Star Citizen community hitting cycle lows

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Which IP are you talking about? Wing Commander? IIRC, WC IP is property of EA games, not CR. Also, EA either liscensed it, or sold it to Piranha games Now, I might be wrong on it, and if I am, that's okay, but I thought that was one of the main reasons that SC is not WC Online.
The IP that is Starfield. If they've had it on the cards for 25 years and publishers said no to the SC pitch, and Field gets funding just after the SC crowdfunder success, it stands to logical interrogation Starfield was sat on a shelf waiting for a market to appear and importantly it matches the strengths of a prestigious developer.

Would you send someone like BioWare to make a looter-shooter like Anthem? It'd probably not turn out too well and SC made by Bethesda would likely not be the tech innovation game it is turning out to be right now, they'd make something like... well, like Starfield.

Regarding existing historic IP's, they have the issue of context of the original game/s. Bethesda could have bought the name licence and called Starfield "Wing Commander: Future" or something but Imagine if someone released a Rail Shooter called "Spore 2" and the only similarity to Spore is the creature creator was used to let players make their own enemy character models to shoot at. Spore 2 it most definately would not be.

I'm not saying that's exactly how it happened but Field entering development right after the Kickstarter is a heck of a coincidence if not.

Last edited:

Brictoria

Vice Admiral
Apr 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Brictoria
The IP that is Starfield. If they've had it on the cards for 25 years and publishers said no to the SC pitch, and Field gets funding just after the SC crowdfunder success, it stands to logical interrogation Starfield was sat on a shelf waiting for a market to appear and importantly it matches the strengths of a prestigious developer.

Would you send someone like BioWare to make a looter-shooter like Anthem? It'd probably not turn out too well and SC made by Bethesda would likely not be the tech innovation game it is turning out to be right now, they'd make something like... well, like Starfield.

Regarding existing historic IP's, they have the issue of context of the original game/s. Bethesda could have bought the name licence and called Starfield "Wing Commander: Future" or something but Imagine if someone released a Rail Shooter called "Spore 2" and the only similarity to Spore is the creature creator was used to let players make their own enemy character models to shoot at. Spore 2 it most definately would not be.

I'm not saying that's exactly how it happened but Field entering development right after the Kickstarter is a heck of a coincidence if not.
It certainly puts Star Citizen's (and Squadron 42's) stage of development into context when you see an established company which had existing teams of employees experienced in game development only now reaching a position where they are able to release a game, having started work on it at the same time as CIG (a new forming company) began work as well...

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
I'm really looking forward to seeing what's announced at CitCon. I'll take something special - like major progress on PvE content and gameplay, especially exploration
This right here is what is going to make me start playing the alpha. Until PvE is in i'm not going to touch it. Last time i touched the game was i think was 3.1 and 2.6.(3.1 was like 1 day cause my computer was having a meltdown trying to play lol) I think PvE is going to bring alot of people into the game. I need some giant bugs to terrorize.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
It certainly puts Star Citizen's (and Squadron 42's) stage of development into context when you see an established company which had existing teams of employees experienced in game development only now reaching a position where they are able to release a game, having started work on it at the same time as CIG (a new forming company) began work as well...
you forgot to mention that Bethesda already has working engines and existing asssets.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I'd be surprised if there are any backers who have not sat at least one patch out. I know I have. I even say Spectrum out for the whole of 2020, the only new years resolution I managed to keep :-)
Been sitting out for two years now but I did a similar thing before 3.0. How quickly we forget what the lead up to 3.0 was like. Then again I had bugsmashers so it was not all bad.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Been sitting out for two years now but I did a similar thing before 3.0. How quickly we forget what the lead up to 3.0 was like. Then again I had bugsmashers so it was not all bad.
i remember the lead up to 3.0 very well, and I am not sure that we got the best of the deal with complete planets.

I mean sure, we got the ability to go from space to planet to inside a habitat without changing servers, but we also got overwhelmed servers, t posing NPCs, no fauna, tons of mostly empty planets, etc.

I am really hoping that server meshing gives us the overhead the game needs to support NPC actions, animal life where appropriate, and all the other things that will make worlds like MicroTech, ArcCorp, Hurston, etc feel alive.

Forgot your password?