Streetroller gets a $3000 refund from CIG

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
http://www.pcinvasion.com/star-citizen-backer-earns-3k-refund-contacting-us-district-attorney

View: http://imgur.com/IIwd8sZ

The User named "Streetroller" claimed his right for repayment, based on the former terms of service by CIG wherein a release was stated latest around May 2016.
While that particular passage has been in the ToS since the beginning, Streetroller cites a different passage which potentially contradicts it. The passage Streetroller quotes was altered by CIG back in June. Streetroller says he never agreed to these ‘updated’ ToS. (...) The story doesn’t quite end there, because on 11 July (one day before his PayPal refunds show up) Streetroller was contacted by an investigator from the LA Department of Consumer and Business Affairs. After an hour long discussion about Star Citizen, Streetroller says he was told to encourage others to file complaints against CIG with the DCBA.
That makes me a little bit sad and I definetly hope that this won't become "the thing" trying to get the money back. This could ruin the whole backing/kickstarter philosophy and - perhaps - threaten the whole idea of the Star Citizen universe. Finally, there only will remain one group of winners, and that will be the lawyers.

The good thing I may see is that CIG possibly now speeds up things a little bit. That said, I am absolutely unsympathetic to this "Streetroller" for not avouching to his invest but instead playing chicken. Shame on him.

Murderer

Space Marshal
Jun 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Murderer
I agree. Although I'm disappointed it took drastic measures for this individual to get a refund, I feel that any money I have "pledged" is money I have donated to the cause. I hope this game proves alot of people wrong. I am in fact having a blast so far and see no reason for concern...

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
Thanks Sam, interesting read, But I have to admit. I am sticking with Star Citizen. I will ride this out to either a Happy glorious ending or the glowing embers of thousands of auroras as they crash into a sun in a final grand finale.

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
While it's unfair to call the game a "scam" because it didn't release on the original date, it's important to remember that just because we're all hopped up and horny for Star Citizen, CIG has to be held to every single consumer protection law regardless of the fact that they refuse to give refunds beyond 14 days as per the TOS. They made a declaration that the game would be done by a certain time. The scope changed and so did the date, but not everyone will be cool with that.

Most people seeking this type of reparation take the DS route of claiming "scam!", which is a bullshit claim as we all know, but think of how many kickstarted projects failed to complete and those backers were completely screwed. If we don't hold the companies we like accountable then we risk eroding our rights as consumers.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
Sour grapes is all this is. And such entitlement from my point of view. I'm sticking to this project to ride the lightning and see what happens. I have more than a bit of money put in and don't feel bad at wanting to see something like this succeed.

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
I really hope this doesn't lead to a whole avalanche of others trying to get their $$ back. Summer is apparently the time folks generally get a tad skeptical of CIG and I'd hate to lose funding over cold feet and loopholes.

NapalmX

Space Marshal
May 16, 2014
RSI Handle
UpUrShaft
I, for one, am very curious to see how his $3000.00 was pledged. With every pledge and purchase there is a TOS to agree to. But, alas, there is no timeline available to consult.

I can see someone dropping $3000.00 at the outset of the game's development demanding a refund because the scope of the game and time frame had changed from what was previously outlined. But to incrementally pledge money and then clamour for a full refund because you, as an individual, are not satisfied with what has been produced is something I don't understand nor agree with. It's like going to the same burger joint for years and getting sick on something you enjoyed eating before. You then proceed to produce all your receipts and demand a refund on all that you have purchased.

We all have given $$$ for pew-pew. It has taken longer than what was envisioned, that's true. But CIG has been keen from the beginning on showing not only the backers, but everyone, where the money has gone. And from the total funds pledged till now I can tell we don't mind waiting a bit longer.

Also I think that Streetroller claiming that the $3000 was "taken" from him in his correspondence with RSI is non-sensical, bordering on offensive. No one clicked on anything for him.

PS I'm in for $880.00 USD starting from Nov. 2012. Of my own free will.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake
CIG: you need to have another sale soon so us faithful many can start making up that $3000 for you. Purty please.

Sincerely,
The Patient and Understanding Ones.
All they have to do is release the polaris or anvil hurricane or another exploration ship between the size of a freelancer and carrack. They would earn 997,000+ in profit making up for the pesky 3,000. An average worker there probably make about 6k a month, 3k is 2 weeks pay for someone. CR could take a pay cut for 2 weeks and make up for that plus some.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
All they have to do is release the polaris or anvil hurricane or another exploration ship between the size of a freelancer and carrack. They would earn 997,000+ in profit making up for the pesky 3,000. An average worker there probably make about 6k a month, 3k is 2 weeks pay for someone. CR could take a pay cut for 2 weeks and make up for that plus some.
My God. All of this would be glorious. I need to win a lotto thingy.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
God Bless Americas legal system. Lets hope his lawyer took his pound of flesh in a more direct manner ;)

The thing is... as they pledged 3k its a game they WILL want to play, or they would not have dumped so much cash in to it... so obviously once finished, they will come back...

I take it CR would rise above it all and not be so petty as to deny them the right to pay their $50 and join in, but I can imagine life would get pretty hard once "User 2567392"'s secret identity as the guy who took CIG to court came out... They'd be public enemy number 1!

They'd have to limit themselves to SQ42, assuming there was no impossibility code set up in it when they registered (like when games were pirated and they then became impossible to play because an invulnerable enemy would spawn).

Off topic - How do you pronounce that ex-backers name? I am reading it as Stree-Troller...

Last edited:

Bigcracker

Space Marshal
Feb 2, 2015
RSI Handle
Bigcracker8789
He wasn't the first and he wont be the last. 1 million people registered on RSI since 2012, some are upset its been 4 years with no full game which is understandable. when you have that many people waiting, some of which thought that it would only take 2-3 years tops you are going to have some disgruntle customers and look for a way to get back at CIG. You are/might see a couple more in the next couple months because this guy got his money back and imo the game wont be coming out to fall next year at minimum you are going to see more upset people.

This is why I take the approach I did, I play other games and do other things. Star Citizen will be here when its ready and I am always going to be a gamer.

Mog_No_1

Captain
Donor
May 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Look, in the end he hasn't been the first trying to get out of the game and certainly wont be the last. Places like Reddit, lives and breaths with people hitting the wall needing to recoup the moneys spent on a product not delivered and is still unlikely to have the final game PU before 2018. I dont think you can hate him for it. This guy however has gone straight to the source to recoup moneys spent, thats the only difference. Me personally I'm sticking in here and will spend more moneys on a game I'm looking forward to and the journey there. However, CIG needs to be proactive with all this and take us all on a journey to the other side. There has been too much hush hush and lacking in any great detail or timelines about this journey to date until its right infront of us. This however I hope will be better addressed in the new subscriber content scheduled for the coming future. So far have seen more going on in the workings of CIG in ATV episode 100 than in the previous 20. I hope things will continue to move in a possitive direction, dont let me down CIG, take us all on a journey.......

calling SHOTGUN!!!! :D

Forgot your password?