Star Citizen API

LeGritche

Lieutenant
Jun 13, 2017
RSI Handle
legritche
Hey there !

Our Great Lord has made a spectrum post about the necessity of a strong API for SC (which can be read here) and for being such a big structure, I wonder about what Test Squadron HR are waiting for in this case.

As a recruiter for many games in our community, I'm glad that API make my tasks easier.

How does it work here ? What do you want from CIG in that case (besides 3.0 and free auroras each day)

Reactions: StdDev

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Although I agree it is helpful for big orgs like TEST, I dont think CIG is going to do one. They have stated in the past (i dont remember where exactly) that they didnt want to do 3rd party stuff other than spectrum (which is their's).

Reactions: StdDev

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Damn, fooled!!! I want a SC API very badly, to control my weapon groups shields, power, jump drives with 2 way communication, you are talking about a spectrum API for user management

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy
Yeah I mean it's hardly going to allow full on mods but at least access to the audio systems so we can play music through the in game system, maybe even allow real radio for some real life feel. Listening to Ken Bruce in space oh that would be awesome.

Reactions: marcsand2

FluffyVonRage

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Palegrave
Yeah I mean it's hardly going to allow full on mods but at least access to the audio systems so we can play music through the in game system, maybe even allow real radio for some real life feel. Listening to Ken Bruce in space oh that would be awesome.
Blast some doom metal over local channel when engaging in illicit torpedo activities.
Shenanigans.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Right, I had to Google it. (other search engines are available.)

If the Mobiglas is user definable with its ap-blocks, would that not be the API we are looking for? Limited Modding/custom blocks would allow us to make WinAmp for it so we can play our local library of tunes. (we won't be able to broadcast them to other players without paying royalties)

Last edited:

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
What in arse is an API?
Application Programming Interface, its used to read and write data between a program (Star Citizen) with another program / application. For example, weapons management (right now is disabled) must be done with the in-game UI (User Interface), the MFD interface, therefor you need to look down, switch on in game mouse and adjust your weapon group settings. If you must do this during fight... well, fight over. However, if SC has an API o control your weapon groups outside SC, you can manage your weapons outside the game allowing you to fight further, don't have to enter the MFD interface.
A simple one way API are the keybindings / keyboard / mouse. You can use an external program like Roccat Powergrid, voiceattack or another macro program to simulate keypresses or mouse movement. I made a macro to simulate switching to HUD mode, click on the right spots and return to flight again. The flaw of this macro was that you need to release controls, fire the macro and take over control again. Another bad point is that the macro doesn't knows the current state in game. If I want to switch enable a weapon to a firegroup, than I must click to enable, click again to disable. The macro can't check the current state of that weapon, so it just clicks that weapon, not knowing if it enables or disables that weapon.
An API however would allow to ask from SC the weapon state, enabled or disabled and could do the appropriate action, if disabled, enable the weapon, if enabled, don't do anything. Because the API doesn't work with the user interface (mouse / keyboard / controllers) but communicates directly with the program, Star Citizen, this can be done without interfering with flight / fight.

Last edited:
Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Application Programming Interface, its used to read and write data a program (Star Citizen) with another program / application. For example, weapons management (right now is disabled) must be done with the in-game UI (User Interface), the MFD interface, therefor you need to look down, switch on in game mouse and adjust your weapon group settings. If you must do this during fight... well, fight over. However, if SC has an API o control your weapon groups outside SC, you can manage your weapons outside the game allowing you to fight further, don't have to enter the MFD interface.
A simple one way API are the keybindings / keyboard / mouse. You can use an external program like Roccat Powergrid, voiceattack or another macro program to simulate keypresses or mouse movement. I made a macro to simulate switching to HUD mode, click on the right spots and return to flight again. The flaw of this macro was that you need to release controls, fire the macro and take over control again. Another bad point is that the macro doesn't knows the current state in game. If I want to switch enable a weapon to a firegroup, than I must click to enable, click again to disable. The macro can't check the current state of that weapon, so it just clicks that weapon, not knowing if it enables or disables that weapon.
An API however would allow to ask from SC the weapon state, enabled or disabled and could do the appropriate action, if disabled, enable the weapon, if enabled, don't do anything. Because the API doesn't work with the user interface (mouse / keyboard / controllers) but communicates directly with the program, Star Citizen, this can be done without interfering with flight / fight.
Ah, right. So for instance if my balistics are getting to about 25% I could get the API to favour the energy weapons? If my port shield is getting shredded I can get the API to draw power from the starboard, that kind of thing?

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Ah, right. So for instance if my balistics are getting to about 25% I could get the API to favour the energy weapons? If my port shield is getting shredded I can get the API to draw power from the starboard, that kind of thing?
Hmmmm, thats is not why I intended to use it, but it is a very good idea :beers::beers::beers:

I want to use the API to make multiple external UI, one for the weapon groups, one for shields, one for power and whatever gets available. The read action would be getting the current status of power setting, with this data you can replicate the power triangle on your custom user interface so it looks exactly like the power triangle in game. If you look at your custom UI, you know that 20% power is to your weapons, 50% is to your engines and 30% is to your shields. If you press on a new location on the triangle, you can graphically adjust your setting.

However, if the API not only gives you access to the power setting, but also to the actual power status, than you could change your UI to an automated power manager, adjust power setting to power needs. The same for shields and weapons.

Since not everybody has access to this automated system it would be unfair for the people that don't use it. If I would be in charge of the SC API, I would restrict access to the setting, not the status, limiting its capabilities to external user interfaces, not automated management system. It already is an advantage to have a better UI to this settings. Automated control of the settings would be the same as an aimbot.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Hmmmm, thats is not why I intended to use it, but it is a very good idea :beers::beers::beers:

I want to use the API to make multiple external UI, one for the weapon groups, one for shields, one for power and whatever gets available. The read action would be getting the current status of power setting, with this data you can replicate the power triangle on your custom user interface so it looks exactly like the power triangle in game. If you look at your custom UI, you know that 20% power is to your weapons, 50% is to your engines and 30% is to your shields. If you press on a new location on the triangle, you can graphically adjust your setting.

However, if the API not only gives you access to the power setting, but also to the actual power status, than you could change your UI to an automated power manager, adjust power setting to power needs. The same for shields and weapons.

Since not everybody has access to this automated system it would be unfair for the people that don't use it. If I would be in charge of the SC API, I would restrict access to the setting, not the status, limiting its capabilities to external user interfaces, not automated management system. It already is an advantage to have a better UI to this settings. Automated control of the settings would be the same as an aimbot.
Aha, thats what I had feared to goodto know we are not going overboard.... So what if one of the luxury features of expensive Origin ships is advanced API style automation of these mundane tasks? ;)

Forgot your password?