Streetroller gets a $3000 refund from CIG

WingCmdr_Goose

Grand Admiral
Jun 23, 2016
RSI Handle
Vault_Dweller
People don't realize it takes time to develop a really good bugless game. People want the most badass game and they want it NOW. CIG is doing things with Star Citizen that no one has done before so it's only natural that they take their time with it and do it right. From what I understand it's only been in actual development for 2 years.
"You promised the game would be released in 2016" shit happens and things get delayed. No reason to throw a bitch fit. From what I understand SQ42 is set to release in late 2016.

Take battlefield 4 for example, it was rushed and launched early by EA regardless of DICE saying it wasn't ready to compete with *cough* COD. The launch was a failure. Severs crashing left and right, shit ton of bugs and so on. Star Citizen, with the level of detail and complexity SHOULD NOT BE RUSHED. However, once they get the basics down in the universe and the main issues solved I believe the development will speed up. I say late 2017 or early-mid 2018 is when it should be done. If it stays on track. Regardless, I don't give a fuck about everyone throwing a fit, I'm putting my personal money into this games development for my enjoyment. Even if it takes 2 more years to complete. It will be worth it.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
People don't realize it takes time to develop a really good bugless game. People want the most badass game and they want it NOW. CIG is doing things with Star Citizen that no one has done before so it's only natural that they take their time with it and do it right. From what I understand it's only been in actual development for 2 years.
This. Exactly this. What the hell don't people understand about this? Games take time. Great games take more time.
The process is working. And we get to be a part of that process. That's fucking awesome.

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
I think Montoya summed it up, this guy was tired of waiting and he figured he would he toss all this legal crap in CIG's direction and wah wah get his money back, funny thing to me is it did not read as though CIG lost the argument rather they just did not want to argue as 3000$ was not worth it I am sure, better to send the guy packing anyways.

I am in for over 600$ myself and at times I do wonder if this game will be everything CIG claims it will be, you have to wonder with 325ish employee's all over the world how long will the money last, but I know regardless I chose to put that money in there knowing it could go "poof" and it would not be the first time I have kick started a game and lost money.

I am just like everyone else I hope for the best and prepare for the worst, I personally don't think the actual game will release until 2018 which has me worried and kind of bitter but I could be wrong. I think we all have high expectations and we all know if CIG pulls this off its going to be one hell of a ride and that is why we put money into it.

Until then I keep drinking and crashing!

Mog_No_1

Captain
Donor
May 3, 2016
RSI Handle
I think people are wrong if they think CIG couldnt give a rats ass about this outcome otherwise they would have settled along time ago when the refund request was initially initiated. In the end they are wrong not to provide the refund legally and they know it which is why they paid out. The reality is it sets a precedent now, how does CIG legitimately refuse refunds now with that previous terms and conditions? They need to forfill their end promise to deliver and Id suggest thats atleast pumping out S42 part 1 ASAP where technically they have delivered a game at that point. Hopefully that will help the rest of us get an end product sooner with less farting around from CIG!

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
...funny thing to me is it did not read as though CIG lost the argument rather they just did not want to argue as 3000$ was not worth it I am sure, better to send the guy packing anyways...
Looking at the original post, there is a highlight in yellow in the PayPal resolution response... Obviously, as this is highlighted, it may have some significance...

The highlight section reads along the lines of "The merchant says your goods or services were delivered" It appears to be an automated response or cookie-cutter standard copy/paste paypal reply. This is false. Backing a project is akin to a charity donation with benefits and PayPal should have responded in this tone. You donated and your access to benefits has been granted as agreed. So I reckon CIG has a case against PayPal to recoup that cost if this is what 'trollers case hinged on?

Now he has no invested interest in the project, I look forward to him fading away in to the obscurity of a Wikipedia Sub-Article.

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
I think people are wrong if they think CIG couldnt give a rats ass about this outcome otherwise they would have settled along time ago when the refund request was initially initiated. In the end they are wrong not to provide the refund legally and they know it which is why they paid out. The reality is it sets a precedent now, how does CIG legitimately refuse refunds now with that previous terms and conditions? They need to forfill their end promise to deliver and Id suggest thats atleast pumping out S42 part 1 ASAP where technically they have delivered a game at that point. Hopefully that will help the rest of us get an end product sooner with less farting around from CIG!
I disagree, the last reply from CIG was pretty clear, they did not agree or admit fault or liability they simply said they were going to terminate his account and end his participation, I don't think CIG wanted to pursue legal matters over 3k dollars but I wish they had as I feel this guy got away with one. It was also said by CIG that this idiot had made many more pledges after the expansion of the game was well known, so this guy knew there was going to be delay's and still made purchases. I do feel like this guy just has it out for SC and CIG and he is going to make all the noise he can.

