Starfarer priced at $300 now

JackAvalon

Space Marshal
Nov 26, 2015
RSI Handle
Jack_Avalon
I agree it should be more, but I don't think it's in line for its use. If you look at the Gemini, it will probably be $350ish, but comparable ships (Reclaimer, Carrack) have a much wider range of abilities.

The Reclaimer tears down ships into scrap, yes, but it also salvaged components, which are going to be hugely profitable.

The Carrack has a wide array of functions. Deep space Explorer, small repair bay, small medical bay, and long range sensors to detect JPs.

Also, both of those ships have a Snubnose. Each designed according to the ship. Plus the Carrack has a car! And both ships should have more cargo space.

The base Starfarer should have been bumped to the Gemini price of around $250 and the Gemini up to around $290-300. It's an amazing ship to be sure, I love the layout, but it's no Reclaimer, Carrack, or Orion. Imagine how big and useful those ships will be!
Ultimately, CIG gets to set the price. As much as we wish every ship was more affordable, the SC project possibly wouldn't be at this level in funding if it weren't. So, I may not like the prices of some ships but I'm glad that they helped get SC to where it is now.

Whaleman

Commander
Jan 1, 2016
RSI Handle
whaleman
Honestly, right now they probably increase the price of the ships because they want less people to buy them.

They're really hurting the start economy by offering them relatively cheap. Realising how much of a head start a Starfarer will give me I almost want to melt it (just almost though, love it too much and if I'm allowed to upgrade it to a reclaimer for a low cost I would love that even more). I'll probably end up using smaller ships to start with until I feel I've earned the bigger ones, because man... it's one heck of a step up.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Honestly, right now they probably increase the price of the ships because they want less people to buy them.

They're really hurting the start economy by offering them relatively cheap. Realising how much of a head start a Starfarer will give me I almost want to melt it (just almost though, love it too much and if I'm allowed to upgrade it to a reclaimer for a low cost I would love that even more). I'll probably end up using smaller ships to start with until I feel I've earned the bigger ones, because man... it's one heck of a step up.
I think they have said they're setting prices to limit the bigger ships. At least they're not doing quantity sales. But they are timed sales. Not sure how much longer Starfarer will be on sale.

I don't know about using smaller ships til I feel I've earned bigger ones, I would've just bought smaller ships if that were the case. But there will definitely be days I log on and it feels like a "small ship" day.

Whaleman

Commander
Jan 1, 2016
RSI Handle
whaleman
I don't know about using smaller ships til I feel I've earned bigger ones, I would've just bought smaller ships if that were the case. But there will definitely be days I log on and it feels like a "small ship" day.
I never bought my large ship, so it changes it for me ;) I won a Gladius LTI and a Connie Andromeda on twitch raffles in one ad the same week, melted the Connie and upgraded the Gladius to a Connie with LTI, and then at the anniversary sale I upgraded the Connie to a Gemini and had enough to spare to get a Reliant Sen.

If I really wanted a head start I do now have enough smaller ships so that I could melt them and get an Orion or Reclaimer or something like that, but I would not like to have started vanilla wow with a lvl 60 in full Tier 3 and the same goes here. I do want to support the game so I have bought a few smaller ships (some that have accidentally turned into a Karthu-Al), but I really don't want to miss out on the achievement of progress.

That being said, I have a focus on exploration and science and if I get to upgrade my gemini to a reclaimer in the future I think the plan would be to explore in smaller ships with my wife and if we find something reclaimable get a few people together and have a collective adventure in the big ship. So focus on smaller ships but the huge ship would still end up the joy and money-bringer.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
If I really wanted a head start I do now have enough smaller ships so that I could melt them and get an Orion or Reclaimer or something like that, but I would not like to have started vanilla wow with a lvl 60 in full Tier 3 and the same goes here.
Actually, it would be like starting vanilla wow with a level 60 with no gear. They've said that the ships we're getting are equipped with basic weapons/components and that most of our credits/time will be spent purchasing better equipment or researching upgrades to current.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I can see that for a combat ship but does a starfarer just scoop faster?
Combat ships do need weapons, but the Starfarer needs a lot of expensive equipment too. Some Gas Giants have been labeled dangerous or chaotic atmosphere.

You'll need to upgrade shields for protection, engines to get through the storms, sensors to scan through clouds so you don't hit a mountain, power plant to keep everything running, coolers to run them smoothly, and even weapons to take out smaller pirates or remove asteroids.

Remember, the Star G has 3 s5 and 2 s4 guns. These are stronger than probably 3-5 Super Hornets! Combined with its 2 s4 shields and reinforced armor it can hold its own. Even the base Starfarer has a decent armament. Upgrade all its weapons and even it could take on quite a bit.

They've shown a few ratings on components such as base, industrial, military, and stealth. I think the Starfarer will mostly want Industrial as its nowhere near being stealthy. And I feel Military grade is more efficient than pure power like Industrial would be.

