SQUADRON 42, Go or no go

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
If you liked the Wing Commander series, Freelancer & Privateer games the SQ42 is all of these updated to SC standards.
It is a single person military campaign and will be AWESOME...............

When you complete all the missions, you will receive 'mustering out' pay, citizenship for SC, and possibly medals etc depending on how you do.
You might even get a ship from the military.....

So, the answer is YES.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
It's going to be the only fully fleshed gameplay we'll get in a good long while before the PU gets in to shape so just for something to do i'd say definitely do, if only for a tutorial and practice.

A.Santos

Space Marshal
Donor
Mar 6, 2016
RSI Handle
A_Santos
I personally look forward to it.......... but as some already said if you are not the single player part of this great journey il understand your doubts
I played a lot of Wing Commander in the past so like Cosmic Trader said........... it will be AWESOME !!!

ohh yea.....and the Cast alone for Squadron 42 is like WOOooooOOW

GARY OLDMAN
MARK HAMILL
MARK STRONG
SOPHIE WU
SANDI GARDINER
GILLIAN ANDERSON
CRAIG FAIRBRASS
LIAM CUNNINGHAM
BEN MENDELSOHN
IAN DUNCAN
JACK HUSTON
JOHN RHYS DAVIES
RHONA MITRA
etc..

Can't wait to see em all ingame

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
Is Sq42 still available bundled with SC in starter ship package? There was talk of separating them a while back, not sure if they did.

I'd be inclined to say get it while it's price is bundled into another package, but I am overall more interested in SC.
While it might be great and fantastic, I kind of get the impression I will play through it once and then, knowing exactly how it ends, unlikely ever play it again. I'm somewhat trying to avoid learning too much of the SC lore ahead of time, so I can learn it in Sq42 as a green UEE rookie.
Still, I bet dollar to time spent in game, I expect I'll get way more out of SC.

mindfart

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 10, 2015
RSI Handle
mindfart
Is Sq42 still available bundled with SC in starter ship package? There was talk of separating them a while back, not sure if they did.

I'd be inclined to say get it while it's price is bundled into another package, but I am overall more interested in SC.
While it might be great and fantastic, I kind of get the impression I will play through it once and then, knowing exactly how it ends, unlikely ever play it again. I'm somewhat trying to avoid learning too much of the SC lore ahead of time, so I can learn it in Sq42 as a green UEE rookie.
Still, I bet dollar to time spent in game, I expect I'll get way more out of SC.
Yeah they did do that a while back already, they now have an aurora and a mustang starter package combo with Sq42 for 72$, else it's sq42 standalone/SC starter package for 55$

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
I personally look forward to it.......... but as some already said if you are not the single player part of this great journey il understand your doubts
I played a lot of Wing Commander in the past so like Cosmic Trader said........... it will be AWESOME !!!

ohh yea.....and the Cast alone for Squadron 42 is like WOOooooOOW

GARY OLDMAN
MARK HAMILL
MARK STRONG
SOPHIE WU
SANDI GARDINER
GILLIAN ANDERSON
CRAIG FAIRBRASS
LIAM CUNNINGHAM
BEN MENDELSOHN
IAN DUNCAN
JACK HUSTON
JOHN RHYS DAVIES
RHONA MITRA
etc..

Can't wait to see em all ingame
Just in case you don't recognize some names.......

Dragonslaya54

Space Marshal
May 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Nilrune
I'm considering to get it, BUT Is the Squadron 42 really worth buying? I don't know much about the singleplayer so whats the Pros and cons. Is there anything else to gain from it besides the storyline? :slight_smile:
The pros and cons of buying Squadron 42
Pros:
1. 42% more beer
2. 42% more awesomeness
3. You'll finally be accepted by your friends and family

Fact: Get squadron 42 cause Montoya (also mark hamill) commands it!

Cons:
1. Wont have 42% more beer
2. Will not have more awesomeness,
3. Nobody will understand why you didn't buy it.

Hope this helped!

I_MIKE_I

Space Marshal
May 7, 2016
RSI Handle
I_MIKE_I
Tbh, I'm not too interested in single player Games, but they mentioned there would be "something" to take over to the PU, which has me kinda hyped.

Also, I would expect SQ42 to be "released" (at least partially) well before they let us earn UEC to purchase ships.

And I can fly around when drunk without ruining my reputation in the PU.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I feel it'll be a good intro to some key places in the 'Verse too.

Potentially things that happen in S42 will be findable in the PU, like a key ship wreck, a cool space station in the middle of nowhere you probably would not find otherwise - and bigger things too: Everyone is asking "Which cities will be on Earth?" but if the Vanduul blow the earth up in S42 that point is redundant as there will be no planet for there to be cities on.

S42 could be the back story for the whole PU... Are all Vanduul baddies? S42 may explain with a 'Duul prisoner or a 'Duul apologist being part of your team. Which species are our allies? A key S42 plot-twist could reveal whats what, who to trust and who not. What really happened with the Tevarin? The UEE beat them in a pair of wars, then Terraformed their home planet - If you see what happens in nature when a species habitat is destroyed this is basically genocide in everything but name and indeed Tevarin numbers are dwindling. What to the other races have to say about that? Nothing good I'd bet.

S42 could set the scene for whole universe we can go explore... or it could just be another Wing Commander clone. They have the potential. They just have to use it - and we just have to play it to find out :)

Forgot your password?