Switching to Windows 10 ?

Space Monkey

Vice Admiral
Donor
Feb 21, 2015
RSI Handle
FlyingSpaceMonkey
Saw this article this morning and thought I'd post it here. I know someone else mentioned this particular issue already but you know...

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/07/windows-10-shares-your-wi-fi-with-contacts/

suggestions:
  1. Prior to upgrade to Windows 10, change your Wi-Fi network name/SSID to something that includes the terms “_nomap_optout”.
  2. After the upgrade is complete, change the privacy settings in Windows to disable Wi-Fi Sense sharing.
  3. If you haven’t already done so, consider additional steps to harden the security of your Wi-Fi network.

UnderSc0re

Space Marshal
Mar 17, 2015
RSI Handle
UnderSc0re
Saw this article this morning and thought I'd post it here. I know someone else mentioned this particular issue already but you know...

suggestions:
  1. Prior to upgrade to Windows 10, change your Wi-Fi network name/SSID to something that includes the terms “_nomap_optout”.
  2. After the upgrade is complete, change the privacy settings in Windows to disable Wi-Fi Sense sharing.
  3. If you haven’t already done so, consider additional steps to harden the security of your Wi-Fi network.
This is so dumb. I'm not changing my SSID. I have like 20 devices hooked up to it. Hopefully there's another way to turn it off for now. Most of my contacts that come over to my place already have the password anyway. Is there any major hole in besides Friends getting on your network? Also I live on the 3rd story of an brick apartment that is in a valley surrounded my trees. I barely get CBS and NBC on Sundays let alone my connection going much farther than a few doors down and my garage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ichiru

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt

suggestions:
I actually looked into this when it rolled out in the preview, it doesn't just share your wifi passes. You have to share them or set who they can be shared with, otherwise it will not share private keys. Though open keys (open wifi networks) will be.

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
This is so dumb. I'm not changing my SSID. I have like 20 devices hooked up to it. Hopefully there's another way to turn it off for now. Most of my contacts that come over to my place already have the password anyway. Is there any major hole in besides Friends getting on your network? Also I live on the 3rd story of an brick apartment that is in a valley surrounded my trees. I barely get CBS and NBC on Sundays let alone my connection going much farther than a few doors down and my garage.
You can just set it to share with who you want or no one.

Chairman Meow

Grand Admiral
Jan 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Chabby
Had to disable a few services last night before it would begin the upgrade, went from 7 to 10 in about 20min and all went smoothly. :)

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
I haven't had the best experience so far. The upgrade went smoothly enough, but my network adapter wouldn't recognize my router, so no internet. I decided to go back to 7 until I could find a fix. Now I'm trying to log in to 7, but my computer isn't accepting input from keyboard or mouse. I can't even get into the bios screen. I'm mildly perturbed. By which I mean I'm posting here so I don't get into a screaming match with my computer.

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
Seriously?
Does your router have DNS set properly and does it announce itself over the network?
Could it be your network adapter in the PC?

Network is the ONE thing that is 100% flawless on most configurations when concerning Windows 10 lol.
Must be some weird setting or firewall on your end.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
Seriously?
Does your router have DNS set properly and does it announce itself over the network?
Could it be your network adapter in the PC?

Network is the ONE thing that is 100% flawless on most configurations when concerning Windows 10 lol.
Must be some weird setting or firewall on your end.
I totally suspect the network adapter. It's a Killer e2200 network adapter, and the software has given me some issues since I first installed the motherboard.

But that is less important. Because currently, I can't even get my computer to recognize the keyboard and mouse.

thanatos73

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2014
RSI Handle
thanatos1973
So, I almost had the same kind of issue. I was running on an old USB wireless adapter, and it took a crap, so, I dug out my 50' CAT5 cable and viola, .......... no internet, after a fewminutes of checking connections, I right clicked on the network icon, launched the troubleshooter, and here I am. It turned out to be a DNS issue. And Windows actually fixed it, automatically.

Reactions: mromutt

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
Well Killer is a specialized piece of hardware and it heavily relies on proprietary software.
If they have Windows 8.1 64bit drivers on their site, you can use those in Windows 10 also.

Reactions: mromutt

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
happy Mac and Chromebook user

I will pay for a copy of Windows when I build my gaming box

there's a first time for everything

Forgot your password?