Suggestions for a good skeleton watch under $300?

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
So I don't wear watches,
but I need to wear one for my LSAT prep and actual exam.
I'm looking for a good oversized case (50mm+) skeleton wrist watch with minute marks and super easy to read for around $300 or so...
I need it oversized so I can see it super quick and easy.
And I need minute marks so I can accurately time how much I spend on each question of the test.
A diver swivel ring thingy would be great too, so I can spin it around to give my self-time limits if I'm on a super hard question.

Some caveats,
I hear the Chinese made ones can fail and I need one reliable but not too expensive since only going to wear it for a few months.
The watch is also per LSAT people not allowed to have a built-in stop watch.

Currently looking at Invicta watch options but I'd need to get the faceplate changed out for minute marks.

And Swatch

But the Swatch is a little too small of a case

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Last edited:

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
$300 just to keep track of time in a test? Why not look at the clock on the wall for free?

lol and why don't you take the test and try to score in the 170s since you're such a smart ass?
Don't tell me how to spend my money Print, you're not my wife!

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Oh no, not again, please don't, nooooo...
I can feel the addiction coming back again! I used to spend hours looking at mostly-cheap watch sites, and had a 10/10 spidey-sense to spot the ones that actually cost over a 1000 usd among the 50usd ones lol.

I don't know much about actual quality of watches but by holding a few Invicta watches I found em cheap and shoddy compared to their price ( selling for 200-300usd at the stands in malls, while 50usd on ebay).
What I'd do is look for some used ones in pawn shops, Craigslist and such, you can come across proper Bulova, Fossil, and such brand names around the 300 mark.

Here's a few random ones I just found that more or less match your description I think:

Good luck!

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock
The issue with some skeletons at the cheaper end is they cut cost on materials in regards to the actual mechanism. Obviously you are not looking to drop 20000$ on a Chronoswiss, but an issue is most skeleton watches are not made for diving so you lose out on the swivel. Not to mention you want a clearly visible watch and I hate to say it but skeleton watches are an accent piece first and a functional timepiece second, most are not designed, especially at a cheaper price point like 300$, to be easily visible.

This Seiko is reasonably cheap for a watch and I have heard good things about it. It's easy to see and has a dive swivel. https://www.amazon.com/Seiko-SKX007K-Divers-Automatic-Watch/dp/B000B5MI3Q?tag=geapat-20

They do make watches designed specifically for use during the LSAT, they are around 40$ or something but I have heard some mixed reviews about the amazon ones, this one looks decent but I don't know much about it. https://answerwatch.com/

Ammorn

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
Ammorn

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
@Ammorn thank you, but
  • Can't be digital per LSAT rules.
  • Can't have a dedicated stopwatch functionality
  • Also, the LSAT watches fail often so won't use those.
@O-Lefty

lol I've been doing that already
see pic links in OP, except I'm not buying a $20 watch so it can fail on me.
The LSAT watches fail, not gonna use a super cheap watch.

@Printimus Do they make one that's mauled?

@everyone
Already decided on what I'm looking for, stop trying to change my mind!
I'm not Chowder.

@Lorddarthvik Thank you, I was looking at those ones too
@August that's a beautiful $10K watch

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Why not go for something classy like a nice pocket watch with some style, then you can enjoy it after the exam to.. ;)
(Pictures link to online store)

CHEERS!

Side note: You could add a WW1 leather wrist carry for the pocket watch to..

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
When you go for a mechanical watch remember you have to get them serviced every 3 years or they start loosing/gaining time something chronic.

I used to collect Oris and they are wonderful pieces of engineering but in the end I just couldn't justify the price of maintenance on the collection once it started to grow a fraction.

I can live with +/- 5 seconds a day of mechanicals or even 15/20 seconds but when it started to get to about a minute a day without sending it for maintenence I thought to myself it's probbably time to get myself a radio-controlled watch for the price it would have cost to get one of my mechanicals serviced, so I did. No offence to my Oris collection it's wonderful and I have a limited Rotary which is only one of 500 on earth and has been worn a grand total of once, but I just didn't have the commitment to keeping them running as sweet as I wanted them to in the end.

What is LSAT anyway?

Last edited:

Metal-Muffin

Space Marshal
Aug 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Metal-Muffin
I got my wife a Stuhrling skeleton watch 5 years ago and have had no issues. I think it was ~$180

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
@Mich Angel You're a bloody genius! I didn't think to google Skeleton pocket watches and use a pocket watch wrist band... bloody brilliant!
Big Dial, just missing diver's ring but.. yea... Imma Google-fu the shiznit out of that!

@NaffNaffBobFace The LSAT is the test to see if you're smart enough to be an attorney... basically. It's a test designed purposely to make people fail. Each of the 5 sections is impossible to take your time and read/complete unless you are a speed reading/comprehending genius. And the questions are worded in a difficult way to provide the answer. It's not really a knowledge test, it's more of an aptitude test but on steroids. I did a practice test yesterday... it's a hard test man. And I normally ace all the standardized tests I've taken. Gonna be busting my ass studying for the next few months.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
don't understand why a skeleton watch is necessary

the detail is a distraction that makes them harder to read

sounds like you want a diver's watch with a rotating bezel you can use to track time

Seiko makes <$300 mechanical dive watches that are well regarded by watch geeks for their reliability and value

check 'em out at amazon or jomashop.com

watch modding is my new thing

I want a Seiko SKX-007 dive watch for all the cool ways it can be customized

edit: those same watch geeks I mentioned hate Invictas

Last edited:

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
When you go for a mechanical watch remember you have to get them serviced every 3 years or they start loosing/gaining time something chronic...
the person that restored my grandfather's gold presentation watch says that a modern water-resistant watch only needs servicing once every five or ten years if it's not abused

Forgot your password?