We all know why this game has been delayed, it was never their intention nor prolly even what they felt remotely possible to get over a 100 million dollars in backing, when they found such a large backing and influx of money they kept building up the project, this guy knew that also he is just being a baby or maybe his wife found out he spent 3k dollars and had to get it back who knows, maybe he rang up his credit card debt and needs the money, whatever the reason he is a whiner and a scammer good riddance imo.

RedPandaRawr

Space Marshal
Dec 25, 2015
RSI Handle
Panda-Horo
i still dont see what would make them think that its a "scam" to begin with, its game development, it takes years to make a game of scale as this, at first the scop was small, now its massive, that and the game has regular updates

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
i still dont see what would make them think that its a "scam" to begin with
The game was promised to be completed by 2016 (on a smaller scale when there was only $6m in funding).

As funding grew, the scope of the game was increased.

So instead of launching a small shallow game in 2016, they opted to launch a massive game in 2018 (hopefully).

Some people do not understand game development or the definition of the word "scam".

thanatos73

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2014
RSI Handle
thanatos1973
I read the interview, and listened to the audio of it, and it sounded to me like he was upset(read:butthurt) about the drop-in campaign being dropped....which it wasn't, and VR not being in on day one. The straw that broke the camel's back was that the EULA was changed to read, something along the lines of, No Refunds as long as We are still in Development. Which he read, As long as someone writes a line of code for the game, we can keep your money, without ever actually releasing the game. The problem I have is, he NEVER played the game. Didn't download it, didn't log in to AC or the PU, NOTHING. So, he never saw, first hand, that it is progressing.

Another thing to point out, and this "thing" got me thinking, is, just think of the resources, programmers, concept artists, 3D artists, writers, EVERYTHING that is going to be freed up as soon as SQ42 launches. Development will speed up, and if the new patching system works out right, we will be getting updates faster. GO TEAM!!!!

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Some people do not understand game development or the definition of the word "scam".
Agreed. Some people are stupid.
I read the interview, and listened to the audio of it, and it sounded to me like he was upset(read:butthurt) about the drop-in campaign being dropped....which it wasn't, and VR not being in on day one. The straw that broke the camel's back was that the EULA was changed to read, something along the lines of, No Refunds as long as We are still in Development. Which he read, As long as someone writes a line of code for the game, we can keep your money, without ever actually releasing the game. The problem I have is, he NEVER played the game. Didn't download it, didn't log in to AC or the PU, NOTHING. So, he never saw, first hand, that it is progressing.

Another thing to point out, and this "thing" got me thinking, is, just think of the resources, programmers, concept artists, 3D artists, writers, EVERYTHING that is going to be freed up as soon as SQ42 launches. Development will speed up, and if the new patching system works out right, we will be getting updates faster. GO TEAM!!!!
Poor misguided little soul. Oh well. Bye bye.

As for your final paragraph...
Fucking eh rights! Good point.

Reactions: Rolo and AstroSam

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
The cost of lawyers being what it is, I am sure it was easier for them to just pay him. To be honest the game seems a very long way from any release and people are not patient by and large. I like some aspects of the game (not really a FPS player for instance) and It does seem like the goals keep growing, for instance given how fast ships keep coming out (i.e. slowly especially for anything even remotely large) is it really sensible to keep adding to the list? I know it adds to the cash pool but they are theoretically well over their goals for development. An awful lot of games do not live up to expectations either that's okay with a $50 dollar buy in but for $1000 bucks plus etc you are going to have to make it an awful brilliant game to make that worth while.

So far the game as is just pretty, content is sparse and there are problems at the moment with instancing and lag. I am not saying there is not promise but if those big issues are not fixed right (people have their own ideas what that is) this game might not succeed.

Now as someone who has ponied up the dough I really am hoping it works but I am also realistic in that I might just have gambled away a large chunk of cash. There are a lot more failed MMOs than successful ones. Fingers crossed. So if some have chosen to bail out I am not totally surprised.

Think about this a different way if a game was up for sale for $3000 dollars would you buy it?

Last edited:

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Another thing to point out, and this "thing" got me thinking, is, just think of the resources, programmers, concept artists, 3D artists, writers, EVERYTHING that is going to be freed up as soon as SQ42 launches. Development will speed up, and if the new patching system works out right, we will be getting updates faster.
I believe they've said that after Sq42 is finished they're moving directly into production for the second installment. So those programmers aren't going to be shifted to SC to make the mmo go faster.

Mog_No_1

Captain
Donor
May 3, 2016
RSI Handle
I believe they've said that after Sq42 is finished they're moving directly into production for the second installment. So those programmers aren't going to be shifted to SC to make the mmo go faster.
I was under the impression large staffing assests would be freed up for long awaited ship productions on all those outstanding jpegs alot of people have. The main assests have been made for s42, they wouldnt required the same manpower for part 2 I wouldnt think.

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
Sq42 is a good example though of expanding the scope of the "Goals", there was also the perhaps ill fated star marine as well. Neither of which would seem to allow you to fly your space fleet from which you they have been funded. Anyways still fingers crossed.

Forgot your password?