Honestly I believe we'll spend hundreds of thousands or possibly millions on upgrading equipment.

Takran

Admiral
Feb 8, 2016
RSI Handle
TakranG
Honestly I believe we'll spend hundreds of thousands or possibly millions on upgrading equipment.
I could see this also being a limiting factor to the "everyone flies huge ships" problem. You have to fuel, crew, maintain, and upgrade this massive hulk of a ship. Sometimes, you might just want to fly out with your little one-seater that you fully upgraded to top-tier equipment for the equivalent cost of one new shield generator on your cap-ship (theoretical, obviously, but you get the point).

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I could see this also being a limiting factor to the "everyone flies huge ships" problem. You have to fuel, crew, maintain, and upgrade this massive hulk of a ship. Sometimes, you might just want to fly out with your little one-seater that you fully upgraded to top-tier equipment for the equivalent cost of one new shield generator on your cap-ship (theoretical, obviously, but you get the point).
Yup, considering some smaller ships have size 1 or two with the old system. With the new system they'll have 1 or 2 small shields. But a ship like the Reclaimer will need around 6 Capitol sized shields.

Components will get exponentially more expensive. Not to mention you'll need an Endeavor to get the most out of the component. Possibly a SEN, I'm hoping they can do upgrades as well as the Endeavor, maybe just a bit slower.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Yup, considering some smaller ships have size 1 or two with the old system. With the new system they'll have 1 or 2 small shields. But a ship like the Reclaimer will need around 6 Capitol sized shields.

Components will get exponentially more expensive. Not to mention you'll need an Endeavor to get the most out of the component. Possibly a SEN, I'm hoping they can do upgrades as well as the Endeavor, maybe just a bit slower.
All these components . . .but do they have a brewery upgrade. That's the only damn question that matters.

Reactions: Thugari

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I thought we decided that already, convert one of the fuel tanks, add hops, barley and lots of women in bikinis.
Yes, that was our decision. Now we must convince CIG (or someone with knowledge of 1's and 0's) to write it into the game.

Or we can just get drunk enough that we think it's written in. That's may be easiest.

Reactions: Thugari

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
This whole ship pricing controversy points to potentially serious problems with the in-game economy. Think about this:

If fuel-mining ships are expensive, then fuel will have to be expensive to justify their purchase.

But high fuel prices will put a major crimp in casual gameplay. Who wants to grind for an hour to go exploring for an hour?

If fuel and large ship prices are cheap and easy to earn in-game, backers will feel seriously exploited.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
This whole ship pricing controversy points to potentially serious problems with the in-game economy. Think about this:

If fuel-mining ships are expensive, then fuel will have to be expensive to justify their purchase.

But high fuel prices will put a major crimp in casual gameplay. Who wants to grind for an hour to go exploring for an hour?

If fuel and large ship prices are cheap in-game, backers will feel seriously exploited.
It may not be that big of a problem for casuals. They will have the option of fueling at NPC stations. And I think these stations will keep fuel prices in check. Where you earn the most credits will be on the fringes of space where you'd expect to earn more money anyways. As well as idiots who went too deep and ran out of fuel.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
It may not be that big of a problem for casuals. They will have the option of fueling at NPC stations. And I think these stations will keep fuel prices in check. Where you earn the most credits will be on the fringes of space where you'd expect to earn more money anyways. As well as idiots who went too deep and ran out of fuel.
That's the idea behind the decision to have players' contribution to the economy capped at ~10%. The devs can set prices where they encourage casual gameplay. But who is going to X up to join a Starfarer crew for a fuel run if bounty or other NPC missions pay better per hour? I'm betting there will be a lot of large ships that never leave their hangars.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
That's the idea behind the decision to have players' contribution to the economy capped at ~10%. The devs can set prices where they encourage casual gameplay. But who is going to X up to join a Starfarer crew for a fuel run if bounty or other NPC missions pay better per hour? I'm betting there will be a lot of large ships that never leave their hangars.
Money per hour is only important to some. Also, if your bounty is in a system with no NPC fuel station, you may need a Starfarer.

I would hope there's not a fueling station in every system or the Starfarer would be useless.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
Money per hour is only important to some...
Money per hour will be important to most. I don't need to join a crew to socialize with my fellow Testes, I can do that on Discord as I blow shit up in my cheap, cheap-to-fly fighter.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Money per hour is only important to some. Also, if your bounty is in a system with no NPC fuel station, you may need a Starfarer.

I would hope there's not a fueling station in every system or the Starfarer would be useless.
This. I concur. Money per hour is nothing compared to having a good time playing. Discovering. Being part of something bigger than ourselves. To each their own out there, but for me, it'll be about the element of fun. I worry about money enough in real life. Fuck that attitude in game. :)

Reactions: Grimbli
Forgot your password?