Starfarer priced at $300 now

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
I would hope there's not a fueling station in every system or the Starfarer would be useless.
In any system where flying a Starfarer is profitable, it will also be at risk from roaming gangs. In Eve, the only economic activity in lawless space happens where alliances control sovereign space. There won't be any sovereignty in SC, so good luck with that.

Reactions: AstroSam

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Money per hour will be important to most. I don't need to join a crew to socialize with my fellow Testes, I can do that on Discord as I blow shit up in my cheap, cheap-to-fly fighter.
Money per hour will be important to some. You can't say most as you can't know all players.

And if money per hour is all that's important you'd want to go with the highest and very best. Which might not be fun to you. I personally don't want to sit and pilot a Hull series 11 hours a day. I do that for work now.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
...I personally don't want to sit and pilot a Hull series 11 hours a day. I do that for work now.
None of us want SC to be a second job. But as long as in-game money is necessary to play, we will need to find a way to earn some. For most players, earning money is not the most fun; blowing shit up is. Those players will care about money per hour - they want more of their limited time for pew-pew.

I made my first Eve character with an industry specialization. But I soon figured out that the quickest way to earn the money for a high-end mining ship was to go with my corpmates on combat missions. The majority of Eve players abandon industry for combat. I'm not saying no one will mine or harvest fuel in SC, only that a lot of Starfarers will sit idle a lot of the time.

Reactions: AstroSam

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
On the other hand, fucktons of people like American/Euro Truck Simulator. One of my best gaming buds has a Hull A and a Reliant as his only ships, and is only looking forward to transporting stuff.

They're odd folk, but we still love em #meh

Different strokes for different folks. I personally find all the talk about mining to be boring, and exploration isn't too far behind. But also a ton of people think combat is boring too. I like the fact that we have enough jobs that people can do what they want.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
On the other hand, fucktons of people like American/Euro Truck Simulator. One of my best gaming buds has a Hull A and a Reliant as his only ships, and is only looking forward to transporting stuff.

They're odd folk, but we still love em ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Different strokes for different folks. I personally find all the talk about mining to be boring, and exploration isn't too far behind. But also a ton of people think combat is boring too. I like the fact that we have enough jobs that people can do what they want.
Amen.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli

They're odd folk, but we still love em ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I love the idea of mining and fueling. Tinkering with the components is what I'll love most.

However, combat really isn't my thing. I suck so bad at Arena Commander I'm thinking of not even owning a combat ship. My piloting skills are horrible. I may have NPCs pilot my ships if they're competent enough, while I do all the co-pilot and engineering stuff.

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
I don't mind combat but I accept I am at best average so the amount of pvp I choose to do will be limited (squadron events excepted) because I will be frequently bested. I do expect of course there will be those who will enjoy taking on people like me because its easy and fun for them. I do hope there is lots of things to choose to do in the game that's fun because variety is better for the health of the game. I am trying to select ships that would suit how I play. I have a scout ship because it has a reasonable chance of running away from said better skilled pilot or at attempting to run blockades even if its not a good dogfighter.

I will do some exploring and some trading and I hope being shot from a caterpillar is a fun thing to do as well! I will have limited time in game though so no fuel filler for me.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I don't mind combat but I accept I am at best average so the amount of pvp I choose to do will be limited (squadron events excepted) because I will be frequently bested. I do expect of course there will be those who will enjoy taking on people like me because its easy and fun for them. I do hope there is lots of things to choose to do in the game that's fun because variety is better for the health of the game. I am trying to select ships that would suit how I play. I have a scout ship because it has a reasonable chance of running away from said better skilled pilot or at attempting to run blockades even if its not a good dogfighter.

I will do some exploring and some trading and I hope being shot from a caterpillar is a fun thing to do as well! I will have limited time in game though so no fuel filler for me.
I'm hoping I can take a combat ship and supe it up to be a monster, therefore mitigating my shittiness.

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
I'm hoping I can take a combat ship and supe it up to be a monster, therefore mitigating my shittiness.
I wish you luck, I am not convinced it will be easy I originally liked the connie as a good platform for that reason but they are apparently an easy kill at the moment (for nimble ships) still there are bigger ships out there! I also expect focusing on one ship is probably a good idea! Just which one!

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
I know a lot of folks are looking at the Starfarer for its fuel production and refueling while worrying about how much cash it will net them per unit of time. What IM looking at is dropping all but 2 of the fuel pods for cargo pods (Or go all cargo if I'm going solo because i can fill my fuel tank directly from the refinery.) What does that give me? Endless-fuel on a space truck and one hell of an HQ for my buddies and I. I just love how you can modify ships to fit your needs. Good on you, CIG.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I know a lot of folks are looking at the Starfarer for its fuel production and refueling while worrying about how much cash it will net them per unit of time. What IM looking at is dropping all but 2 of the fuel pods for cargo pods (Or go all cargo if I'm going solo because i can fill my fuel tank directly from the refinery.) What does that give me? Endless-fuel on a space truck and one hell of an HQ for my buddies and I. I just love how you can modify ships to fit your needs. Good on you, CIG.
This is an idea I had as well. It's almost infinite fuel and has the capacity of almost a Hull C! The Gemini might have half a Hull C cargo space, but it's a tank and has some bite. I can't wait to see it in action.

Halesh

Commander
Mar 1, 2016
RSI Handle
Halesh
I am looking forward to all the different aspects of the game, but combat is the last aspect of the game on my list. Yes, I said it. Combat is the last thing I care about in Star citizen. I want the game to be as emersive and realistic as it can be...... that way when combat does happen, I know i lost because I was crap or I was outnumbered. Not because somebody exploited the game mechanics...... I'm looking at you EVE.

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
I can see griefing opportunities with ambushes, if there are a group of say three ships and one fires at you, if you attack back and hit one of the other two will you be an aggressor?

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I am looking forward to all the different aspects of the game, but combat is the last aspect of the game on my list. Yes, I said it. Combat is the last thing I care about in Star citizen. I want the game to be as emersive and realistic as it can be...... that way when combat does happen, I know i lost because I was crap or I was outnumbered. Not because somebody exploited the game mechanics...... I'm looking at you EVE.
The only combat I will focus on is fps, like Star Marine. I gotta be able to protect myself in case of boarding!

I can see griefing opportunities with ambushes, if there are a group of say three ships and one fires at you, if you attack back and hit one of the other two will you be an aggressor?
I'm actually going to test this a little. By going to Cry-Astro or another secure are and firing very close to the ship and if they fire back and destroy me they get a star and are attacked by security.

Forgot your password?