Morell
I own a Max for now. I think it will be a great ship for Smuggling.
Im looking forward to see how fast the Hull B will be...2X T8 engines VS 4X T5 engines.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
See but again, I'm already flying a 'Lancer MAX which has 4xT5 engines, the same as the Coni, compared to the MM which doesn't have nearly as much. The MAX is also much smaller in size/mass compared to the MM so it can really go much faster, in turn offer more turn around/possibility to getting away from problems. The only downside is comparable weapons (MM barely more then MAX) and cargo space (MM easily more then MAX).

Everyone loves to defend the MM, say it's going to be the best, blah blah blah, but comparing the two and not even looking at the stats the MAX just comes out on top. The only big thing for MM I feel is that customization is going to be a big thing in PU and that it's an alien ship which will be impossible to get in the PU.
I think one of the other big things for the Merchantman is ~40 times the cargo capacity of the MAXX. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the Freelancer MAXX and I plan to use it as one of my main smuggling ships, but you have to admit; being able to make a single trip instead of 40 round trips will nullify pretty much any speed advantage if you're hauling large quantities of cargo.

Forgot your password?