Suggestions for the Current Forum!

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
FINE, be all logical and right. See if I care.

Fenrig

Rear Admiral
May 25, 2015
RSI Handle
Fenrig
hey now! logic? no no no everyone needs to calm down and drink a beer right now!
I'm at work for at least another four hours.

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
While absolutely true, The site should be accessible to systems that we have no intention of running SC on as well.
I think this is definitely something to take into consideration. I do far more posting from work than my boss would appreciate if he knew and there is just no way that my work computer can efficiently load a page like that.

Would it be possible to have an account setting that bypasses the totally kick-ass welcome/splash screen? Of course I'm assuming most of the child pages (forums, SoTS, articles, etc) would not be parallax/super high def so it would be possible to just jump directly to a page that is easier to load should that be an issue.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
I think this is definitely something to take into consideration. I do far more posting from work than my boss would appreciate if he knew and there is just no way that my work computer can efficiently load a page like that.

Would it be possible to have an account setting that bypasses the totally kick-ass welcome/splash screen? Of course I'm assuming most of the child pages (forums, SoTS, articles, etc) would not be parallax/super high def so it would be possible to just jump directly to a page that is easier to load should that be an issue.
Take that page with a grain of salt at this time. There is room to really tighten it up so it will load better. It has a bunch of stuff that can be cut down without sacrificing the main look and feel of the page. It is just an example of what can be done for look. It has next to no functionality.

Fenrig

Rear Admiral
May 25, 2015
RSI Handle
Fenrig
It has a bunch of stuff that can be cut down without sacrificing the main look and feel of the page.
As I said before, I'm not really a fan of the single-page design layout. I like my content segmented and divided clearly. Pages like that are fine as a layout of a single topic (for example as the page for a given model of a vehicle), but I think they are ill-suited to be used as the singular page for almost everything (obviously forums couldn't be on that page). If for no other reason than it confuses me sometimes that I've scrolled to a different topic and I start wondering why something is talking about the specs of something when I quite clearly clicked on the link for features (note: it was because the features section was a single fucking line of text).

If we're talking about making pages like that for different gameplay styles (exploration page, dogefighting page, resource gathering page, etc.) or to be tutorials I think it'd work quite well. As a single portal/landing page though I think they are poorly suited and frankly getting to be over-used.

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt

You would just need to bookmark the site on another page like you probably have it now. In the link they provided they use welcome.testsquadron making it a start page but completely bybassably :)

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
Take that page with a grain of salt at this time. There is room to really tighten it up so it will load better. It has a bunch of stuff that can` be cut down without sacrificing the main look and feel of the page. It is just an example of what can be done for look. It has next to no functionality.
That makes sense. I have literally zero experience with webdev so I'm just blindly asking questions and saying things as they come to me lol.

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
If you click around the page it only goes to things on that page and that is is.
Yeah, I saw that and also how the different org divisions all have the same descriptive text. I knew it was a dummy page, but I'm simply more ignorant than I would care to be when it comes to the finer minutia of web optimization.

Flashwit

Space Marshal
Nov 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Flashwit
Yeah, it's not a big deal right now since we're not actually using that page for anything. Just something to think about for the future.

o-BHG-o

Space Marshal
Mar 25, 2014
RSI Handle
o-BHG-o
Is the jump to top/bottom of page button available in the 'immersion' theme?
I'm on mobile and its only there in the dark/light theme.

Forgot your password?