TEST simpit, BEST simpit

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Wow! The only thing you're missing is the high tech diapers astronauts wear in the EVA suit.

Only if you're flying a light fighter with no bathrooms though. If you're in a Origin 600 or something, you can step out. Maximum realism!

Reactions: marcsand2

GPcustoms

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 3, 2019
RSI Handle
GPcustom
When I retired I thought"hey Ill make a sim pit of my own",..Not so much, more of a sim mess so I grabbed an off the shelf. This creation you custom built is the real deal :o7: . Your a very talented young man marcsand2!!! Very talented:like:

Reactions: marcsand2

Merc4now

Ensign
Jan 2, 2020
RSI Handle
Merc4now1
Awesome build @marcsand2 !

I found your build through google. I've only been into star citizen for less then a year and recently decided to build a sim pit. Few questions if you don't mind, seeing the mostly glass cockpit has totally changed my ideal of hacking keyboards and building audrino controllers. since i have a ton of older tablets from my teenages boys who don't use them anymore. could I get info on what interface you use? or is it the one that is blanting advertised when you join the site? Glass pass? I just recently joined guys so please dont shame me for not searching a ton on this site yet but is there any detailed info on your tablet specs and touchscreen/graphic interface set up? is it hard to change ships or once its all set up just a profile load or something? regardless really awesome build

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
First I tried Roccat Powergrid, but that had a fixed grid. I couldn't line it up with the tablets behind the Cougar MFDs. I still use Roccat on the 2 side displays, for its default system and sound panel. Development of Roccat is now halted, you can't publish any custom Power Grids anymore.
Then I switched to LEA extended input. LEA is fully customizable, it even uses VJoy,. The only catch of LEA is that it is tablet-develop-oriented. You could design your screens on a tablet... with PC you emulate a tablet. That causes a lot mouse action, very precise positioning is harder. The Shield and Power screen are tons of layers above each other and mimic animation. A lot of work, but I published my screens at LEA extended input.
Game Glass are fixed screens and you must pay if you want to use multiple tablets. My tablets aren't that old, but they aren't supported... 3 Samsung Galaxy and 2 Asus tablets... Not exactly exotic tablets, but still not supported. 3 good reason why not to use Game Glass. The animations however are more advanced, but I probably can't get them good aligned behind the MFDs.

Reactions: Blind Owl

819ANT

Grand Admiral
Feb 22, 2020
RSI Handle
819ANT
Amazing build and i'm hoping to try and emulate this as soon as i can do you have a set of rough drawings/dimensions.
I know i will have to change them slightly to fit my own sizes and equipment but would be great to get a starting point to work out from.
Also planning on adding castors to it so i can wheel it around and get in the way of the wife more and maybe add heated seat from a car for the comfort level on my old back.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Amazing build and i'm hoping to try and emulate this as soon as i can do you have a set of rough drawings/dimensions.
I know i will have to change them slightly to fit my own sizes and equipment but would be great to get a starting point to work out from.
Then I must go through the archives 😅It is a bit complicated. I initially build to fit underneath a desk, but then I realized that I would need a monitor stand on the desk..... why not just completely get rid of the desk and build the monitor stand on the side consoles. More stability.

Also planning on adding castors to it so i can wheel it around and get in the way of the wife more and maybe add heated seat from a car for the comfort level on my old back.
The chair is on wheels, otherwise I would have to climb out of the pit.

Last edited:

819ANT

Grand Admiral
Feb 22, 2020
RSI Handle
819ANT
Any and all measurements would be amazing :D and yes i was trying to work out the entry and exit. having the chair roll out the way is the best idea.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Any and all measurements would be amazing :D and yes i was trying to work out the entry and exit. having the chair roll out the way is the best idea.
For the entry and exit I choose for a base plate with wheels, the plate slides in 2 aluminum U profiles. That was for me the best way to prevent it from rotating when kicking the rudder pedals. Initial I also made 2 locking holes to bolt the plate tight, but friction worked out pretty good. Pretty easy to slide backwards, but not easy enough to slide when kicking the rudder pedals. I never lock the base plate.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
This is on scale. Side consoles are the most important part. You must build around them. I used default plywood sheets of 1200x600x15. That wasn't enough for the height, but no problem. The whole construction is too heavy to carry it around, so I build it to be assembled and disassembled. The side consoles bolted between the base plate and top construction are rock solid.
On this drawing are 4 parts:
  • base plate, 1050 x 1950 (that was a hell of a job to get that in my car, Golf IV)
  • 2 side consoles, 1200 x 600
  • top construction, a combination of beams and a plate of 1050 x 450
1613689129934.png

819ANT

Grand Admiral
Feb 22, 2020
RSI Handle
819ANT
thats great thank you didnt realise you used 15mm ply going to be very sturdy and heavy and unmovable means the wife wont be able to throw it out so thats a bonus :D

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
thats great thank you didnt realise you used 15mm ply going to be very sturdy and heavy and unmovable means the wife wont be able to throw it out so thats a bonus :D
The plywood sheets of the side consoles are self supporting, no frame. The beams are used to bolt different parts together. The side consoles have fixed side and front face. The rear face is removable.... but actually I never closed the back.
Obviously, the horizontal display stand / top construction has to support itself with the displays on top. Since I still wanted to have some usable desk space, the whole display stand can slide backwards.
The center part is supported by 4 wheels, as close as possible towards the side consoles to prevent sag. The sides are supported by the beam on the slides. It is a property of wood. Under constant weight, it will sag.
You can clearly see how the construction is put together in the assemble photo series: https://testsquadron.com/threads/test-simpit-best-simpit.10684/post-182293

Forgot your password?