Starfarer priced at $300 now

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
I hate to be overly pessimistic, but this price increase bugs me to no end and I wasn't particularly interested in this ship to begin with. Don't get me wrong, I think they did a beautiful job on it so far and I am interested in the less combat focused game play options. For me, it just raises the question: why increase the price by so much?

Large ship game mechanics will have to be implemented regardless of how much work is put into this one ship. The ship isn't overly powerful combat-wise. Its not meant to be a rare ship like the alien ones. In fact, it should be quite a common sight given its function. It should be able to make its crew a heap of cash. They are already planning to allow you to buy space bucks for real bucks. Is this inflation of price meant to balance its profit value to players?

When the game finally comes out, I really don't want there to be a bunch time sinks to encourage buying space bucks. This really seems like either a way to gouge people for getting exited to finally have the big ships come out or to actively discourage people from buying these ships.

Am I being too cynical? Somebody tell me I'm being too cynical.

Whaleman

Commander
Jan 1, 2016
RSI Handle
whaleman
Am I being too cynical? Somebody tell me I'm being too cynical.
You're being too cynical.

Compare this ship to a single Freelancer, it used to cost less than two of those and it's easily 4 times the physical cargo space and crew space over that and then you add gathering, refining and distribution of space fuel to that. The people who got it cheap were extremely lucky and with the price as it was would probably make the Starfarer the most common ship after the Aurora, I mean it cost just slightly more than the top tier single seat fighters and it has 6 size 4 guns and 4 size 2. It completely scews the whole ship pricing economy.

And it has been stated time and time again that prices can and probably will go up, so you can always gamble, see if you can get another ship that hasn't reached its final size for cheap (ish) and CCU it to a starfarer once its price jumped.

And as always: You will be able to get them in game for no real money at all. It's either a will to back the game or an illogical impatience (patience usually never follow logic :p) that makes us buy ships, so if you get the Starfarer now you just back the game more and if you can't afford it you probably should not have bought it at the previous price either for your own economy's sake. (and yes, I'm guilty of breaking that rule myself, but never for more than a Reliant Sen :p)

Last edited:

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
now I am [CONCERN]ed

they're promoting this thing like they need our money

Reactions: Blind Owl

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
now I am [CONCERN]ed

they're promoting this thing like they need our money
I'm not so sure. Maybe, but in the past 7 months they've made 24 million. I doubt they burn 3+ mil a month.

Hadron Xon

Space Marshal
Jan 18, 2016
RSI Handle
Hadron_Xon
I am sure the Banu MM and cat will go up but neither is hanger ready or flight ready.... In fact i have yet to see an concrete concept for either. So as of now i don't see any justification for a rise in price until we see more out of both ships. This is my hope anyway .....those are the last two ships i was looking at and i only want one of them. I only plan to use 3 ships as it stands right now.

Last edited:

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
If you guys are worried about the Cat or Carrack increasing a ton I know a guy, but it's a bit expensive. Still a better deal than increasing $200 by flight ready though.

I can act as middleman for free, or maybe just a dollar or two to cover fees.

Hadron Xon

Space Marshal
Jan 18, 2016
RSI Handle
Hadron_Xon
If you guys are worried about the Cat or Carrack increasing a ton I know a guy, but it's a bit expensive. Still a better deal than increasing $200 by flight ready though.

I can act as middleman for free, or maybe just a dollar or two to cover fees.
Well most of what i am willing to spend is tied up in credit on the cig website so i don't think the grey market can help me. As i said i only plan on having 3 ships with 400 $ being my limit almost half that is already built up credit on my account.

edit: I could drop the 150$ now and get the SF the point was at 195 $i could get it plus the other two ships i wanted. If BMM and Cat both go up i will just look at other options.

Last edited:

Derkerter

Space Marshal
Feb 20, 2015
RSI Handle
Derkerter
I'm actually okay with this. Originally I pictured the farer as Tali-sized freelancer, but now, it's freakin huge. $300 to me seems fair with all things considered. It'll be one hell of a money-maker in the game more likely than not, and critical to all orgs. It's not like the blade with a a $250 m50, or the glaive which was what, 350 I think? This is a theoretical good income maker, and is exceptionally versatile.

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
Black sunder, Why are you mocking my piloting skills? lol

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
I do wonder whether the price increase is to reduce purchase or more to the point how many there will be. If everyone only flies the big stuff this game will have problems. Ships are not cheap in my eyes even though I totally accept that is how the development is paid for.

WhooptyWoo

Admiral
Donor
Jul 18, 2014
RSI Handle
WhooptyWoo
I do wonder whether the price increase is to reduce purchase or more to the point how many there will be. If everyone only flies the big stuff this game will have problems. Ships are not cheap in my eyes even though I totally accept that is how the development is paid for.
CIG has stated that they price a ship based on how big it is, what its capabilities are, and the equipment it comes with. So if you were to ask them they would say the ship is now worth $100+ more than it was when it was originally concepted.

I hope that this is the case.

Halesh

Commander
Mar 1, 2016
RSI Handle
Halesh
I CCU´d a blade into the beerfarer. All was store credit so I am happy with the result. Between this and the crucible I am done ship shopping ;)

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
CIG has stated that they price a ship based on how big it is, what its capabilities are, and the equipment it comes with. So if you were to ask them they would say the ship is now worth $100+ more than it was when it was originally concepted.

I hope that this is the case.
Actually they'd say it's worth $200 more and we're still getting a deal. Cause it'll be $400 when flight ready.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I made a little video to just show the scale of the Starfarer when coming up on it in the Hangar. Thing is freaking massive! I'd say it's probably worth the extra $100. Not sure about the extra $200 by the time it's flight ready, but we'll see.

*In true Test fashion I end up crashing into a bottle or something around 0:16 lol

Forgot your password?