Suggestions for the Current Forum!

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
This thread needs to be moved and stickied in the GD section so it can get more exposure.
I've noticed that almost everything posted in GD would be appropriate for one of the specialized subforums

people are lazy

creating new sections for propaganda, etc won't necessarily raise their visibility

the forums are fine, how about a wiki for content like Test culture, tutorials, and so forth?

almost anything that could be stickied belongs in a wiki

stickies just make it a PITA to get to the new, topical stuff we come to the forums for, too much scrolling required

chrizz

Digital Janitor
Staff member
Officer
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
chrizz

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
don't confuse sensibility with sanity

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Well that time is now. Hire a person or group of people to make an official website for us for testsquadron.com with the forum being a link off of that.
We are ahead of you, Seung already has the infrastructure on place to do what we need. We do need to hire anybody, and should we need assistance, we have all the talent in house.

The portal we need is actually already implemented, just not being used. Seung informs me that our front page is actually customizable way beyond what you are seeing at the moment. Xenforo forums should be getting an update soon and its possible a native portal system is arriving with that, so we are holding off.

Another issue is that when Xenforo has security updates, the portal system may not be compatible, and there is always the chance the the maker of the portal system simply walks away and never bothers to update it.

We can currently move blocks around and put more up on the front page. We will play around with this in the coming days.

deletem22.png

Last edited:

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
As the resident neoliberalconservativelibertarianarchosyndicalist I demand everything to be changed for the better without changing anything.

In all seriousness, i don't think we should worry about things like security on here. nothing really important should ever be discussed on these forums, but shared through secure channels between leadership. In terms of improvement, I'm not sure what you could do. Our manifesto is on RSI and it's good there. If they're coming here, they already know what we're about. a portal would just be additional hassle. Perhaps allow users to customize it for themselves? Show feed from what sections they care about, see backgrounds as they want, perhaps give the option to have a rolling notifications feed in place of a "recent forum activity" feed

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
I've noticed that almost everything posted in GD would be appropriate for one of the specialized subforums
It's honestly more like 1 in 5 threads (if not fewer) that could be moved to a different subforum, but certainly not "almost everything". Of the first page of GD right now 3 could be moved.

creating new sections for propaganda, etc won't necessarily raise their visibility
Almost any changes made to the media forum in regards to propaganda would certainly raise visibility. Right now, if someone wanted to see all of our propaganda images, they have to dig through thread after thread to find them (and even then, plenty of images aren't even posted in the media forum so they just sit undiscovered).

the forums are fine, how about a wiki for content like Test culture, tutorials, and so forth?
I'm all for having a wiki. Let's see who would be interested in creating and maintaining one. A simple Wikia page would be easy to start and if something more official is created it wouldn't be terribly difficult to merge over. I volunteer myself when I have time, but I don't want to take the lead on that project.

almost anything that could be stickied belongs in a wiki
While there are a few threads that might not need to be stickied any longer (for whatever reason), moving things to a wiki prevents discussion and reduces visibility (which is the entire point of a sticky!). If there's something that needs to be preserved or laid out in a way that allows commenting without derailment then yes, put it in a wiki.

stickies just make it a PITA to get to the new, topical stuff we come to the forums for, too much scrolling required
Out of all of the subforums, GD has the most stickied threads with 5. Two of those are Ship Talk. Chances are very good that ST will be moving to an articles section (or something similar) so then we're down to 3 threads to scroll past. What would you suggest be done to alleviate having to bypass those?

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
We are ahead of you, Seung already has the infrastructure on place to do what we need. We do need to hire anybody, and should we need assistance, we have all the talent in house.

The portal we need is actually already implemented, just not being used. Seung informs me that our front page is actually customizable way beyond what you are seeing at the moment. Xenforo forums should be getting an update soon and its possible a native portal system is arriving with that, so we are holding off.

Another issue is that when Xenforo has security updates, the portal system may not be compatible, and there is always the chance the the maker of the portal system simply walks away and never bothers to update it.

We can currently move blocks around and put more up on the front page. We will play around with this in the coming days.

View attachment 731
Not really what i was talking about. Thats just the forum homepage. Think of the RSI homepage. Thats what I'm going for here that feel and organization.

Flashwit

Space Marshal
Nov 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Flashwit
Maybe I'm just a less is more kind of guy when it comes to web stuff, but the background hero video seems cool, but is going to be a bad time for people on a slow connection or otherwise shitty computer.

I can use my work computer as a performance testbed because it's pretty middling and it can't handle that website. You can see what I mean if you run Google's Page Speed Insights on it, it's pretty bad.

I don't know exactly what wordpress theme it is, but there is an absurd amount of css and javascript running.

It does look nice though.

Reactions: Fenrig

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
Maybe I'm just a less is more kind of guy when it comes to web stuff, but the background hero video seems cool, but is going to be a bad time for people on a slow connection or otherwise shitty computer.

I can use my work computer as a performance testbed because it's pretty middling and it can't handle that website. You can see what I mean if you run Google's Page Speed Insights on it, it's pretty bad.

I don't know exactly what wordpress theme it is, but there is an absurd amount of css and javascript running.

It does look nice though.
Part of me agrees with keeping it simple, and not overloading people on slow connections/shoeboxes.

Most of me says if they can't handle a fancy webpage, there's no way they can handle Star Citizen.

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
Part of me agrees with keeping it simple, and not overloading people on slow connections/shoeboxes.

Most of me says if they can't handle a fancy webpage, there's no way they can handle Star Citizen.
I kind of had the same feeling. At first I was thinking its a hog, then quickly thought that as well. If they cant load that snappy then they can not play SC.

Fenrig

Rear Admiral
May 25, 2015
RSI Handle
Fenrig

While absolutely true, The site should be accessible to systems that we have no intention of running SC on as well.

Reactions: honcho12
Forgot your password?