Switching to Windows 10 ?

o-BHG-o

Space Marshal
Mar 25, 2014
RSI Handle
o-BHG-o
Are you going to switch to Windows 10 asap ?
Yes

Are you going to wait until it's tested by others?
No

Do you fear any incompatibilities with your gear or games?
Not really, could raise support calls for broken things?

Do you have a legit Windows copy or not?
Erm, do technet iso's and keys count (I think they do, I is legit)

I have already backed up everything I need to, not a lot as most directories are pointing to my NAS. I'm going to do a fresh install of Win7 from ISO then hit the Windows updates, including the Win10 update.

Then we shall see. I will be installing all my games on Steam (to a 1TB sata HDD) and steam backup the whole installation. I will test and benchmark a bunch of games in the process and report back.

If I update with WIN74EVER, well, take a guess...

Serious Table

Admiral
Nov 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Serious_Table
If anyone needs another voice of support, I've been running Windows 10 as my main OS both in my office and at home. Runs absolutely solid. Any issues I had prior to the most recent push were honestly minor in day to day use, and all appear to have been fixed with the update this morning.

Have yet to run into a game that didn't run. I DID have an issue with my X55 (which has rendered it useless), but research shows that a great number of people across the entire spectrum of OSes were having the same issue; that's on Saitek, not Windows.

All in all, highly recommended. And with the streamlined update process, you've got no reason to not upgrade. All of your data and installed files will be there when you finish; hell, you won't even have to change your background, 'cause it'll remember that, too!

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
My first attempt at updating went to hell. It got stuck on 35% of Changing Settings for 2 hours. Then I decided to reboot and reverted back to 8.1 automatically and gave me a message that Windows 10 failed to install with a problem in SECOND BOOT phase during MIGRATE DATA. Will try again because I'm a masochist.

Guss De Blöd

Admiral
Donor
Jul 22, 2015
RSI Handle
gussdeblod
switched to windows 10 1 hour ago.
everything works well.
star citizen runs exactly the same.

only boring thing: geforce experience won't launch anymore, I can't disable shadowplay XD

Shenanigons

Captain
Jul 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Shenanigons
Why did they include bloatware on Windows 10? That's a first, far as I know...
There's no such thing as a free lunch (Or OS that is). Its part of their plan with the free OS release to recoup costs via micro transactions rather than upfront OS purchase.

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
There's no such thing as a free lunch (Or OS that is). Its part of their plan with the free OS release to recoup costs via micro transactions rather than upfront OS purchase.
Well, too fucking bad, Microsoft. I'm going to gut your operating system to the point where your bullshit won't even affect me.

Op4ArcticFox

Space Marshal
May 9, 2014
RSI Handle
Op4ArcticFox
I work at a Microsoft office, many people use 10 now (dogfood the shit out of that) and I have heard pretty much nothing but good things. For everything from usability, to performance, to support for games. I would recommend making the switch when/if you can.

Reactions: mromutt

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
I work at a Microsoft office, many people use 10 now (dogfood the shit out of that) and I have heard pretty much nothing but good things. For everything from usability, to performance, to support for games. I would recommend making the switch when/if you can.
You mean you work at the Microsoft campus in Redmond? If so, would you be willing to look into whether or not they'd be able to hire me on? :P

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
I have switched to it as a NO BRAINER.
Actually I have tried 6 technical preview builds prior to release, so I have followed their bug squashing progress.
I am impressed.

Reactions: mromutt

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
I have switched to it as a NO BRAINER.
Actually I have tried 6 technical preview builds prior to release, so I have followed their bug squashing progress.
I am impressed.
yeah after doing all the preview builds I did not even think twice about upgrading instantly

thanatos73

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2014
RSI Handle
thanatos1973
I was running the preview builds on my laptop for a while (2+ months) before I even thought about putting it on my desktop. In the beginning there were a few Video driver issues, but they got squashed pretty quick, and once I was happy with the build I installed it on the desktop. Its had 3 or 4 preview builds on it, and like I said before, the only issue so far is CorsairLINK.

UnderSc0re

Space Marshal
Mar 17, 2015
RSI Handle
UnderSc0re
I was running the preview builds on my laptop for a while (2+ months) before I even thought about putting it on my desktop. In the beginning there were a few Video driver issues, but they got squashed pretty quick, and once I was happy with the build I installed it on the desktop. Its had 3 or 4 preview builds on it, and like I said before, the only issue so far is CorsairLINK.
They updated it yesterday to work.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/support/downloads

Can't find the blog post but I updated it and Windows said I was ready unlike yesterday after work.

EDIT:
Found it
http://www.corsair.com/en/landing/corsair-link-dashboard#page=download

Last edited:
Reactions: thanatos73
Forgot your password?