Summer 2018 Lego Technic Sets

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
At least CIG is building it for us! Lego is Self-Assembly!
I would counter that Lego sets come out in a reasonable time frame, there are no concept sales, the price is (usually) good, and that building them is a lot less frustrating than playing and finding out game mechanics are broken to hell.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I would counter that Lego sets come out in a reasonable time frame, there are no concept sales, the price is (usually) good, and that building them is a lot less frustrating than playing and finding out game mechanics are broken to hell.
Lol, valid points!

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
They don't call it plastic crack for nothing. I maintain though its better than a 40K addiction.
About the only things that compete (besides SC) are things like 40k, car collecting/modifying/racing...and Model railroading.

My dad had a huge O-gauge display in his basement. He even had a few of the G gauge trains...but my mom put her foot down HARD when he suggested putting in a 1/8 scale set to go around the yard...

Is it any wonder we went to the local railway museum EVERY Father’s Day?

For reference, here is an example of what they go for retail

G scale trains
http://titantrains.net/locomotives/

Reactions: Bambooza

wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
I've been hesitating to invest in SC for a long time. But then, when I learned about melting, upgrades and grey market, I suddenly realized that SC ships and store credits are equivalents to Lego sets and bricks.

I used to play with Lego a lot when I was young -- this was probably one of the factors that influenced me to become an engineer. I've been usually playing with a newly purchased set for a while, then disassembling it and adding all new bricks to the growing collection of parts, so I could build something completely new, bigger, and better.

So, buying a new set was expensive as hell, however it wasn't just a new toy that would eventually end in some bin overflown with hundreds of other old toys -- I could "melt" it at any time and use its parts with the parts coming from other sets to build a new thing. This is how I see SC ships and melting procedure. You can buy a new "set", but you can "disassemble" it at (theoretically) any time, and use its "parts" to acquire new "set". You can even sell everything on the grey market when you're done with SC or when your wife finds out how much did you spend on the game.

/ One of my last creations (2008) based on 8275; remote controlled, 4 motors, independent suspension, led lights...

Last edited:
Forgot your password?