Star Citizen Stretch Goals Updated

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
You were aware of that list...?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1e9rQr2_iR0XPrvYrCNoFk4nNq_5VrrJFXf2G02MmVnU/edit#gid=1998968794

Thus, of 87 goals 21 are released, 29 are in development, but 26 goals haven't been updated since a long(er) time and 9 are at least postponed to "somewhen in the far future".

So, rumors awakend again since the latest "ten for the chairman" that CIG/RSI could be running into financial problems or will never reach their goal for the planned mega SciFi persistent MMO.

Imho this project will definitely go live, but it never will be such a "technical Overlord of a program" which Chris Roberts announced two years before. Perhaps it would be wise, in opposite to the first announcements, to widen the technical base onto the current gaming consoles like XBox and PS4. Because as a fact, the one question remains: how will this development machine "CIG" finance itself after the backing phase is over? When ships can be gained in-game and CIG have to set up their financials on micro transactions - how will CIG keep up making the "big money" as today? Will they "dismiss" half of their team? Or has Chris Roberts something in hidden in his bag which will keep firing up his "RSI backing machine"? What'd you think? And, well, tiny but stunning list anyway, isn't it? ;)

Cheers!
Sam

Cousak

Commander
Donor
Nov 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Cousak
I don't think we'll ever see the full Star Citizen on any of the full consoles, that being said I don't see a reason why they couldn't make an Arena Commander for console with some spare resources to cash in a bit in the console market as well some time after release.

Reactions: AstroSam

JackAvalon

Space Marshal
Nov 26, 2015
RSI Handle
Jack_Avalon

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1e9rQr2_iR0XPrvYrCNoFk4nNq_5VrrJFXf2G02MmVnU/edit#gid=1998968794

Thus, of 87 goals 21 are released, 29 are in development, but 26 goals haven't been updated since a long(er) time and 9 are at least postponed to "somewhen in the far future".

So, rumors awakend again since the latest "ten for the chairman" that CIG/RSI could be running into financial problems or will never reach their goal for the planned mega SciFi persistent MMO.

Imho this project will definitely go live, but it never will be such a "technical Overlord of a program" which Chris Roberts announced two years before. Perhaps it would be wise, in opposite to the first announcements, to widen the technical base onto the current gaming consoles like XBox and PS4. Because as a fact, the one question remains: how will this development machine "CIG" finance itself after the backing phase is over? When ships can be gained in-game and CIG have to set up their financials on micro transactions - how will CIG keep up making the "big money" as today? Will they "dismiss" half of their team? Or has Chris Roberts something in hidden in his bag which will keep firing up his "RSI backing machine"? What'd you think? And, well, tiny but stunning list anyway, isn't it? ;)

Cheers!
Sam
I haven't seen anything or heard anything to support the idea that CIG is running out of money. If they were to be running low on funds or feared that they couldn't complete all aspects of what they promised us, I'm positive they would let their backers know of their status.

As far as future.money goes there is also the sales of SQ42 parts 2 & 3 to consider. Also they could utilize micro transactions to bolster their coffers. Worst case would be to enact a subscription scheme for SC but I doubt this would ever come to pass as this would kill the consumer base not to mention possibly be illegal.

All in all have faith fellow Testies. CIG is working hard to create the Sci Fi game that we have been wishing for, for many years now. Besides you truly should be [CONCERNED] about SOTS 16. Rumor has it that Montoya owes us all beer...

Floating Cloud

Space Marshal
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Floating_Cloud
My feeling is that the current incoming funds can continue to fund development. The only thing that I see sinking the ship is if the haters gain enough momentum to cast fear, uncertainty and doubt amongst those who currently and in future continue to put money into their dreams.

So can I ask everyone to pause a moment and think positive thoughts out into the ether!

...well either that or sit back and have a beer, which I am sure will have the same positive effect ;)

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos

Cheers!
Sam
They presently don't need to make more money for a very long time. Roberts took all the extra millions and put it in a bank to use solely for the company. He doesn't need any of it. They dont need money to stay financed after the backing is done, they have enough to sustain them through another game.

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
I think people are blowing this way out of proportion.

CR says "not all stretch goals will be in for v1" and people think the sky is falling.

It's a simple question really: Would you rather get to play the original version of Star Citizen SOON(tm) while they implement all of the stretch goals, or would you rather wait 3-4 more years for those "add-on" features to be added on?

The answer to me is painfully easy, and it is the same as CR's answer: Get the basic game out SOON(tm) and add the stretch goals on once people are having fun playing the game.

To go farther and assume that they must be in financial trouble is to have a complete and total lack of understanding about how software development works. When you see members of the press with that opinion, just write them off as morons who shouldn't be writing articles about software.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I have no worries. This game will be released, and it will be awesome. If CIG needs to make more money, they will find a way to bring in income. Micro transactions may end up being a thing. Games like Game of War and Clash of Clans bring in millions upon millions with micro transactions.

If, heavy on the 'if', CIG needs to, they can simply start selling skins or other non-gameplay affecting stuff and things. People always cough up for that shit.

Hadron Xon

Space Marshal
Jan 18, 2016
RSI Handle
Hadron_Xon
As long as i get my Cat and 10- 20 systems to trade and explore in at the start I will be fine with them implementing new content over time. I have been highly skeptical of the project from the start and that has allowed me to develop realistic expectations for the game they give us at release. If i decide not to play , Well i can just sell my account before release. On top of that i plan on playing No Mans Sky and a dozen other games so whatever happens ...happens. Hell just being in test is a blast.I am sure SC will be fine.

I got 99 problems but SC ain't one.

Last edited:

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
I think people are blowing this way out of proportion.

CR says "not all stretch goals will be in for v1" and people think the sky is falling.

It's a simple question really: Would you rather get to play the original version of Star Citizen SOON(tm) while they implement all of the stretch goals, or would you rather wait 3-4 more years for those "add-on" features to be added on?

The answer to me is painfully easy, and it is the same as CR's answer: Get the basic game out SOON(tm) and add the stretch goals on once people are having fun playing the game.

To go farther and assume that they must be in financial trouble is to have a complete and total lack of understanding about how software development works. When you see members of the press with that opinion, just write them off as morons who shouldn't be writing articles about software.
I personally rather not everything be there from the get go because its been a little frustrating that more features kept being added pushing back when i get to play :(

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
I personally rather not everything be there from the get go because its been a little frustrating that more features kept being added pushing back when i get to play :(
Agreed.

thanatos73

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2014
RSI Handle
thanatos1973
I'll be honest, I had doubts in the beginning. Then, Crusader launched, and my doubts flew out the window. Then the procedural planet / Cutlass landing planetside thing happened, and my doubts started running and fell off a cliff, into a bottomless pit of beer, to be drowned out by TEST till the end of time..... :).

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
I've never had doubts about the project. I doubt just the people that criticize it. Anything can be programmed. It takes time and effort but it can be done. SC has been held back a lot because they are having to program the vast majority of their own tech to bring that vision to life and expanding the engine itself far beyond what anyone could have imagined.

But its happening. It goes forward. The journey Chris has started on began with a single step. We're all walking right beside him and the team and its a great journey to behold.

Forgot your password?